Green Vs Orange

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Looking at the JD advantages, it feels to me a lot like personal opinion, and some of the info is dated.

• Plastic v's steel. I see what he's saying, but I prefer steel. I have plastic on my BX2350, and most of the panels are broken. I get that steel can dent, but I'd rather dents than broken.
  • Treadle pedal I think is preference, you can learn either. Brakes above the forward pedal has changed on the latest revision of most Kubotas - the brakes have moved to the left.
  • Parking stand - not a big deal to me. And the BX and B (the models I'd buy) have a single piece stand.
  • Quick attach bucket. A wash really - if you want one you buy one, and I think the SSQA slightly edges out the Deere specialty attach.
  • Resale. Depends if you're buying new or second hand. If you're buying second hand, a bit lower resale is good. :) I think Kubota financing is probably driving down the resale - because the deals on new are so good. Also, I was under the impression in the compact and sub-compact market that Kubota had bigger market share.

Looking at Kubota advantages:

• SSQA. I prefer it, but I think there are plenty of attachments available for JD style. Not huge, but material, but remember most tractors won't have it optioned.
  • Quick park loader. It's an option on the JD. Again I prefer it and it's great having it on every model.
  • Cab. Yes, if you need a cab. I don't.
  • 3 speed gearbox on the B upwards. Also material functional difference.
  • Raise and curl at same time. That's a material difference you can't get on a JD.

So, in summary, I feel like the JD advantages are things that are opinion based, fixed already, or that can be optioned on the Kubota.

A couple of the things that are Kubota advantages are things that just aren't available on the JD - the cab, the raise and curl, the 3 speed gearbox on the lower end compacts.

Of course, this is an orange site. The things that are opinion based I tend to lean towards the Kubota side, that's why I have a Kubota. They're both good tractors.

He did miss out that the Kubotas and most of their parts and attachments are built by Kubota, and spare parts come from Kubota. JD don't build all their bits themselves, the engines are Yanmar, loaders may not be JD. Probably not a big deal given how big JD are, but maybe not quite as good integration.

I think the Kubota loaders have a nicer design - curved booms etc. JD still look a bit more boxy to me.

Not much in it at the end of the day.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
saw these videos the other day... 5 things that make one better than the other (and visa versa)... you decide if you agree or not and what's important to you:confused:

Why Green is better than Orange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5RaPF0ttI

Why Orange is better than Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVRVBfNi9s
Seen this many times........

Anything plastic will crack.....never seen an old JD mower that has been in the sunlight long NOT crack. Plastic breaks down via the sun, makes it brittle.

Even despite the plastic part - not being able to curl and raise bucket would drive me crazy

Brake opposite the pedal, despite what was done in the past is the better solution - really hard to ease into a place if the same foot has to supply forward movement and braking at the same time.

I am sure both engines are fine - it is nice to have one manufacture for it all however.

Personally - the BX "S" series is a huge step forward that JD is still behind on.

Ill take my orange.......Kubota....Stihl....what was the other orange thing?....mmm.....;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
saw these videos the other day... 5 things that make one better than the other (and visa versa)... you decide if you agree or not and what's important to you:confused:

Why Green is better than Orange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5RaPF0ttI

Why Orange is better than Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVRVBfNi9s
Lack of position control on the BX is a show stopper for me.

Available on comparable JD.

That said, I have 5 Kubotas and no JDs. I also have no BXs.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Seen this many times........

Anything plastic will crack.....never seen an old JD mower that has been in the sunlight long NOT crack. Plastic breaks down via the sun, makes it brittle.

Even despite the plastic part - not being able to curl and raise bucket would drive me crazy

Brake opposite the pedal, despite what was done in the past is the better solution - really hard to ease into a place if the same foot has to supply forward movement and braking at the same time.

I am sure both engines are fine - it is nice to have one manufacture for it all however.

Personally - the BX "S" series is a huge step forward that JD is still behind on.

Ill take my orange.......Kubota....Stihl....what was the other orange thing?....mmm.....;)
Tell me about the plastic. Owning a 65 and 68 grand Kubota's and the paint has faded to Mary Kay pink and the fenders look like they have skin cancer. Even the sheet metal hoods have faded and they stay inside when not being used.

I have to say I own a JD mower and it faded too but faded green looks a darn sight better than Mary Kay pink.:eek:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I would rather see one comparing models. Different ages and models are bound to have all sorts of pros and cons.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Both great tractors but more for your $$$ with Kubota here in CT I own JD garden tractors but never a green compact mainly because of $$$. Always got more tractor with Kubota. And resale!!!

I wouldn't trust JD's sub compacts from past problems. I'm sure they're corrected now.

Both great motors. More Yanmars out at sea where it really matters but Kubota's run just as good even if you NEVER service them for thousands of hours. Really a toss up.

Hydros. Hands down Kubota; no validation needed.
3 point hitch - JD seems to have an edge. Don't like Kubota's top link bracket on many models.

I like JD's hard anodized rods over Kubota hard chrome. Over the years I've replaced chrome rods due to minor flaking; it eats seals. I never saw hard anodized fail like this.

Metal vs plastic: pros and cons to each. I had a body shop and I like plastic fenders they're tough. At least plastics on JD can be fixed. There's an epoxy repair for just about any plastic/composite you just need to know what it is. No Rust!!! But metal is easy to fix and when strength is needed no substitute for a weld repair. Plastic hoods suck on all of them!!!

One thing that is obvious with Kubota is their budget minded tractor like L3400, 4400 etc. has less money spent on frills including PAINT systems. They fade and get subsurface rust quicker than deluxe models. They're on a whole different finishing line at the factory. Kinda like a base F150 and a Super Duty King Ranch. Not all finishing systems are equal from the metal on up. Mechanicals are great though.

Foot pedals, GST, treadle, compared to JD's features. You get used to about anything. I like treadle or toe/heel over side by side. I just got a GST and there's a learning curve.

Overall Kubota's got um in value to $$ in my area.
Private sellers and dealers didn't negotiate much with JD.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I agree - here in NE CT you get more tractor for your money with Kubota. Both dealerships are only a few miles from each other (Franklin vs Colechester) - you would think the JD dealer would try to be more competitive on pricing!

I used my neighbors JD sub compact for years before getting my BX. I couldn't believe how much smoother the hydraulics are on the Kubota! The JD is downright jerky...

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
You can't raise and curl at the same time on a JD? Isnt that almost part of the technique of taking a full bucket scoop of something? I'm not a tractor expert but I didnt realize that was a "feature."

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think you can on a JD, but on the smaller/cheaper models it's hard. Lots of people comment about it, and how much easier it is on a Kubota, I think it's more that the Kubota sweet spot is larger.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I walked into our local JD dealer and took one look at their "take it or leave it" attitude and walked out. A few miles away was a Kubota dealer where a salesman stood beside the tractor and asked me what I wanted to do with the machine, what implements I might need, etc. Talked for likely 15 -20 minutes before he recommended a model, then told me how that model addressed the needs/wants I had expressed. Totally different sales experience for me. No, I didn't buy a new tractor from him, or any tractor from him, but I now have a fleet of three Kubota tractors and can't see any reason why I wouldn't buy another one should the need arise.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When I first looked at something larger than a 10HP lawn mower I went to the local Ford Tractor dealer. After looking a the used outside with no assistance, went inside for a while, then back outside. Finally a guy came out and asked if he could help me.

I asked him who his stiffest competition was. He said Kubota. I went down the street to where he told me they were located and ended up with a new B6100. That machine gave no NO trouble, was never back to the dealer for anything! Sold it after 22 years with 1200 Hrs for 2/3 of new price.

I would never look at another brand of tractor. Just not interested.

But... I understand. Half the population has been married more than once!:D:D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When I first looked at something larger than a 10HP lawn mower I went to the local Ford Tractor dealer. After looking a the used outside with no assistance, went inside for a while, then back outside. Finally a guy came out and asked if he could help me.

I asked him who his stiffest competition was. He said Kubota. I went down the street to where he told me they were located and ended up with a new B6100. That machine gave no NO trouble, was never back to the dealer for anything! Sold it after 22 years with 1200 Hrs for 2/3 of new price.

I would never look at another brand of tractor. Just not interested.

And he is correct on BOTH accounts ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The depreciation of these orange machines is small over time - even if you look at the inflation rate of the dollar, the machines hold value well;)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
My brother in law has a JD, 25 horse, FEL, geared tranny and a bunch of attachments. He's had it for almost 15 years now. I've used it numerous times either helping him mow, grade his drive or clear my lot. I like it and considered a JD before I bought my B3200. A few of the same experiences as others with the JD dealer. JD was more interested in telling me how the competitors were bad and not selling me on their equipment and then there is that premium for the green paint. A comparable JD to the L3201 (what I was looking at new) had a sticker at least 3G over the Kubota and charged extra for delivery and storage until I picked it up based on the day I signed.... Must be that big city JD mentality.

My Kubota dealer focused on my needs and what they had that would fit them the best. In my case it was a lightly used B3200. Not once did they get in to how bad the other guy's product was. It was all what made Kubota stand out in these areas.

As someone who deals with multiple vendors daily, I get wanting to make your product stand out against the competition, but if you just trash talk them and that is your sales pitch, well for me you have lost the sale. I do value personal experience and preferences when watching these reviews. Gives me something to focus on when I'm testing out new equipment to see if it is an issue with me.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
the choice was easy for me when I had my landscaping business...I simply could not pull a green machine with this :D

But seriously, I don't care for JD pedal set up, plastic hoods, proprietary quick connects, and not having a loader that lifts and curls at the same time is ridiculous to me.

On my new machine, I appreciate the split brakes on the left side (one reason I didn't want an L series) and I like the three range trans.

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I get that some people have had bad experiences with JD dealers, and I hear less about bad experiences with Kubota dealers. But that's kind of dealer specific, unless we think JD aren't training their dealers as well, or have lower expectations.

I'd definitely make my decision based on the dealers I talked to (if my local JD dealer was crap and my local Kubota good, I'd buy orange, and vice versa). I'm not sure I'd make my decision based on other people's experiences of their dealers - that may not translate to my local dealer. As I say, there seems to be a bit of a pattern, but I'd still go visit them to check.

dsims

Equipment
BX2380 60"Drive Over/SSQA Loader
Feb 23, 2019
Clear Lake, IA
I compared the BX2380, JD 1025R, and the Massey Ferguson comparable model. The MF had a lot in common with the BX, but just didn't feel as complete. The JD I ran from. Their biggest selling point is plastic. The function and finish of the JD didn't compare to Kubota in my opinion. Have to use the key to pop the hood. The upsell fender lights only light the rear of the loader arms. The only thing JD had over the Kubota in my opinion is the Autoconnect deck. Wasn't enough to justify the price.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
...I would never look at another brand of tractor. Just not interested.

And the other half now owns all the former's toys! ;)

JD earned their place in the hearts of farmers during the Great Depression when, as the market failed and prices died, farmers could no longer make their payments. The other brands repossessed tractors and implements by the thousands when payments fell behind.
JD very wisely understood that, as a mfr'r, the last thing they wanted was to own a bunch of used equipment while trying to make & sell new equip't.!!
They told their customers to KEEP their tractors, etc', and try to stay afloat thru the Depression...and to make payments when they can!
Smart. Very smart. Those farmers would never forget it! They bought JD ONLY after that, and JD sold and re-sold to them and their sons over and over again thru the decades.

Things are different now. JD (and MF, IH, Ford/NewHolland, etc.) has failed to keep up with innovation and production efficiencies (largely foreign-production low expenses) until the competition passed them by...and now are trying to play "catch-up". On top of that, they've treated customers snootily and outsourced mfr'g and parts supply. They now share a belief that their customers are the Millenium-kids and the subsidized-corporate farmers.

Kubota, Mahindra, LS, etc. have grabbed market-share and it's no longer the kindness of the Depression-Era that keeps JD in business... it's a mindset that "I'll never look at another brand" that keeps them in business... despite their snooty-dealers and snobbish factory attitudes. JD has forgotten it's own lesson and background.

Kubota simply has a very good product and an even better attitude toward it's customers and follows it up with service and polishes the deal with good financing. Mahindra makes products comparable to JD with better dealer attitudes and red paint.... but Kubota makes better designed products with more robust construction and follows it up with financing, service, and advertising and now.... reputation... which equates to re-sale value.
I just hope that as an owner of a 1996 M4700DT (heavy-gauge all-metal and no emissions controls) that long-term support and parts-supply will measure up and not fall into obsolescence. Kubota's penchant for multiple-models and frequent model-changes might be their Achilles heel.

Last edited: