Have you ever "got a great deal" only to find out that it really wasn't?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've never owned a pressure washer until about a year ago. There's a local weekly online auction up here and last year I spotted what appeared to be a very lightly used Karcher pressure washer with a 5 HP Honda engine. Some research indicated that a new equivalent pressure washer would be around $450 so I placed a few bids hoping to get it for around $200. I ended up winning it for $165 plus a 15% buyer's fee. I was feeling pretty good about this deal, and felt even better when I got it home and the little Honda engine started first pull and purred like a kitten.

Now fast forward to this past weekend when I installed two frost-free faucets through the concrete foundation, one after the filters/softener treatment, and one off the well directly. My thought is that I can water the garden with well water and wash equipment, vehicles etc. with filtered and treated water. This is relevant because I hadn't tested the water pump due to the lack of an outside faucet (another story).

I was excited to test out the pressure washer for the first time but disappointed to discover that I could get as much velocity by putting my finger over the end of a hose. Something wasn't right so I ended up removing the pump to find a couple of issues. The oil in the gear housing (for want of a better word) was the color of a latte, and the spill valve which is Karcher's name for the unloader valve was stuck. In hindsight I could have simply replaced the spill valve, maybe, but I wouldn't have known about the oil in the gear housing which would eventually have caused a failure. Every seal or o-ring inside the pump was in a bad state so at the very least I needed to buy a pump rebuild kit.

So after looking for parts online I decided to order a complete replacement 3,000 psi Karcher pump which includes everything that connects to the output shaft of the engine. Total cost was $130 with a free QD kit thrown in. A pump rebuild kit is $85 so I figured it makes more sense to spend the extra $45 for a completely new pump rated for 3,000 psi, a 600 psi upgrade. I might order a pump rebuild kit at some point so that I have a working spare pump but there's risk since I don't know if new seals, fresh oil and a new spill valve is all that it needs.

So now I'm $320 into my first pressure washer and rapidly approaching the cost of a new and possibly better one. I've learned a thing or two but what I thought was a really good deal has turned into an ok deal at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Pressure washer, if you don't have water running in the pump... will burn up in a heart beat (at least that's what I was always told) so you starting the motor without water hooked up was bad.

I don't know if that's true or not...

PTO pumps or ANY pumps, I would not trust unless shown it to work.

As for Craig's Lists (in my case) if I didn't know how to weld, I would have been screwed several times. Most of my purchases needed TLC but I buy very cheap stuff....

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Pressure washer, if you don't have water running in the pump... will burn up in a heart beat (at least that's what I was always told) so you starting the motor without water hooked up was bad.

PTO pumps or ANY pumps, I would not trust unless shown it to work.

As for Craig's Lists (in my case) if I didn't know how to weld, I would have been screwed several times. Most of my purchases needed TLC but I buy very cheap stuff....
There's no way to test the pressure washer at the auction house so it's one of those "as is" deals. My only concern with running a pressure washer without water for 10 seconds or so is that the pistons have no resistance from the water so that could possibly do some damage but I'm not sure. The oil was contaminated so the pump had issues long before I showed up. 😊 If the new pump works well and the engine holds up I'm still ahead but not by much.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN

In MOST pressure pumps the plungers/pistons are lubricated along with the swash plate or camshaft, depending on what that particular design uses, so running the pump without water in it for a little while isn't a big deal.
Turning off the pressure nozzle so that the relief valve opens for more than 15 seconds or so can make the pump heat up pretty quickly.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In MOST pressure pumps the plungers/pistons are lubricated along with the swash plate or camshaft, depending on what that particular design uses, so running the pump without water in it for a little while isn't a big deal.
Exactly. The swash plate housing is full of oil ... and water in my case! The owner's manual states on page 1 ...

Never operate pressure washer without the water turned on.

On page 7 under the heading of Winterizing & Long-Term Storage they say this ... :rolleyes:

1. Disconnect all water connections.
2. Turn on the machine for a few seconds,
until the remaining water exits.

Turn off immediately.
3. Drain the gas and oil from the engine.
4. Do not allow high pressure hose
to become kinked.
5. Store the machine and accessories in
a room which does not reach freezing
temperatures.
Caution: Failure to follow the above
directions will result in damage to the
pump assembly and accessories.

Turning off the pressure nozzle so that the relief valve opens for more than 15 seconds or so can make the pump heat up pretty quickly.
The manual recommends shutting the engine off if "taking a break for five minutes or more".

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Just something to note. You also got a completely new pump for the pressure washer with a higher pressure rating than the one you compared the price to online. If that pump is an upgrade then the entire pressure washer new would have been probably closer to 500 not 450. Also you could be only $275 in on the whole thing if you opted for the rebuild kit (it could have also not worked and then been $405 in after ordering the rebuild kit and then having to order a new pump but risk vs reward and all that stuff).

On a more personal note I tend to try and stay away from auctions because I know my luck and I would get hosed by seemingly good deals every day of the week and twice on Sunday. On a positive note you now have a power washer just in time to use it for spring and summer to keep all your toys (essential tools) shiny.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bottom line is you now have a pressure washer with good pressure and you know the quality of the outfit. If you buy the rebuild kit to have a backup pump you'll end up with a hardware store in your shop! Be glad you have it working and years down the road, if you need another pump get a new one again. Just based on my experience. :) :)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just something to note. You also got a completely new pump for the pressure washer with a higher pressure rating than the one you compared the price to online. If that pump is an upgrade then the entire pressure washer new would have been probably closer to 500 not 450. Also you could be only $275 in on the whole thing if you opted for the rebuild kit (it could have also not worked and then been $405 in after ordering the rebuild kit and then having to order a new pump but risk vs reward and all that stuff).

On a more personal note I tend to try and stay away from auctions because I know my luck and I would get hosed by seemingly good deals every day of the week and twice on Sunday. On a positive note you now have a power washer just in time to use it for spring and summer to keep all your toys (essential tools) shiny.
I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining. I don't regret buying the pressure washer because I really do need one and I've learned about rotary pumps and have gained some insight into using and maintaining these things. I agree with you that I'm still the right side up on this deal and I'll probably buy the rebuild kit and see if the original pump will work. If it doesn't I'll have a rebuild kit on hand for the new pump. If it does, I'll have a backup pump. The pump has shipped and is supposed to be here on Saturday.

Talking of auctions, when I was at the auction house last week picking up a table and chairs an older gentleman and I started talking about washing machines. I had bid on a front loading LG to use for dog bedding and nasty work clothes to replace the old top loading machine that I currently use in that role. He mentioned the risk of buying used washing machines, particularly up here where many have them in unheated garages throughout the winter.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The opposite side of this is those times when we get great deals. Probably the two best deals I ever got were my 2002 Ford F250 7.3L Lariat that a pilot friend sold me for $8K with only 117K miles on it. He drove it up from San Francisco to deliver it to me!

The other amazing deal was a Canoga 5 cu. ft. Honda powered concrete mixer that I found on Craigslist for $950. New ones are $8K to $9K, and the original owner who was a retired guy from CA had only used it to mix up potting soil. The 10 HP engine with key start is incredibly reliable and I've used the mixer for various projects. I really don't like renting tools and having my own gas powered mixer is awesome.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I really don't like renting tools and having my own gas powered mixer is awesome.
For me renting vs owning tools depends on some stuff. Like if I am planning on doing the same kind of work again or if it would be a once every 5 years or so kind of thing. Like for me it makes no sense to buy a tile saw for a project that will take a 3 day rental and then it would get stored away for 3 years for mice to chew up the wiring on it to then use for another 3 day project.

Or a mixer like you have I would probably never use again and it would just take up space. Personally I don't like selling things unless I have to because I prefer being on the I don't need to spend this money side of the negotiating deal than I don't need to unload this thing side. Usually because I then have to store it away again and take up room that I could use for something else that I would use more often.

Granted if I had a gigantic shop and didn't have to worry about running out of space or money I would 100% buy as many tools as I could because it is a fantastic feeling when you are planning on doing something and realizing that you have the perfect tool for the project.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, I agree with you that sometimes it makes sense to rent rather than buy. I rented a post hole auger a few years ago when I was building a deck for the hot tub. It cost me $200 or so to make six 12" holes in the dirt 48" deep. My barn project will require 25 or so holes but a weekend rental of the same machine will get that done, so as much as I'd like to buy an auger attachment it doesn't make a lot of sense at $3K or so. I plan to tear down a deck at the house and make a much better and bigger one which will require more holes and another rental. But even renting twice or three times makes more sense than buying an auger that will quickly become redundant.

The mixer is another thing altogether. I would have never bought a new Canoga mixer, but for $950 it was a no-brainer. I never underestimate the value of convenience. A boat that sits in the water all summer gets used a lot more than one that sits on a trailer at the house. Having my own mixer that I can tow behind the tractor and that doesn't require an electrical hookup changes how I think about projects. Not having to pick up and return tools to the rental company by a certain time makes a big difference to me. Spur of the moment projects are possible when you have the tools. I can decide to mix up a few bags of concrete at 9pm on a warm summer evening if I want, or do it at 5am when it's 50F outside and will be 90F by 1pm. That's freedom! :)

I have welding machines and a plasma cutter, but for a few years it was a big deal to use them since I had to crawl on top of the dryer, unplug it, plug in a 220V extension cord, open a window, pass the cord through, then close the window enough to hinder bugs and drafts, drag the cord out to the garage, and then do it in reverse ... what a pain! I used to put off welding projects until I had enough work to make it worth the trouble of getting power out to the garage. Eventually I said "enough" and dug a trench from the house to the garage (using the BX), ran PVC pipe and wires, installed a new 100A panel and outlets for 110V/220V and you won't believe what a difference that has made. If I want to do a 30 second weld or cut a piece of plate or it's no big deal. Convenience however is a very big deal.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The new pump came in yesterday and I got it installed this morning. I had changed the oil last weekend but checked the level, cleaned the air filter, put air in the tires and added gas with Stabil to the tank. I was able to test it this morning washing the F250, the Jeep and the underside of one of the trailers and it works extremely well. The "free" quick connect kit is a nice touch too. I don't know if it makes any sense to order an $85 parts kit for the old pump when a new one is $130. Having a spare pump would be convenient if the new one fails but perhaps not the best way to spend money. Here's the new pump and the now 3,000 psi Karcher.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing that happens to a lot of these pressure washers is that water gets left in them and they freeze, it ruins them real quick.
I would suggest either flushing it with RV antifreeze, or peanut oil anytime you're done with it or 100% keep it from freezing ever, even a garage will let them freeze enough to do damage.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Pressure washer pumps are a consumable item with a limited lifespan. I refuse to lend mine out for that reason.

Buying a used one makes as much sense to me as buying sushi or egg salad sandwiches at a small backwoods gas station.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
One thing that happens to a lot of these pressure washers is that water gets left in them and they freeze, it ruins them real quick.
I would suggest either flushing it with RV antifreeze, or peanut oil anytime you're done with it or 100% keep it from freezing ever, even a garage will let them freeze enough to do damage.
It's really easy to remove the four bolts that secure the pump to the engine so I might just pull it off and store it in the house during the winter. Karcher describes the winterizing process in the user manual which involves running the engine for a few seconds without the water connected (see post above).

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Pressure washer pumps are a consumable item with a limited lifespan. I refuse to lend mine out for that reason.

Buying a used one makes as much sense to me as buying sushi or egg salad sandwiches at a small backwoods gas station.
The equivalent current Karcher pressure washer with a Honda engine and 3,100 psi is around $960 so while I'd never buy sushi or an egg salad sandwich from any gas station in the states, I think a used pressure washer with a well-regarded and reliable engine model is fairly low risk. There's always a risk buying anything used but with a total of $320 into this pressure washer and with parts readily available I think I'll be ok.

G 3100 XH (49-State) | Kärcher (kaercher.com)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The equivalent current Karcher pressure washer with a Honda engine and 3,100 psi is around $960 so while I'd never buy sushi or an egg salad sandwich from any gas station in the states, I think a used pressure washer with a well-regarded and reliable engine model is fairly low risk. There's always a risk buying anything used but with a total of $320 into this pressure washer and with parts readily available I think I'll be ok.

G 3100 XH (49-State) | Kärcher (kaercher.com)
The engine/motor isn't the problem its the pumps. You pay based on hour/class rating. Cheap pumps have a low duty cycle low hour rating. Even expensive ones don't last forever.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The engine/motor isn't the problem its the pumps. You pay based on hour/class rating. Cheap pumps have a low duty cycle low hour rating. Even expensive ones don't last forever.
It'll be interesting to see how long this pump lasts. I've never had a pressure a washer before so it sure is nice to be able to clean all manner of things at the house. I cleaned off the mower deck yesterday in preparation for servicing it before putting it on the BX ... it no longer has any stickers on it! 😂 I also rinsed off the MX from a distance so no stickers were harmed.