Help! White smoke

Hooverscon

Jun 24, 2018
USA
I recently purchased a 88' B7200 with 335 hours at an estate sale. The tractor was meticulous maintained by a mechanic. When I cold start the tractor it will puff out white smoke for approximately 5 seconds then will go away. Could this be a blown head gasket?? I have a video but I can't figure out how to upload it.

Eise

Equipment
B7100
Jun 25, 2018
Groningen, The Netherlands
How long are you pre-glowing before starting the engine? It just sounds like unburnt fuel due to a cold engine, not really something to worry about. Try pre-glowing for longer, I pre-glow my B7100 for atleast 20 seconds before starting.

You can upload your video to Vimeo or YouTube and share the link here.

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan
I fail to see any issues with it, as said glow it 10 seconds longer.

I think minimum on the older stuff was 30 seconds.

Diesels smoke......

Eise

Equipment
B7100
Jun 25, 2018
Groningen, The Netherlands
I wouldn't worry about it either, just glow it a little longer. I doubt it's anything serious like a head gasket or a leaking injector or something. You can keep an eye on your coolant level just for peace of mind. (Keeping track of your fluid levels is a good habit anyway)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I recently purchased a 88' B7200 with 335 hours at an estate sale. The tractor was meticulous maintained by a mechanic. When I cold start the tractor it will puff out white smoke for approximately 5 seconds then will go away. Could this be a blown head gasket?? I have a video but I can't figure out how to upload it.
Most if not all "aged" tractors will smoke a bit when started ........once started and run for a bit, thats when the smoke should be gone!!!

You have a bit a raw diesel that is not burned - I would not worry 'bout it and press on!;)

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My old Kubota does that too on starting, and smokes a bit under load too sometimes. No other signs of issues, so don't worry.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It looks to me that it has either weak glow plugs or more likely weak leaky injectors.

The Puffs and the erratic RPM tell me that.

It's not really that bad, but if you want it to run better you could look into both those areas. ;)

RickCf

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, 5ft Land Pride Rotary Cutter , 5ft Land Pride Tiller, Misc. other imp.
Jun 7, 2018
Hernando, MS
It looks to me that it has either weak glow plugs or more likely weak leaky injectors.

It's not really that bad, but if you want it to run better you could look into both those areas. ;)
I thought the same thing when I saw the video. I said one of the glow plugs is not getting hot. Either burnt out or a bad connection. They won't last forever.

kevinj

Equipment
L3940hstc - B7500hst - BX1860 - Farmall 560D - Farmall M
Jun 4, 2018
Michigan

If ya want to see an old diesel smoke.......Be around my old 560 when a plug burns out!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the 400 come a part that I drove smoked bad when cold too, needed plugged in or ether below about 55 but man it would pull when that turbo got wound up!!!

Nothing from the stack but hot air!!!!!!!