Hearing Protection

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I find that Harbor Freight hearing protection ear muffs are not the greatest. Do you have an opinion on the Stihl $140 blue-tooth, muffs? Do you have any other hearing protection muffs to recommend?

I appreciate the help.

thank you

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I use the WorkTunes.....I picked the up at Lowes a couple of years ago for about $65.00. They work well and I can enjoy some tunes while mowing etc

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Is the Anker ones blocking the loud noise well?
From their advert blurb:
Reduce Ambient Noises By Up to 90%: Our team of engineers conducted more than 100,000 tests in real-life scenarios to fine-tune Life Q20’s 4 built-in ANC microphones and digital active noise cancellation algorithm. As a result, the hybrid active noise cancellation can detect and cancel out a wider range of low and mid-frequency noises such as cars and airplane engines

Does it do anything? I dunno. I do know they quiet the tractor noise a lot in my ears :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so... you buy 'earmuffs' to get RID of noise, BUT they have 'bluetooth' so you can crank up the tunes ??
sounds like they kinda DEFEAT the purpose........

When you have Tinnitus 24/7 like I do ( crickets---LOUD-- 24/7), you kinda wonder about things.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought two pairs of the ISOtunes Pro 2.0 when I had the open station MX6000, and then based on a @Matt Ellerbee recommendation bought a pair of ISOtunes LINK muffs when I got the MX6000 cab model. I don't like wearing over the ear muffs when I'm hot but they're great in a nice warm/cool cab. You can use various YouTuber codes to get a discount on either. I'd buy them again.

Reactions: 2 users

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
The work tunes (marketed by 3M) have a NRR (noise reduction rating) (25db I think) and will not amplify any bluetooth input over 85db ....the music I am listen to is much quieter than the hum of the diesel and the whine of the HST. And yes as a result of construction for over 40 years I too have hearing loss and tinnitus. The ringing will drive you nuts at night when things get quiet.

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
I have the 3M Worktunes as well. Love ‘em. About $50 on Amazon. They block as much sound as any of my other “earmuff” style hearing protection. I can listen to my podcasts/music at a sensible volume so no damage there. The bluetooth is reliable and the battery lasts a crazy long time too.

I use them on my Kubota and my Scag along with while using my chainsaw and two stroke weedeater. The weedeater is the loudest and the Worktunes handles that volume fine.

I played in a metal band for 25 years so take my review with that in mind. 😬

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
so... you buy 'earmuffs' to get RID of noise, BUT they have 'bluetooth' so you can crank up the tunes ??
sounds like they kinda DEFEAT the purpose........

When you have Tinnitus 24/7 like I do ( crickets---LOUD-- 24/7), you kinda wonder about things.
Not even close. Today's technology with active noise cancellation is the best of both worlds. The buds or muffs greatly reduce background noise which allows you to listen to music at healthy levels. Just sit in a tractor running a snow blower or similar for a couple of hours listening to the engine, implement (if applicable) and music via in cab speakers and then do the same with noise cancelling buds or muffs. Without the muffs or buds you'll have noticeable audio fatigue. With the buds or muffs no such thing.

I've had noise cancelling headphones and buds for years that I use for air travel. My first set was made by Sennheiser who pioneered the technology for pilots. The next set I bought that I still have and use are BOSE ear buds and the difference with noise cancellation on or off is remarkable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I use the WorkTunes.....I picked the up at Lowes a couple of years ago for about $65.00. They work well and I can enjoy some tunes while mowing etc
Been using them for a couple of years now, and for the money, I think they are great. Noise reduction is good, sound quality is good, they are comfortable and the one button to answer the phone is plus.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have the ISO tunes in ear and muffs. Used the muffs yesterday mowing for a few hours.

And Jay, I have found with the ISO tunes, the outside noise is cancelled and the music can be at a normal level, not louder.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I use Sony MDR-XB950N1. Wireless, Bluetooth, noise canceling, over the ear. Good noise cancellation and I can listen to music at a reasonable level. Nice also to get notices from the wife while out on the tractor and not missing them. I have my phone announce who the text is from so I know if I need to stop and look.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the ISOTunes Free and the ISOTunes Free Aware. I used the the Free Aware for the first time last weekend and the work really well. I like the bluetooth and the ability to hear conversation and have it cutoff when the noise level gets to loud. I used them for a little over four hours and they were still going strong.

You can read here https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...o-to-or-on-your-kubota-today.6326/post-544086

How a made a fool of myself because they worked so well.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I use Isotunes as well. They have a lot of different fit options, and I find them very good.

NWMN land Owner

Equipment
B2601, Loader, BB, Rotary Mower, Tiller, 16' tandem
Apr 26, 2022
Minnesota
I find that Harbor Freight hearing protection ear muffs are not the greatest. Do you have an opinion on the Stihl $140 blue-tooth, muffs? Do you have any other hearing protection muffs to recommend?

I appreciate the help.

thank you
I just bought 3M WorkTunes with bluetooth for $80. More than I wanted to spend but I tried them on and they were large enough to have extra room when I want to work outside with a hood on. Tried them on today and was very satisfied but still have not tested with running my B2601 with a mower or tiller. Will they be loud enough, that is the question. Good luck.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Another vote for Isotunes Pro 2.0. I use them for anything noisy, like chainsaw or driving posts. Even turned off they work well.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
And a nice feature I like about them Crash is they tell you the charge level every time you turn them on. Even when 'low charge' I've used them for days before charging.