Gravel approach fix?

wicrules

Equipment
L2501, rotary cutter, box blade, quick hitch
Jan 6, 2023
North Alabama
So, I think I screwed this up... I have a depression that runs through my pasture that stays wet pretty much all of the time. I need to be able to cross over to bush hog, mow around my pond, etc. I placed 2 12" drainage pipes (corrugated HDPE) and backfilled with gravel. Problem is the gravel ended up being much thicker than I anticipated on the approach to the pipes. My tractor gets almost to the pipes then just starts spinning the tires and digging into the gravel. I need suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need to remove the gravel and build up with dirt first? Can I pour bagged concrete on top of it and wet it down to try and keep the gravel from spreading under the weight of the tractor? Any help if greatly appreciated.

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
Crusher run is probably the best. Its stone and stone dust and will pack like concrete. Just my opinion but doesn't seem like you did anything "wrong" in the first place. But there a some very knowledgeable folks on here who are sure to chime in. Good luck in your project!

Reactions: 1 users

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Is the gravel smooth and round, like pea gravel? That stuff stays loose. or is it rough edged crusher gravel?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
You could probably get away with adding a load of gravel fines to it. Maybe scoop a layer of the gravel up, add a thin layer of fines, them mix the gravel you took up with the remaining fines and top it off. The fines will aid in compaction as they fill in the voids.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It is 3/4" limestone gravel.
3/4 minus, is what you should have used.
Apparently you used 3/4 washed.
Adding some "stone dust" should solve your problem, as what you will have what has become 3/4 minus.... mixed in place.

If you choose to use bagged cement, there is no need to wet it.
Let mother nature do the wetting job for you.

Stone dust is the better idea though.
You will be able to grade that at a later date if need be.
Grading will not be possible if using cement!

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like the gravel may not have been compacted? If it’s 3/4” clean, that wouldn’t matter since it wouldn’t have compacted anyhow. Ideally compact the gravel in 6” thick lifts and use 3/4” - 0 (aka 3/4 minus).

wicrules

Equipment
L2501, rotary cutter, box blade, quick hitch
Jan 6, 2023
North Alabama
Sounds like the gravel may not have been compacted? If it’s 3/4” clean, that wouldn’t matter since it wouldn’t have compacted anyhow. Ideally compact the gravel in 6” thick lifts and use 3/4” - 0 (aka 3/4 minus).
Thanks for all of the info! I spread some bagged concrete over it and wet it down some with my electric sprayer. Not predicting rain in the next week or so and I want to work on it some more Monday. If that doesn't do it, I'll go get a load of crusher run to put on it.... nowhere to have it dumped (gravel pile is only place I have to have stuff dumped), so I will have to shovel it from the trailer... fun!