Help me decide

ldunlap

Equipment
B6100
May 26, 2018
Palestine, IL
A couple of years ago, I acquired a 1979 Kubota B6100E, gear driven 2 wheel drive. I started giving it TLC. As I live in town, it doesn’t get much use.

I really would like a loader. Factory loaders are impossible to find and aftermarket loaders are around $4000. I spent $1800 on the tractor. A Metkit pkg is $2500 plus plans. I’m having a hard time justifying the expense of the loader for what the tractor is worth.

I would like a loader, and power steering. I’ve thought about getting a different tractor, but this one is in really good condition for it’s age. Since I live in town the tractor won’t see much use either way.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I’d take a look for a similar model with loader and sell your current one. I don’t know if power steering can be retrofitted.

I don’t know how long you plan to stay into tractoring, but it might make sense to go even newer to ensure your tractor is in great shape while you are at it.

Reactions: 1 users

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
You won’t like using a loader without power steering. See what you could get on a trade for something used with a loader and 4wd.
I added power steering to a tractor once, and while it was pretty straightforward, it took some fabricating and finagling.

Reactions: 1 user

ldunlap

Equipment
B6100
May 26, 2018
Palestine, IL
I had looked through this forum and saw that adding power steering is an option with some using the Hoye power steering cylinder. In tight areas, steering it is a bear without the loader.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Totally agree with Tire Biter.

I’ve spent numerous hours on a 2WD, no power steering, trip bucket loader (which may not sound like much of a “loader” but it would lift around 1800lb). And if you had anywhere near 1800lb on it, it was a beast to steer and good luck getting any traction to back up if the nose was even slightly downhill no matter how much weight was on the back. 4WD and power steering are needed to get full use of a loader. Not saying you can’t put a loader on it, but definitely agree you’ll almost certainly be disappointed.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Get rid of that B6100E and get a loader tractor with power steering. I did have a B1550DT with a woods FEL and worked great. Still a low HP gear tractor but had PS. If you anticipate alot of FEL work get a HST. Much better for FEL work and less abuse on the clutch.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
As others have said, general rule is that you can trade your tractor for one with the features you want for less money and hassle than you can add the features you want to your tractor. Tractors hold their value pretty well, you don't lose a lot of money switching. Whereas modifying a tractor is quite a hit and miss affair.

Look for a 4WD tractor with a loader, work out your price to change, and work out whether you could make your existing tractor that good for less money to change.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Yes unfortunately you will have a difficult time finding an affordable loader. You always see the guys that find the loader itself but have none of the hardware or mounting. On an older machine you end up searching forever or fabricating something.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Neil from Messicks put up a video very recently on almost exactly this topic - the things you need when you get a loader to add to your tractor. It was insightful. Summary was that in general, don't. You'll end up spending a lot of money at the parts counter when it turns out bits are missing.

Reactions: 1 users