Grand L3560 front axle grease question

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Kubota Grand L3560. Model year 2016, 4 wheel drive. No cab :( 98 hours. Had it almost 2 months. Front axle support greasing. There are two grease zerts labeled for front axle grease support, one on each end. There is a plug that apparently needs to be removed while greasing the zerts. Owners manual page 96 says to pump in grease until you see it coming out the plug opening. the first time, which took a bit I have done so on the front zert and will have grease come out fairly quickly. The rear zert I greased twice with quite a bit, perhaps a quarter of a tube each of the two times. Today I decided to pump on the rear zert untill I got grease out the plug. I pumped in a whole tube, still none coming out the plug opening or anywhere else I can see. Any one have any ideas or suggestions ?

Separate question the manual shows grease zerts at both front wheel tie rods, the tractor has no zerts there. It does have the normal black soft rubber boot. Is this supposed to be a so called lifetime factory greased tie rod end ?

P.S. I have been reading this site for a couple months before I bought the tractor. It's a incredible site. Thanks to all who participate.

Thanks for any help.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One quick answer that I can give from my easy chair without trying to match your pictures to the under side of my tractor is that the grease fittings illustrated top left picture of the operators manual on p 96 are indeed not there. I took manual in hand to dealer and asked about them and he helpfully said "yours doesn't have them". :cool: I assume they are on the bigger 60's.

I have only done the " fill until it overflows from the breather" for one of those zirks, and I don't offhand recognize where you are for the other one. As for the function of the missing ones, I'll check wsm tomorrow for more info and get back to you if someone else doesn't chime in.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
One quick answer that I can give from my easy chair without trying to match your pictures to the under side of my tractor is that the grease fittings illustrated top left picture of the operators manual on p 96 are indeed not there. I took manual in hand to dealer and asked about them and he helpfully said "yours doesn't have them". :cool: I assume they are on the bigger 60's.

I have only done the " fill until it overflows from the breather" for one of those zirks, and I don't offhand recognize where you are for the other one. As for the function of the missing ones, I'll check wsm tomorrow for more info and get back to you if someone else doesn't chime in.

The second zert is in the 3rd picture. It's to the rear of the 1st zert / breather plug. It's behind the front axle in center of tractor.

Thanks for the help

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok now I am with you. The front zirk is indeed the one that you can fill until it overflows out the opening closed by the square plug on the opposite side of the front axle support.

The zirk to the rear in your 3d picture provides grease to the gears between the propellor shaft, which is running forward dividing the oil pan, and the "spiral bevel pinion shaft" which seems to drive some gears in the differential. The diagram is not terribly clear, and so hopefully someone who as taken this apart can clarify. There are some seals in this area so it might not be a good idea to put any more grease in there. I can't tell you where all that grease might have gone. As long as I was under my tractor I thought I'd put a couple of pumps of grease in, and I didn't see any come out anywhere.

As far as the missing zirks, that design goes for the 3560 and the 4060, and the diagram didn't help me understand how it worked.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Ok now I am with you. The front zirk is indeed the one that you can fill until it overflows out the opening closed by the square plug on the opposite side of the front axle support.

The zirk to the rear in your 3d picture provides grease to the gears between the propellor shaft, which is running forward dividing the oil pan, and the "spiral bevel pinion shaft" which seems to drive some gears in the differential. The diagram is not terribly clear, and so hopefully someone who as taken this apart can clarify. There are some seals in this area so it might not be a good idea to put any more grease in there. I can't tell you where all that grease might have gone. As long as I was under my tractor I thought I'd put a couple of pumps of grease in, and I didn't see any come out anywhere.

As far as the missing zirks, that design goes for the 3560 and the 4060, and the diagram didn't help me understand how it worked.

Thank you for the info, it makes sense.

DVoss

Equipment
L4150
Jun 24, 2016
Zimmerman, MN
The rear pivot has the driveshaft going into that. On my L4150, there is a shield that covers the driveshaft....I guess you could be pumping the grease past the seal and now you're filling the area under the shield with grease. I just remachined both those pivots on mine. There just isn't that much room for grease on either side...maybe a pump.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was at the local Kubota dealer this afternoon, so I ran the question of where did all the grease go past the techs, and their guess was the same as Dvoss, namely that it went between the shaft and the cover, no harm done.

I also asked about the mechanism of lubricating the "front wheel case support" on ours since there is no zirk, and it is all lubricated by the oil SUDT2 that is in the front axle case.

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
hello,

A proposition to get the grease everywhere where it should be:
Get a jack and lift the front end of the tractor up a couple of inches, otherwise the grease wont get all around the bushes.
A couple of full lever movements should do.
Regards
Robert

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My L3000 doesn't even have fittings on the front axle. On my M9000 I just put a couple shots in when I grease the reast of the machine and leave it at that. The axle doesn't move much so as long as you keep some grease in there I would think it should be fine.

DVoss

Equipment
L4150
Jun 24, 2016
Zimmerman, MN
The 1985 L4150 I've been working on had no provision to grease the axle pivots...the rear got a small amount of lube from leaking pinion seal....but the front? Major rust, major wear.

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
Reviving an old thread here. I just pumped maybe 1/2 tube in that grease zerk. Do you think there is any damage?

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
My L47 has the same set up, I got one of those lock-on grease gun fittings for that rear zerk after finding it about impossible to pump into it, which I did then get a small amount of grease to come out of that plug compared to the front one being easy and lots of grease. My maintenance section in the owner's manual appears to show grease to come out the plug for both zerks. My rear zerk is still very difficult to get grease into.