Grappling with this...

RTF505

Feb 28, 2019
Hoover, AL
I’ve got a 2012, L3240 HST, that I would like to add a Front grapple attachment to. I’m interested in any suggestions or advice on this project. Can I do it myself, how cost intensive is it, will my tractor handle the extra load?

hseII

Aug 18, 2018
West Georgia
I’ve got a 2012, L3240 HST, that I would like to add a Front grapple attachment to. I’m interested in any suggestions or advice on this project. Can I do it myself, how cost intensive is it, will my tractor handle the extra load?

Look at the Everything Attachments Wicked Grapple Line.

There is lots of geometry related to building a grapple before you ever strike an arc.

The EA wicked line seems to be the ideal Grapple for a Utility tractor, especially your size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Land Pride.

3rd function valve kit. And of course you'll need a grapple.

The 3rd function valve kit is kinda fun to put on a grand L 40 series. Not impossible since I've done a few but they aren't beginner installations since the instructions basically, kinda, well they just suck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Land Pride.

3rd function valve kit. And of course you'll need a grapple.

The 3rd function valve kit is kinda fun to put on a grand L 40 series. Not impossible since I've done a few but they aren't beginner installations since the instructions basically, kinda, well they just suck.
Lugbolt, you got that right, and most think is just like the xx01 series tractors, an hour later you're done!

I looked at the installation instructions for my L4240 and decided to let the dealer do it. Glad I did. They had the room, knowledge, tools, hyd fluid needed to be replaced, experience with that particular installation, and PATIENCE.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I too have an L3240 and I purchased the EA 60 inch wicked root grapple with the single lid and also purchased the WR Long third function valve. The grapple is about 150 lbs heavier than the loader bucket. I installed the third function valve myself. You would not believe the work I have accomplished with this piece of equipment. I rarely take it off the tractor.

Matt H

Equipment
L3240 GST
Jun 8, 2022
Jasper, IN
I too have an L3240 and I purchased the EA 60 inch wicked root grapple with the single lid and also purchased the WR Long third function valve. The grapple is about 150 lbs heavier than the loader bucket. I installed the third function valve myself. You would not believe the work I have accomplished with this piece of equipment. I rarely take it off the tractor.
How do you like the 60 inch? EA recommended the 55 to me for weight savings on my L3240. Do you feel it is too heavy? I have my tires spread to the widest setting & filled with fluid(5500 lbs tractor total). Also have hydraulic pressure set at 2900 psi, a touch over stock pressure. Im also dabating between the root rake grapple and the regular root grapple with longer bottom. Will be used for trees, lumbs, brush, hay, manure, etc on the farm. Thanks, Matt

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
How do you like the 60 inch? EA recommended the 55 to me for weight savings on my L3240. Do you feel it is too heavy? I have my tires spread to the widest setting & filled with fluid(5500 lbs tractor total). Also have hydraulic pressure set at 2900 psi, a touch over stock pressure. Im also dabating between the root rake grapple and the regular root grapple with longer bottom. Will be used for trees, lumbs, brush, hay, manure, etc on the farm. Thanks, Matt
Matt - I recently ordered a 60" EA Wicked root rake grapple. I live in Northern Utah so the four month lead sucks! But I spent about 20 hours looking at all the alternatives out there which I could list out. I chose the EA and went their size recommendation. I did so based on weight, design and assembly. From what you are describing I would say the root rake would work quite well as tool. I would personally go with what they recommend, rather than the larger model. Every pound of weight you put into the implement is one less pound you can move. I don't have mine yet but the hours spent on watching You Tube videos that compare and contrast style, size, etc. make me feel comfortable in what I am saying. Hope this helps a little.
Kevin

Matt H

Equipment
L3240 GST
Jun 8, 2022
Jasper, IN
Matt - I recently ordered a 60" EA Wicked root rake grapple. I live in Northern Utah so the four month lead sucks! But I spent about 20 hours looking at all the alternatives out there which I could list out. I chose the EA and went their size recommendation. I did so based on weight, design and assembly. From what you are describing I would say the root rake would work quite well as tool. I would personally go with what they recommend, rather than the larger model. Every pound of weight you put into the implement is one less pound you can move. I don't have mine yet but the hours spent on watching You Tube videos that compare and contrast style, size, etc. make me feel comfortable in what I am saying. Hope this helps a little.
Kevin
Kevin, thanks. Yes i do appreciate any info, although I really would love to hear from someone who has the 60 on a L3240. I wish EA made a 60-66 inch from 1/4" as an option. I would like the wider width plus the 3 top hinges instead of 2.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I’m interested in any suggestions or advice on this project. Can I do it myself,

do you mean BUY a grapple 'off the shelf' or actually design/build a grapple ?
1st one requires a lot of cash and some time to install, the 2nd,far less cash but time to manufacture it.
most do #1....

re: 3rd function.there's 2 types, 1 a true 3rd function setup, the other an 'either/or setup.
#1 adds a 3rd function available 24/7, #2 is a 'bypass'. when you use the grapple 'open/close' you lose some other control(usually loader curl ??)

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
Based on the fact that the OP's tractor is a 2012, would it be proper to assume that it currently has a pin-on bucket (instead of a SSQA)?

If that was the case, I'd recc the SSQA conversion and then a suitable SSQA grapple; many excellent brands already mentioned.

SSQA Land Pride SGC0554 here!(y)

Reactions: 1 user