Hazard lights protection

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Loose hazard lights due to branches, vines when mowing. From the scrapyard found a piece of stainless steel 5.5” x 1/8” tubing. Back at home cut two 2” rings. Drilled 1/2” hole for lamp bolt. Had file the hole slightly and remove one lens to install the light fixture. Fine sanded to bright statin finish.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That’s pretty work, Smokey... I believe that’ll protect the lamps’ lens.... and it’ll likely add a degree of sturdiness in a left/right directional-strike.
But If a branch is strong enough (in the fore/aft direction) to break off that lamp without the ring... then it’ll likely break off the lamp-and-ring because there’s no additional fastener... it borrows the same bolt that holds the lamp.... adding additional mass/surface-area for the limb to contact without providing additonal strength to the lamp base.

I thought about doing something similar but decided to not risk additional damage to my fender if it gets whacked ....and since I’ve not suffered any “whacks”.... I just consider my hazard lamps as “break-away” fixtures. They’re less thn $7 at TSC.

But I gotta say.... that sure looks good!

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
That’s pretty work, Smokey... I believe that’ll protect the lamps’ lens.... and it’ll likely add a degree of sturdiness in a left/right directional-strike.
But If a branch is strong enough (in the fore/aft direction) to break off that lamp without the ring... then it’ll likely break off the lamp-and-ring because there’s no additional fastener... it borrows the same bolt that holds the lamp.... adding additional mass/surface-area for the limb to contact without providing additonal strength to the lamp base.

I thought about doing something similar but decided to not risk additional damage to my fender if it gets whacked ....and since I’ve not suffered any “whacks”.... I just consider my hazard lamps as “break-away” fixtures. They’re less thn $7 at TSC.

But I gotta say.... that sure looks good!
Thanks for the kind words.
i haven’t had the hollow bolt fasteners break yet. Always the plastic housing near the bolt. It’s not bullet proof and additional support would improve protection. I use the $7 TSC replacement lamps instead of the $40 OEM. The ultimate might be a metal housing with rubber mounted led lights.

Reactions: 1 user