Grapple Question

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I ran across a used Land Pride SCG0548 grapple located a little over an hour away. The dealer is asking $975, however I’ve gotten him down to $825. It has a some rust, but all tines are straight and the hydraulics work. It’s a first generation grapple and would work with my BX.

Is this a fair deal?

Anything I should pay attention to with this series of grapple? I’ve attached a picture for reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Fair deal? can't answer.
"Anything I should pay attention to with this series of grapple?". Looks like the pins don't have grease zerks, so removal, grease, reinstall needed.
Owners manual: CLICK HERE

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
Fair deal? can't answer.
"Anything I should pay attention to with this series of grapple?". Looks like the pins don't have grease zerks, so removal, grease, reinstall needed.
Owners manual: CLICK HERE
I’ve heard some early ones had welding issues which is why I went with an EA Wicked. But, for that price, you can drill out a lot of pins and buy many pounds of rod.
regards,

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are looking for a cheap light duty root grapple, you have access to a weld shop, and you don't mind doing repairs then it might be a good deal. If you tried fabricating one you'd probably spend $800 in T&M. It's your money and your decision.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Seems like a good match for your tractor and if you are good with the price I'd say go for it. I love our grapples.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Not a bad price, do you already have the third function kit installed on your tractor? That is an added expense, if not already mounted. They do make a bolt on kit for your tractor.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Not a bad price, do you already have the third function kit installed on your tractor? That is an added expense, if not already mounted. They do make a bolt on kit for your tractor.
Yes, installed the Summit kit a few week's ago.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I find I use my Grapple ( same tractor and set up as you) more than any other implement I have.
I’ve been able to do so much more work, and get so much more done with the Grapple, than I could have imagined. It’s also gotten me involved in many extra projects that I would never have started, had I not felt so confident with the Grapple.

Reactions: 1 user

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Can someone confirm the hydraulic fitting size for this grapple (SCG0548)? Are the fittings 1/4"?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Can someone confirm the hydraulic fitting size for this grapple (SCG0548)? Are the fittings 1/4"?
I think the dealer puts them on based on what you request. Some 3rd function circuits use different fittings so they will usually accommodate whatever you need.

On mine with the Kubota OEM 3rd function and the LP SGC0660 grapple I have 3/8" fittings and Pioneer style quick connects.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Look at the parts manual in pages 8 and 9. If ref number 7 is what you are talking about the part description is CP 9/16FORB QD 1/4BODY FEMALE. That should be it unless they have been changed by someone.

LINK TO PARTS MANUAL

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Look at the parts manual in pages 8 and 9. If ref number 7 is what you are talking about the part description is CP 9/16FORB QD 1/4BODY FEMALE. That should be it unless they have been changed by someone.

LINK TO PARTS MANUAL
Thanks. I've looked at this and I see 9/16 in in a lot of the part descriptions, which seems like a really odd size to me...thus my question.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
My dealership installed my 3rd function kit and Grapple with QD for free, and I actually got a bit off the parts. Mine has 1/4” , and I believe it’s from the factory, just installed by the dealer.
I did change ( reverse) one side M/F so they always plug in the correct way, plus when I remove the Grapple, I can connect the hydro line fittings together. Helps keep it a little cleaner

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Land Pride seems to like these ORB fittings. I had nothing but trouble trying to find compatible fittings in the 1/4 size with ORB. But, Im willing to bet the landpride grapple will work out of the box with the land pride 3rd function.

When I had to hook up my artillian grapple to my LP 3rd function, I abandoned the 1/4" ORB fittings and switched the bulkhead fitting from ORB type to NPTF (3/8 JIC 1/4 NPTF). After that, getting off the shelf fittings at my local hydraulic shop was a lot easier.

Mo D

Equipment
B2301,LA435,RGR1260,ArtillianRakeGrappleRake,FrontBucket,3ft.Forks,Patseasyhitch
Nov 28, 2020
Kentucky
Land Pride seems to like these ORB fittings. I had nothing but trouble trying to find compatible fittings in the 1/4 size with ORB. But, Im willing to bet the landpride grapple will work out of the box with the land pride 3rd function.

When I had to hook up my artillian grapple to my LP 3rd function, I abandoned the 1/4" ORB fittings and switched the bulkhead fitting from ORB type to NPTF (3/8 JIC 1/4 NPTF). After that, getting off the shelf fittings at my local hydraulic shop was a lot easier.
I'm having the same problem I ordered two couplings from Amazon only to find out they don't fit. Then I went to my dealer only to purchase two more but only could use one socket. As you know the grapple comes with two male ends but my 3rd function valve did too. I think I finally found the right one it's in the mail,,,,,, fingers crossed.