Help me out here

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
My 2230 started acting up last winter (dieing like you turn the key off for a second or two and then recovering) when I was traveling to a snow removal job. When it first done this I thought it was a load of iffy fuel and just put some SeaFoam in the tank to rid it of moisture.

Well it's summer now and several tankfuls later it's still doing it. No rhyme or reason for when it happens.... straight & flat, a little hilly, sometimes bumpy, only now it's happening when deck is engaged & cutting, once maybe twice in a 2+ hour period where before nothing other then hystat was engaged.

I keep going back to the seat safety switch which I've cleaned an put dielectric grease on now. But when I start it and lift the seat to engage the switch, the seat has to tilt up quite a ways to kill the engine. I always wear my seat belt so I'm not bouncing on the seat to trigger it. So I don't know how it could be the seat.

Filters changed last fall and I've only got 23hr run time on them so I've kinda ruled that out.

Where else should I look?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My 2230 started acting up last winter (dieing like you turn the key off for a second or two and then recovering) when I was traveling to a snow removal job. When it first done this I thought it was a load of iffy fuel and just put some SeaFoam in the tank to rid it of moisture.

Well it's summer now and several tankfuls later it's still doing it. No rhyme or reason for when it happens.... straight & flat, a little hilly, sometimes bumpy, only now it's happening when deck is engaged & cutting, once maybe twice in a 2+ hour period where before nothing other then hystat was engaged.

I keep going back to the seat safety switch which I've cleaned an put dielectric grease on now. But when I start it and lift the seat to engage the switch, the seat has to tilt up quite a ways to kill the engine. I always wear my seat belt so I'm not bouncing on the seat to trigger it. So I don't know how it could be the seat.

Filters changed last fall and I've only got 23hr run time on them so I've kinda ruled that out.

Where else should I look?

first thought is still fuel, but it could be a safety switch, you better hope it is fuel, a lot easier to fix!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You could bypass all the safety switches and see if it does it still.

Could be a wire worn against something that lets it short out, temperature, bumps, whatever make contact and 'stutter'.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You said you changed filters last fall yet your problem has happened over the winter on threw now summer, I would think change the fuel filter first! ;)
If there is water in the filter hosing, I would consider dumping your fuel and replacing it with new!

Last edited:

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I had a starting problem with my B2320 & traced it to a spade connector on the starter solenoid. I just squeezed the rolled pay off the connector to make it hold better. It just happened again last Monday, 5 months later. It was more difficult for me to fix this time because I'm not there. I talked my wife through getting to it & correcting it over the phone. I too thought it was the seat safety switch first. Take a look, pretty painless.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I had a starting problem with my B2320 & traced it to a spade connector on the starter solenoid. I just squeezed the rolled pay off the connector to make it hold better. It just happened again last Monday, 5 months later. It was more difficult for me to fix this time because I'm not there. I talked my wife through getting to it & correcting it over the phone. I too thought it was the seat safety switch first. Take a look, pretty painless.
Starts fine, always has. It's after it's been running say 1/2 hour or more, is when the stumble occurs. It seems like once it does it a time or two, it doesn't happen again Some times it's kind of mild like a miss, other times it drags it down so much, that when it recovers it'll blow smoke out the exhaust like when it's first started.

A fiend of mind thought that if it was water, it would not hit all cylinders at once. Maybe a filter change again is in the future.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Electrical connections seem to be the issue. So look where there most likely is corrosion, but also where does temperature change a lot to induce expansion and contraction. One such place is a battery, but that is more common at starting than running. Using the electrical schematic helps a lot when deciphering these.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
On the left side of the eng is the fuel shutoff valve. Raise the hood, with the eng running, turn the key off while looking down the side of the eng. You'll see the valve move. There is one spade connector on it, make sure it's tight. While it's doing the shutting off and on, lift the hood and see if the solenoid is cycleing.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Well I dug this up to let you know the latest.

After thinking repeatedly that it was fuel and getting nowhere, I pulled apart, cleaned & lubed all the electrical connections on the safety switches and every bayonet connection I could find.

Good news is it's running normal again, no stutter the last two cuttings.

Bad news is I'll probably never know which connection was causing all the trouble.

Thanks for all the ideas to try.