Snowblower Gravel adapter

Cstock5468

Equipment
L3560 with loader, BH92, LP post hole auger, LP box scraper, Front PTO snow blow
Apr 16, 2020
Plainfield, NH
I did this on a previous blower I had so I don’t have any pictures. But basically, I took 1/4” thick x 2” wide mild steel. Cut it to length and matched the profile of the existing shoes. I bent it along the same lines and butted it against the outside edge of the existing shoe. I did it to the outside edge so the shoes could still pulled up all the way for later in the season. I also added a few gussets to add strength to the extended shoe. I beveled both ends of the new shoe before welding. I tacked it all together and then fully welded it. The gussets really helped keep everything flat and mimized the warping From welding as well as keeping the new shoe from bending upward.
Thanks

Kubota Paul

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2018
Lions Head On. Canada
I have read over many years about the placing of a PVC pipe over the cutting edge of a plow and in some cases over the edge on a snowblower to stop picking up gravel.
I decided to do the modification but instead of PVC used a thick wall Galv pipe.
The unit had to be able to mount using the existing holes and be no lower than the side slides.
So after 2 tests in mixed conditions none really worthy of blowing I can conclude it works. The level of gravel thrown was almost none even when the substrate was not fully frozen, usually when the stones fly.
It is quick to mount and dismount so as conditions change.
In addition, I was tired of the black soot on the blower so also added an exhaust diverter.
Hope this of interest to anyone in the gravel throwing business.
Nice Job. I tried the PVC. It did not like the blower going in reverse dragging snow to pack it. Came off

Canadian Beaver

Equipment
Kubota
Dec 25, 2021
Canada
I have read over many years about the placing of a PVC pipe over the cutting edge of a plow and in some cases over the edge on a snowblower to stop picking up gravel.
I decided to do the modification but instead of PVC used a thick wall Galv pipe.
The unit had to be able to mount using the existing holes and be no lower than the side slides.
So after 2 tests in mixed conditions none really worthy of blowing I can conclude it works. The level of gravel thrown was almost none even when the substrate was not fully frozen, usually when the stones fly.
In addition, I was tired of the black soot on the blower so also added an exhaust diverter.
Great Idea !! Thanks for this !!...What size of pipe did you end up using ?

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I have done similar with black iron pipe, 1".

However, I cut a groove down the middle and slid it on where the removed cutting edge goes.
I drilled corresponding holes that matched existing and bolted it through there.

2 runs so far and I , too, agree that the amount of rocks, in my case, has been diminished greatly.

I did similar to my rear blade, 2" pipe though. I have not found a way to secure it yet but it is a press fit and has not come off yet(fingers crossed and a lot of checking).

Jmsossi

Equipment
Bx1880 bx2830 rck54-23
Oct 8, 2013
Calumet, mi
I had the same problem with grass, gravel rocks ect. Got tired of replacing shear bolts and blowing rocks. Finally paved all the area that I snow blow !! No more problems👍 B044A7B0-B69A-4B3D-8A83-778A2ADA1034.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Canadian Beaver

Equipment
Kubota
Dec 25, 2021
Canada

However, I cut a groove down the middle and slid it on where the removed cutting edge goes.
I drilled corresponding holes that matched existing and bolted it through there.

2 runs so far and I , too, agree that the amount of rocks, in my case, has been diminished greatly.

I did similar to my rear blade, 2" pipe though. I have not found a way to secure it yet but it is a press fit and has not come off yet(fingers crossed and a lot of checking).

Thanks for the info. This helps going forward !!

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia

Greetings Orange1forme, I put the 2 inch pipe on my rear blade, and cut the groove down the center, then I put it over the cutting edge, then I took out the 2 bolts on the cutting edge out, cut a piece of flat bar, weld it to the pipe edge covering the cutting edge bolt holes, then drilled the hole out and bolted it to the cutting edge

Reactions: 1 user

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Greetings Orange1forme, I put the 2 inch pipe on my rear blade, and cut the groove down the center, then I put it over the cutting edge, then I took out the 2 bolts on the cutting edge out, cut a piece of flat bar, weld it to the pipe edge covering the cutting edge bolt holes, then drilled the hole out and bolted it to the cutting edge
I need to find a way to attach, or keep it from coming off.
Unfortunately I was unable to make a single pipe with a straight enough groove in it so I have multiple pieces of pipe at this time.

I guess I could weld them together now and do similar to your method.