Grapple Modification

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
Since a lot of the debris we grab with the Grapple is tree branches and such, we always end up with something poking thru. Figuring the grill guard was good start, I also added some expanded metal to the Grapple in between the teeth. I might still add an extension to the top with expanded metal in between it also.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have always wondered why they don't do something like that on all grapples. It looks like there are 4 sections of the expanded metal, is there a reason you didn't just run 1 piece along the front? If I ever get a grapple, I will have to add expanded metal to it. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
What a great idea and execution of the idea. Have you used it yet after the mod?

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I called the company I bought mine from and asked on this. They said the reason they do not is because they believe the amount of trash that will stick in it and how hard it would be to remove it is the reason they don't. Based upon my use believe they have a valid thought there. I would think the issue could vary a lot with the types and size of twigs you are loading.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I called the company I bought mine from and asked on this. They said the reason they do not is because they believe the amount of trash that will stick in it and how hard it would be to remove it is the reason they don't. Based upon my use believe they have a valid thought there. I would think the issue could vary a lot with the types and size of twigs you are loading.
I have had branches hit my hoses. I would much rather they never get that far. The expanded would fix that.

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
I have always wondered why they don't do something like that on all grapples. It looks like there are 4 sections of the expanded metal, is there a reason you didn't just run 1 piece along the front? If I ever get a grapple, I will have to add expanded metal to it. Nice job and thanks for sharing.
mdhughes, you are correct in that there are 4 sections. I thought of doing one but then it would stick to far forward for my liking. Since the grapple is used for moving logs around also and sometimes the limbs aren't cut perfectly flush, I'm hoping the small setback is enough to let the expanded metal last a little longer.

What a great idea and execution of the idea. Have you used it yet after the mod?
Plan to use tomorrow. Wanted to give the paint an extra day to dry.

That is a concern but only a little one. I'd honestly rather deal with the trash than a busted hydraulic line or worse, something thru the radiator.

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
That is a concern but only a little one. I'd honestly rather deal with the trash than a busted hydraulic line or worse, something thru the radiator.

I can understand that. Did not say I agreed with them but do understand that being a possible concern. Would I have paid extra for something in my grapple to help protect the radiator area, yes.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
mdhughes, you are correct in that there are 4 sections. I thought of doing one but then it would stick to far forward for my liking. Since the grapple is used for moving logs around also and sometimes the limbs aren't cut perfectly flush, I'm hoping the small setback is enough to let the expanded metal last a little longer.
That is something that I haven't thought about. I would be using a grapple for moving logs also, I will have to keep this in mind if I get one. Thanks again for sharing.

Terrain Twister

Equipment
B2650, RTV-X1100C
Nov 17, 2018
Heron, MT
For those interested in knowing, I'm very pleased with the expanded metal that I welded in the grapple. So far, it's not held any trash but has definitively stopped anything from coming thru and threatening the hoses or grill. That said, I'm thinking of also adding a 6" tall extension to the top of the mounted piece that wont interfere with the arm operation. I would give it a slight tilt forward maybe 5-10 degrees.

I'll try and get a picture this weekend of it grabbing a limbed tree just to show how well it's working.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I never gave it much thought, but the back of my grapple is solid. On mine it's a structural component.

I would think adding a relatively thin (1/16 inch ?) solid sheet to an open design, wouldn't add much more weight and it's not being called upon to be structural .
100_1644.jpeg

Palmettokat

Equipment
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Terrain Twister, looks good. I was surprised to see this is a Land Pride grapple or at least looks like their name on it. I was planning on buying the LP with my L tractor and the day before to pick it up was left a message they had sold it twice and the other guy had picked it up. Don't remember the model number but it had some metal in the back that provided some protection, a lot compared to your grapple. One reason I was buying the LP. In stead I bought the Everything Attachment 66 wicked grapple. I installed a custom grill on my tractor, did have strong enough limb to come through or below my grapple to rip what K calls the net or netting in the front end. Only ripped it and did not come through but that netting is right costly and not an easy replacement.

Your customizing looks really good. I shall be placing on my to do list to check out adding expanded metal directly to my grapple. Thanks

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NICE !!! You should send the MFR of the grapple your pictures. Maybe they'll add it onto the next batch of grapples and they'll send you a 'thank you' present. Something like that improvement or feature would definitly get me to buy theirs instead of the competition.