Great Auction Site for Bargains in YOUR Area

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The mention of “using a microscope” by JohnDB in another thread got me thinking….I use mine every now and then for inspections and fine detail work.

Here is the auction site that I purchased it and many other items through…..some at tremendous savings. This auction site serves various businesses that use their auction service to dispose of its surplus inventory. You’d be surprised at what shows up for sale at different times and the bargains you might be able to pick up.

I live near a college town (University of North Dakota) so I frequently check to see what they have up for bids. It varies from tools, furniture, storage, equipment, vehicles, electronics, etc. Anything that can be found on or used by the University’s different departments can show up for sale on bids.

You sign up for a free account to be able to bid and have a certain timeframe to pay up upon with your winning bid. On the site’s home page: You’ll see the “Browse auctions with area” and you can select your state (or anywhere). Then select which “Agency” whose auctions you want to view. Then select the “View Auctions” and that agency’s listings will be displayed.

You can also use their search function to search for specific items that might show up anywhere.

Here’s a pic of my high end microscope purchased for pennies on the dollar.
Leitz Wetzlar Microscope.jpg

Over the years I’ve purchased a large metal shear and other equipment, meters, electronic test equipment, heavy duty storage and file cabinets, a weaving loom (for the wife…honest!!) and other goods. Since UND has a medical department….a nice, adjustable stainless steel autopsy table showed up in my shop. :LOL: It works great for processing Venison and other game!! Also, it’s quite the unique workbench! And if you happen to spill your beer....it all drains to one end and into a bucket below! 🤣

It’s certainly worth your while to check out who might use their services in your own area. You never know what you might need!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know someone who went to the University of North Dakota and I always wondered how they got their degree. Now I know, they bought it on the University of North Dakota auction site. They said that it was kind of expensive, but it opened a lot of doors for him. He is now working for Anderson installing doors and windows.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I know someone who went to the University of North Dakota and I always wondered how they got their degree. Now I know, they bought it on the University of North Dakota auction site. They said that it was kind of expensive, but it opened a lot of doors for him. He is now working for Anderson installing doors and windows.
LOL! Yeah, it's not the cheapest college to attend by any means. It's highly rated for it's medical dept. and even more so for it's aviation dept. On the sports side....college hockey.....they do very well. Ralph Engelstad (from Las Vegas) built the nicest college hockey arena in the US for the program. Affectionately called The Ralph a nice little $110 million complex.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
110 million dollar complex,, just think if they would have used that money for education

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
110 million dollar complex,, just think if they would have used that money for education
True, but that wasn't an option and it did raise a lot of contrasting opinions at the start. But in the end, it was a gift from Mr. Englestad and was to be used for his ideas only. Take it or leave it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Building it on someone else's dime sounds like a great deal, until you realize that you have to maintain the building, and a building of that size isn't inexpensive to maintain. Personally, I wish that colleges and universities were to get out of the sports business and focus on education at a reasonable price. University of Connecticut (UCONN) was almost always touted as making a profit on the sports teams, until recently, when an actual audit was done, and it turns out that it is actually costing the University to run the programs.
UConn’s athletic department has been running with a deficit of more than $40 million the past five years, among the highest in the country. In 2020, the school announced it would cut four sport (men’s cross country, men’s swimming and diving, men’s tennis and women’s rowing) with a mandate to reduce institutional support by 25 percent by 2023.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya know if any ever watched the Big Bang Theory, one time one of the boys, found a object in space and there was much to do about it. And the president of the collage was talking to the boys and he asked if they knew what the course of the collage was, they said science. He said ,wrong, it is money. And he was right