Have a cut. Need other equipment

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
So I've got the L4060 with loader and about a dozen attachments. We know we want either a svl75-2 or a U35-4. But which should we get first to compliment the l4060. Our biggest problem is rocks in soil. The loader on the 4060 does pretty well but has to really work to pop them out of the soil and lots of jockeying around. Once out, no problems with the grapple. When we rented an E35 bobcat that was abused beyond belief. It did remarkably well against the rocks. Like they werent even there. So the excavator would be used to remedy and de-rock our pastures with the tractor. We still are running water lines and clearing brush and debris and would want to build small stock pond at some point. So most of these things are definitely excavator territory.

Now a case for the skid first. We move a good bit of round bales. The 4060 does it. Sometimes a little light in rear but will do it. We also do a considerable amount of concrete and steel pipe fence work. So pipes are very heavy and not being able to pallet fork the concrete pallets around until less than half a pallet sucks. the auger we have is rated for skid steer flow not CUT flow. So it stops on baseball sized rocks in the holes. Plus no real down pressure from tractor by comparison to skid. We also believe a rock bucket would make short work of popping out and cleaning up the rock debris.

We run cows, chickens, ducks, horses and are intending on expanding operations significantly. So your thoughts appreciated

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Get both at the same time? May get a little better deal that way if you can swing it, or handle the payments. If not, sounds like the skidsteer will make your life easier in the short term? Maybe rent a larger excavator to knock out the jobs you had planned for that, quicker.

Last edited:

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
May not be best for you, but if I got another piece of equipment it would be an excavator. I looked at them a year prior to getting my tractor. Ponds, ditches, rocks, stumps or whatever to dig it’s gonna do it fast. My backhoe does great on my tractor but I think digging and doing it fast then repositioning way faster than I can with my tractor is why I would pick that for me. A skid steer will do a lot too and can even get a backhoe attachment for one of those. Lots of power from a SS. Seems like I would get more precision out of an excavator. I think u can get an auger on the excavator as well. Good luck on your choice. Hope someone has better info on this than I did.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
yes I have a large brush cutter plus filled rears, it doesn't come up, but on heavier bales you notice when backing up less traction, so you know it's getting light.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
This is something we cannot answer for you. We are not there daily doing your work. However, I will say that you already have the loader so My vote would be excavator by default. - You will wonder how you ever lived without one. Since power and speed will be the only advantage with the 75 (and I want one bad too) perhaps that may be the one to put off.