Help needed.Dropped bolt in thermostat housing G1800

philkent

Jan 21, 2012
australia
Dropped bolt but cant see it .WAs taking out thermostat to check it and carelessly dropped the bolt. THe hosing does a bend and fished around with a bit of wire but no luck.Was thinking of getting a magnet to put down to the bend. Could it have entered the engine?It looks like you have to remove the fan to take the thermostat housing out.Any advice welcome

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Magnet idea seems plausible.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
1. try cheap flexible magnetic pickup tool...the dollar store ones with small rare earth magnets work
2. if doesn't work try a borescope camera and magnetic pickup tool
3. if all else fails, ask your wife or life partner to look for a stray bolt on the ground up to 20 feet from the tractor.
4. start disassembling cooling system parts

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
1. ...
2. .....
3. if all else fails, ask your wife or life partner to look for a stray bolt on the ground up to 20 feet from the tractor.
Working on the grass is a curse of the devil. I resolved a lot of “lost parts” issues when Horrible Fright put their roller-magnet on sale. Has come in very handy in the grass...on the floor... on concrete.... HF has them regularly priced as low as $11. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Magnet
It’s amazing how those little parts disappear in plain daylight.

philkent

Jan 21, 2012
australia
1. try cheap flexible magnetic pickup tool...the dollar store ones with small rare earth magnets work
2. if doesn't work try a borescope camera and magnetic pickup tool
4. start disassembling cooling system parts
Looks like good advice

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Believe it or not I've actually done exactly that.

It is not going to get "into the engine". It'll just get stuck in the cylinder head, usually right behind the water outlet that is bolted to the cylinder head. Will it cause problems? It can reduce cooling system performance, and with the engine spun around backwards in the frame, it needs all the help it can get-thus I recommend every attempt to remove the bolt. If push comes to shove, pull the engine and then remove the water outlet, remove the bolt, reinstall with new gasket (after thorougly and completely removing the old gasket), and reassemble. New coolant of course. Removing the engine isn't really that hard on those, I have haphazardly don it in about an hour & a half, closer to 1:10 if I hurry. That's just removal. Reinstallation is almost always slightly longer. Leave the fan on the engine, it will come off, but you will have to kind of bend the fan blades to get them OUT of the shroud. That's the worst part.

I had one of those old mowers, and gosh I miss it. Great mower!!

I bet that you can fish it out with a magnet. It shouldn't have gone very far.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

It is not going to get "into the engine". It'll just get stuck in the cylinder head, usually right behind the water outlet that is bolted to the cylinder head. Will it cause problems? It can reduce cooling system performance, and with the engine spun around backwards in the frame, it needs all the help it can get-thus I recommend every attempt to remove the bolt. If push comes to shove, pull the engine and then remove the water outlet, remove the bolt, reinstall with new gasket (after thorougly and completely removing the old gasket), and reassemble. New coolant of course. Removing the engine isn't really that hard on those, I have haphazardly don it in about an hour & a half, closer to 1:10 if I hurry. That's just removal. Reinstallation is almost always slightly longer. Leave the fan on the engine, it will come off, but you will have to kind of bend the fan blades to get them OUT of the shroud. That's the worst part.

Or just leave it alone, replace the bolt, and some day .... somebody....will discover it inside the engine they’ve torn-down for overhaul and wonder about it. It is NOT going to affect cooling.

philkent

Jan 21, 2012
australia

Cheers for that..Bought a flex magnet and got it out.Thanks to all for input