Has anyone gone to foam-filled front tires on a BX?

CountryB

Equipment
BX2370
May 10, 2019
Orlando, FL. USA
My front (BX2370) tires are always leaking. So I tried inner tubes. Twice now they leaked - the valve stem keeps getting cut as the tire slips slightly on the rim.

Has anyone tried foam filled front tires (mine are turf type)?

I have used foam filled on my little riding tractor, wheel barrow, fertilizer spreader, etc. They work well but are heavy. However I don't think they would be too heavy for the front of a BX tractor as these tractors also have option to add front weights.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My front (BX2370) tires are always leaking. So I tried inner tubes. Twice now they leaked - the valve stem keeps getting cut as the tire slips slightly on the rim.

I have used foam filled on my little riding tractor, wheel barrow, fertilizer spreader, etc. They work well but are heavy. However I don't think they would be too heavy for the front of a BX tractor as these tractors also have option to add front weights.
NIW uses foam....not on his BX however - he loves the foam....

THE only negative is that the front end has no shocks other than the little bounce from the tires...so you might have a little more stiff ride!

I too have fought my front end! Slime.....tubes.....both still leak! I now have new tires that still leak.....but at a rate that I can control a little better!:p

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Foam is good but like 85Hokie pointed out zero cushion so it's hard on the tractor and you.

I would suggest take the tubes out, get good metal valve stems, use a bead sealer on the tires as this is where the problem is with these, as use a good lifetime tire sealer, White stuff, look on ebay or amazon to get it.

CountryB

Equipment
BX2370
May 10, 2019
Orlando, FL. USA
Thanks for the advice. I did foam fill my little riding mower tires (15 x 6.00) and the change in ride quality was not noticable. I think they weighed about 25 lbs each after filling.

I'm not too concerned about the "ride quality" of the BX going to foam - however if it beats up the frontend, or wears out front drive/bearings, or such - then I would want to avoid that.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are you running enough air in the tires? Usually, when a tire slips on the rim it is because the tire is not inflated enough.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I once had tires that leaked on the bead on a 300 gal. sprayer. I dismounted the tires and sealed the bead with pine tar. They didn't leak after that!!:D

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
The front on my BX use to leak as well a little jug of slime in each one never had a problem after that

CountryB

Equipment
BX2370
May 10, 2019
Orlando, FL. USA
I keep the air pressure up (around 18 to 20 psi on these tires). However, maybe not good enough - as I come out and find the tire low at times.

I've used slime before on my riding mower (before I went to the foam) and it didn't work that well. It still leaked and it was a mess to clean up.

But perhaps that's the best choice - as no one seems to be recommending foam filling.

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
I will add two things...
You can add whatever you want for filler without worry about weight. Remember, the weight is inside of the tire, not hanging on the tractor, so no wear really for bearings and such.

I have never had my 2003 BX2200 turf tires leak except for when the temp changes outside, and naturally the tires will change pressure with it, and if I turn too hard with too much load in the bucket, I can dismount a tire under the right (wrong) circumstances. I think the trick I have found is (as it has been said) a really thick coating of tire bead sealer + 20 lbs. at all times of pressure in tire.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I foam filled the front and rear tires on my BX2200 over ten years ago. For stability rather than puncture resistance as I recall. ( actually, I now remember puncturing a liquid filled rear tire, so that was probably the reason) I have been very satisfied with the result. No issues. Can not compare to air filled tires as it has been too long. But I did not notice anything significant after converting.

I have a spare set of turf tires that I used while the ag tires were being foam filled. I don't remember any striking difference when I put the foam filled tires on.

I would foam fill the tires in a minute. I did foam fill the front tires on my larger tractor due to puncture issues. Best move I could have made there...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What foam are you guys using, and how do you install it?
I had mine filled by a large tire dealer in a nearby rural area. They have vast experience with agricultural and the complete range of commercial applications.

Don’t know what the foam was, other than the samples I saw were blue, and that it could be cured at different pressures to somewhat mimic an air filled tire.

I remember walking in with a front tire in each hand, and after the fronts were filled it was an effort carrying just one back out the door. No way I could carry one of the filled rear tires.

At the time I weighed the filled tires but don’t remember what the weights were.

Edit: Got curious and found an old thread over at TBN where I stated the foam filled REAR tires weighed 181 pounds each. Did not weigh the fronts unfortunately...

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Here are a couple details. A cut and paste of a post made at TBN ten years ago. In case someone might be interested. :)

When I got my BX2200 I had the front tires foam filled. I did not weigh them, but walked into the shop with one in each hand, and there was no way I was going to carry them out to my van except one at a time when I picked them up.

At that time I filled the rears with windshield washer fluid using a little drill-powered pump. After about 4 years I got my first rear puncture (ag tires). I decided that I would not deal with anymore punctures with liquid filled tires, and drained the WW fluid and took the rear tires to the shop and had them foam filled.

They had a sample of foam at the tire shop, that they called zero pressure foam, as it was formed in a cup and set up under no pressure. It had the consistency of something like a dense jello. Pretty dense naturally. But still soft and springy.

When they fill the tires at this shop they check the pressure rating and pressurize the foam to about 10 percent less than the tire’s rated pressure.

The tires have flex and seem sort of similar to the way they felt when liquid filled. Maybe a bit stiffer, but they do flex when I push them with my foot.

I paid $111 each per tire [note: This was ten years ago], plus sales tax on top of that for the foam filling.

I checked the weight of the rear tires on a bathroom scale and they came in at 181 lbs each.

Hope I don't get a puncture in the rear tires on my B2910 which are liquid filled. I am sure the tires on that tractor would cost A LOT more to have foam filled...

All in all I am happy with the foam filled tires on the bx and should have done it in the beginning...but only feel that way since I got a puncture!

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Has anyone on here used Nitogen in thier tractor tires? . It has become pretty common in the automotive business. The advantage is nitogen doesn't expand and contract with temperature change and the molecules are larger so they don't naturally leak off like regular air does. I've got it in my pickup, camper and trailer tires and I'm very pleased with the performance.