Grapples: Land Pride vs. Everything Attachments

Andy L

Equipment
B2601
Feb 19, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
I have a B2601 and need to decide on a grapple. I plan to use it for transporting brush and logs. I'll use it to pull blackberry bushes if it works well for that. The two models I'm considering are the Land Pride SGC0554 Claw Grapple ($1550) and the EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple ($2200 + $200 shipping). They are of similar shape and and size. The Land Pride is 180 lbs and has a jaw opening of 30", and the the EA is 240 lbs, with a jaw opening of 36". The widths are similar. The Land Pride has smooth tines, and the EA's tines have teeth. The larger size of the EA seems to account for most of the weight difference but may have slightly heavier steel. If I compare the price per lb, the Land Pride wins: $8.60/lb for the Land Pride and $10.00/lb for the EA. I can pick up the Land Pride from the local dealer (once they are in stock). Is there any compelling reason to go with the EA, other than the wider opening and teeth?

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I have the EA but I find it hard to justify the difference in price you've got there for your use. I think either will do you fine and if you're out of EA's free shipping zone.....yeah....

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Based on your cost, I would go LP all day. EA makes a very nice unit and I am waiting on one myself, but I am in the free shipping zone.

When will the LP be in stock at your dealer?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the EA, nice unit. Yet for a $1,000 difference that could be used to buy another implement, it is hard to pass on the LP just for the EA.

Reactions: 1 users

Andy L

Equipment
B2601
Feb 19, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
Based on your cost, I would go LP all day. EA makes a very nice unit and I am waiting on one myself, but I am in the free shipping zone.

When will the LP be in stock at your dealer?
Neither grapple is currently in stock, and I don't have an estimate of when either one will be available.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
So Kubota can’t give you any dates? At least if you get EA you will know when you will get it. The bad thing about EA is you have to pay up front and wait months. With LP, you might be waiting a year but you wont be paying up front.

Not sure this is a hard choice if Kubota can’t give you some kind of an ETA.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have the LP grapple (see signature), and it is great. It is all of the grapple you could need for a smaller compact tractor. The smooth tines are not a disadvantage in my uses (logs, brush, sticks, rocks and etc.) due to the claw design, and the smooth tines make for clean dumps (nothing to catch vines and etc. on).

If you cannot get a date for the LP, you might want to look at Homestead Implements: their model is $200 more, 10 weeks to delivery, free shipping to the 48 states and they offer 0% financing for 3, 6 or 12 months.

Andy L

Equipment
B2601
Feb 19, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
I have the LP grapple (see signature), and it is great. It is all of the grapple you could need for a smaller compact tractor. The smooth tines are not a disadvantage in my uses (logs, brush, sticks, rocks and etc.) due to the claw design, and the smooth tines make for clean dumps (nothing to catch vines and etc. on).

If you cannot get a date for the LP, you might want to look at Homestead Implements: their model is $200 more, 10 weeks to delivery, free shipping to the 48 states and they offer 0% financing for 3, 6 or 12 months.

Thanks for the insights, and I'll look at Homestead Implements.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I got the 60" Land Pride grapple for my B2601 and am happy with it. I have used it so far for moving some big telephone poles piled in my daughter's pasture and moving logs and downed branches in my windbreak.

What I love about the LP is its strength and light weight. The steel is unusually strong for its size and weight. I am sure you can get stronger but the price is weight. As it is, I find it handy to put on and use.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had a LP SGC0548 that I used with my BX25D and it was a good little grapple for that small tractor. Given the limitations of smaller tractors it might not make sense to spend a lot more money on a tougher product, but if you plan to upgrade your tractor and keep the grapple you might want to buy once and cry once. The EA 55 is rated to 60 hp, the LP to half that.

If you compare the LP SGC0554 to the EA Wicked 55 there's no doubt that the EA is a stronger grapple. LP doesn't use gussets, doesn't laminate the bottom tines, uses stitch rather than full welds in many places, uses AR400, has fewer tines top and bottom, has more space between the tines etc. If you don't need a stronger grapple you'd be wasting your money.

Picking up brush and moving posts or logs around isn't much of a test for a grapple. Grabbing boulders and raking up roots in rocky ground on the front of a 60 hp tractor is a much tougher test.

Vahunter

Equipment
Kubota L4310; Woods Ground Mover LC102 FEL; EA Wicked 60 Grapple
Mar 15, 2021
Virginia
I have the wicked 60 grapple from EA. It is as advertised, a quality implement. You can debate whether or not it's worth the extra money/wait time but I'm extremely happy with it. I can't comment on the land pride because I've never owned one or seen one in action, but i did see my neighbor bend his homestead terribly. CDI also seems to be a pretty good grapple, and one I've actually used and considered purchasing.

Andy L

Equipment
B2601
Feb 19, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
I got the 60" Land Pride grapple for my B2601 and am happy with it. I have used it so far for moving some big telephone poles piled in my daughter's pasture and moving logs and downed branches in my windbreak.

What I love about the LP is its strength and light weight. The steel is unusually strong for its size and weight. I am sure you can get stronger but the price is weight. As it is, I find it handy to put on and use.
Thanks for the insights, Mossy. Sounds like the LP is perfectly suited to my needs.

Andy L

Equipment
B2601
Feb 19, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
I had a LP SGC0548 that I used with my BX25D and it was a good little grapple for that small tractor. Given the limitations of smaller tractors it might not make sense to spend a lot more money on a tougher product, but if you plan to upgrade your tractor and keep the grapple you might want to buy once and cry once. The EA 55 is rated to 60 hp, the LP to half that.

If you compare the LP SGC0554 to the EA Wicked 55 there's no doubt that the EA is a stronger grapple. LP doesn't use gussets, doesn't laminate the bottom tines, uses stitch rather than full welds in many places, uses AR400, has fewer tines top and bottom, has more space between the tines etc. If you don't need a stronger grapple you'd be wasting your money.

Picking up brush and moving posts or logs around isn't much of a test for a grapple. Grabbing boulders and raking up roots in rocky ground on the front of a 60 hp tractor is a much tougher test.
You make some excellent points. I have no plans or needs for a larger tractor, so I doubt I will ever need a grapple that is stronger and heavier than the LP.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The little LP grapple I had was excellent for picking up large logs and supporting them like an adjustable saw horse so that I could cut them up into logs without bending over all day long.

I feel like I betrayed that little BX by selling it. 😟 It lives at a lake now and gets used a lot but I do miss it.

sgc0548_bx25_2.jpg

sgc0548_bx25.jpg

Up_&_Running

Equipment
L2501H
Jul 3, 2021
Northwest Illinois
Got the Land Pride SGC0554 with my L2501 last year, sold it about 6 months after purchase. I bascially unloaded it before I broke it, it worked out, got what I paid for it.

It would be nice if it had some kind of teeth. I was moving chunks of trees I was cutting down, basically Id cut the canopy into pieces the tractor/grapple could handle. I found it not well suited for moving around logs to be processed for firewood ( no reflection on Land Pride ), the design does not lend it self to logs that are not mostly straight, it will still do it all day, just not well. Ive only got old groth hardwoods, and they aint straight !!! Too much screwing around. Yes, I do know about the image above this post, LOL...

The lack of grease zerks on the cylinder pivots was underwhelming. Im still looking for something more grapple less rake, I think it would be fair to say I bought the wrong tool. But I was not impressed for the $.

I tried twice last year to buy the EA 55, but the wait was too long both times.

Likely I need a skid loader, but I need a tractor more... and dont have the $ for both.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Got the Land Pride SGC0554 with my L2501 last year, sold it about 6 months after purchase. I bascially unloaded it before I broke it, it worked out, got what I paid for it.

It would be nice if it had some kind of teeth. I was moving chunks of trees I was cutting down, basically Id cut the canopy into pieces the tractor/grapple could handle. I found it not well suited for moving around logs to be processed for firewood ( no reflection on Land Pride ), the design does not lend it self to logs that are not mostly straight, it will still do it all day, just not well. Ive only got old groth hardwoods, and they aint straight !!! Too much screwing around. Yes, I do know about the image above this post, LOL...

The lack of grease zerks on the cylinder pivots was underwhelming. Im still looking for something more grapple less rake, I think it would be fair to say I bought the wrong tool. But I was not impressed for the $.

I tried twice last year to buy the EA 55, but the wait was too long both times.

Likely I need a skid loader, but I need a tractor more... and dont have the $ for both.
My understanding is that grapple is suited for the BX line not the L series. I have SGC0660 coming for my L2501. My buddy has same tractor and the 0660. It is pretty stout. I have used it and I was impressed.

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
34148438-588B-4D3A-A79E-3621A685FDE1.jpeg

I’ve had zero complaints with the land pride grapple, and it was in stock when I bought the tractor.

Reactions: 2 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
My understanding is that grapple is suited for the BX line not the L series. I have SGC0660 coming for my L2501. My buddy has same tractor and the 0660. It is pretty stout. I have used it and I was impressed.
I selected mine based on the same intended uses that you list. I ended up with the LP SGC0660 with my L2501 rolled in upfront after much debate and advice here. My first test run was a big nasty 36"diameter red oak stump leftover from Hurricane Sandy. Dug it out and it handled the awkward mess easily. Didn't stop to take a pic actually doing it...
stump.jpg
I haven't gotten into firewood processing yet but am actually looking forward to it this year :cool:

Up_&_Running

Equipment
L2501H
Jul 3, 2021
Northwest Illinois
Hey, sorry, I screwed up, I thought the " 54 " number seemed familiar, likely I looked at it before purchase, but the dealer sent me home with the 0660. I just went to looking on my phone and found pics from the day I brought it home. As a side note, and not that it make is ok, Ive working on getting rid of Lyme disease for about 5 years, its really hard on your memory, and allot of other things !

IMG_20200807_093751392.jpg