Gun Handling, What Am I Missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The recent accident on that movie set, got me thinking. Sorry no link, but it has been in the news enough that I imagine almost all of us have heard about it.

Isn't it the responsibility of anyone holding a guy to verify it is safe, regardless of what anyone tells him?

I mean, shouldn't an actor have to verify a gun is safe if he holds it?

I realize others are given responsibility to provide safe firearms on a movie set, but still, shouldn't the actor also verify for himself. AND if he does not know how, shouldn't he be required to do a "show me" to the person in charge of these weapons?

I have some guns in my home that I really do not use, but would never put them in someone's hands if that person were not able to verify they are safe. Or not smart enough to know not to trust me...because obviously trust doesn't work...

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I was handed many thousands of firearms over my 20 plus career as a Gunsmith/retail shop/indoor range owner.
I ALWAYS checked the loaded/unloaded condition regardless what the person handing the firearm said to me. Often times it was “don’t worry, it’s unloaded”. Some people took offense that even after telling me the firearm was unloaded I still checked for myself. Sad to say that more than one firearm was handed to me with assurances it was “empty”. Happy to say that every instance was caught by me, or my partners and my staff.
Without doubt the responsibility rests with the last person that handles a firearm as to its safe use.

Reactions: 7 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
EVERYONE who picks up or is handed a firearm(takes control of it) is SUPPOSED to CONFIRM whether it's loaded or not. That would include seeing if bullets are in the clip and if a round is already 'chambered'. If you don't know what that means you should NOT be holding that firearm !!

On the movie set in question.. the 'armourer' should have confirmed the firearm's status ( empty, full of blanks, real bullets) before he hands it off ...then whoever he gave it to ( the assistant director I think..), he does the SAME proceedure, then the actor(Mr. Baldwin). In this case the 'chain of custody' is 3 people long, so ALL THREE should have examined the firearm.
When I was taught 'Firearms101' for my licenses,6 decades, I was told 1) ALWAYS consider EVERY weapon loaded and 2) NEVER ever point at anyone.
There are ZERO excuses for the murder that took place, it was NOT an 'accident'. There are clearly established 'rules and regulations' for 'guns on movies sets', similar to shooting ranges.

D

Deleted member 47704

It should be required of anyone on set that handles guns to take the NRA safety course.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
🍿

Shot real guns since I had eggshell on me.

Owned my first gun at 10-11. Gift from my grandfather. Beat up Remington 10A in 12 gauge. 30" full-choke. A bottom-eject Remington shotgun....

As a teenager, went to a more suburban school in my district. Got a couple guys interested in hunting.

4 or us were out after squirrel....3 of them were the "suburban" boys.

One of them hands his shotgun to another over a fence.....BOOOMMM!....acceptor grabs the gun by the trigger.....

Last time I hunted with those two....the other continues to hunt a lot today.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm still surprised that they use real firearms on movie sets. I thought that would be forbidden by the insurance companies by now.

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Why was there live ammo on a movie set anyway?????

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
why ??? solid rumour.. is 'they' were plinking...... shooting tin cans.. after all it's mighty darn BORING on movie/TV sets.....
At the bare minimum, there SHOULD be a charge(felony...BIG one) for EVERY live round found on the set, the 'trio' charged with manslaughter and attempted manslaughter. Going to be several 'wrongfull death' lawsuits as well

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
It is totally understandable!
Alec Baldwin is an arrogant Libtard!
Libtards know nothing about guns,..... except..... that neither you nor I should have them.
I'll put my gun collection up against yours any day. Take your tribal, childish BS back to TBN.

• Dislike

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I'll put my gun collection up against yours any day. Take your tribal, childish BS back to TBN.
In all fairness, Baldwin has been very vocal in opposing your, mine, and everyone else’s right to own and possess firearms.

He’s also made a fair part of his career pretending to use (and misuse) those same firearms. In essence glamorizing the very thing he claims he’s opposed to.

He is hypocrite, and has earned significant ill will from those who respect and support the second amendment.

Progressives with gun collections, who support the 2A while supporting leaders who clearly and transparently wish to violate, or eliminate the God given rights of their constituents are a true source of puzzlement to me.

Reactions: 11 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
"Libtards know nothing about guns"

"I'll put my gun collection up against yours any day"

o_O ????

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I don’t know how movie safety programs are structured, but clearly they failed here on all levels.

At the end of the day your processes depend on people diligently following them. These people clearly didn’t.

Hunters gun

Equipment
“My gun collection is bigger than your gun collection”
Oct 18, 2021
PA
"Libtards know nothing about guns"

"I'll put my gun collection up against yours any day"

o_O ????
Exactly. What an insecure, childish outburst.
Since when did someone’s size of their gun collection have reflection on what they know about guns? A dope with millions can buy hundreds of guns and know less than a retired Navy Seal who owns no guns at all.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.