Handy Tool: Spray Can Mixer

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I always buy an extra can of spray paint to save from making trips back to the store. Some colors I use a lot of, I keep in back stock. It adds up. After calling Rustoleum a few months back and finding out that paint older than a year old is considered "out of date" should it not work, I thought I'd try keeping the cans mixed at least once a year. That is a pain by hand, so I picked up one of these off Amazon: a MixKwik

PaintMixer1.jpg

It fits on your standard reciprocating saw. The can restraint harness looks like it was off a snow board and is very well made. On low speed for 10 seconds and then medium speed for 5 seconds, you can tell the contents are well mixed. I mixed a bunch of warm cans one morning and they felt quite "foamy" inside. Mechanical mixing should prevent the paint from solidifying at the bottom of the can, plugging up the supply tube or spray head.

PaintMixer.jpg

I figure if I save four cans a year, I will pay for the $24 tool every year I use it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The little plastic nozzles on the cans usually die for me before I use up the contents. I bought myself one of those spray can pistol grip triggers. Works well and you don't get a colored finger either

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Problem with the new cans is they won't clean when you invert them, like the old ones did. They will spray inverted.

I have found it is essential that you wipe the nozzle as clean as possible before it dries. When I called Rustoleum, the nice lady sent me some new nozzles to have on hand if I clog one up. Getting the newer styled nozzles on is not as easy as they fit over the stem on the can, unlike the old nozzles that had the stem on the nozzle cap base. This makes a mess as when you press the new nozzle on, you launch paint out of the stem.

If you get a good spray out of a new can and then put the can away for awhile, agitate the can extra before starting another paint operation on another day. The cans seem to really clog up easily on the second use if not well shaken. This tool should really help prevent that.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Ive cleaned plugged nozzles with mek and laquer thinner, whichever I happen to have around, and they work good again, at least until they plug again.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I always buy an extra can of spray paint to save from making trips back to the store. Some colors I use a lot of, I keep in back stock. It adds up. After calling Rustoleum a few months back and finding out that paint older than a year old is considered "out of date" should it not work, I thought I'd try keeping the cans mixed at least once a year. That is a pain by hand, so I picked up one of these off Amazon: a MixKwik

View attachment 46929

It fits on your standard reciprocating saw. The can restraint harness looks like it was off a snow board and is very well made. On low speed for 10 seconds and then medium speed for 5 seconds, you can tell the contents are well mixed. I mixed a bunch of warm cans one morning and they felt quite "foamy" inside. Mechanical mixing should prevent the paint from solidifying at the bottom of the can, plugging up the supply tube or spray head.

View attachment 46928

I figure if I save four cans a year, I will pay for the $24 tool every year I use it.
That's genius!!!!🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I usually pop the nozzle off and use brake clean to clear the paint from the nozzle. Insert the plastic straw inside of nozzle (paint can side). Just be careful not to get any in your eyes.