Help! Need anchoring advice (not a boat)

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
So. . . after 34 years in the house I have to put the railing up for the soaking tub as we are about to sell it. From this pic:
tub railing mount 1.JPG

you can see the two mounting 'cups' that need to be anchored down. I 'assumed', because the railing was in the original house drawings, that the wood under the tile would be 2" material. Sure enough I drilled the 1st hole (top one) and was in solid material. Put a 2" lag screw in and all good.

Not so much with the lower one. It must be 3/4" plywood :(

After much ruminating I thought no problem, I would run a long dill bit (24") down through that hole I made, pierce the subfloor of the tub room and from the basement be able to drill a 4" round hole directly below. Then I could put a 1/2 bolt through and nut it from below with a long extension.

Not so fast :( I hit something about 8" down. When I went into the basement and looked up I realized there is an I beam there.

So now I need an anchor, like a toggle bolt, to hold down that mount. Because of the leverage of the railing it needs to be able to take 100's of lbs of force. When looking online I see toggle bolts but the ratings are only about 75lbs. . .

What can I use?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Aside from using a boat anchor (sorry, couldn't resist), what are the codes in your locality. That would dictate what you can't do. As well as what you must do. If they don't say no toggles then....toggle away.
Can you work a piece of hardwood in top of the beam to run a lag bolt into? Could you get a toggle I there without going in from the top?
Just running through ideas.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
What about a large toggle bolt??? Screen shot was of the first one I could find so you could see what I was talking about.

Screenshot_20220913-203341_Samsung Internet.jpg

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
that is pretty much what I found for toggle bolts BUT:
1663119810711.png

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
So. . . after 34 years in the house I have to put the railing up for the soaking tub as we are about to sell it. From this pic:
View attachment 87077

you can see the two mounting 'cups' that need to be anchored down. I 'assumed', because the railing was in the original house drawings, that the wood under the tile would be 2" material. Sure enough I drilled the 1st hole (top one) and was in solid material. Put a 2" lag screw in and all good.

Not so much with the lower one. It must be 3/4" plywood :(

After much ruminating I thought no problem, I would run a long dill bit (24") down through that hole I made, pierce the subfloor of the tub room and from the basement be able to drill a 4" round hole directly below. Then I could put a 1/2 bolt through and nut it from below with a long extension.

Not so fast :( I hit something about 8" down. When I went into the basement and looked up I realized there is an I beam there.

So now I need an anchor, like a toggle bolt, to hold down that mount. Because of the leverage of the railing it needs to be able to take 100's of lbs of force. When looking online I see toggle bolts but the ratings are only about 75lbs. . .

What can I use?
Are you able to reach it from below? If so, maybe get a piece of plate steel a little larger than the cups that need mounted down with a hole in the middle. Basically use it as a large washer on the bottom side and run a bolt and nut through it.

Or try some of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10...e-Bolt-Drywall-Anchor-Screws-Included/3183831

Or this:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I can't see the top of the I beam. It's inside the stair void for the tub. I'm not positive, but because I'm definitely hitting wood, I think what I'm hitting may be some kind of framing for the stairs.

So the bottom line is I need some type of anchor that goes through a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole. In searching more I found this:

1663199676313.png

I think the weak point on the toggle bolts I found is the pin strength. The rating on this looks good. I'll know soon enough I ordered them.

Thanks for all the feedback tho

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Let us know how it works out! Those bolts could certainly be useful in a host of applications.