GR2120 Proper Break-in

Skaweee

Equipment
GR2120
Mar 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
Greetings! Proud new owner of a GR2120 here, and I want to be sure I handle the break-in period correctly. The owner’s manual says to change the engine oil and other lubricating oils after the first 50 hours of use. Easy enough and makes sense, though my dealer said to change the oil after the first 10 hours. Where I am confused is, at what speeds I should run the engine during those first 50 hours. The manual also says that “care should be taken to operate the machine for the first 50 hours at a slower speed and avoid excessive work until the various parts become broken in”. The manual also says that the throttle should be in the “fast” position for operation of the PTO/mowing deck. My overarching questions are:

1. Is it OK to operate my new GR2120 in a normal manner cutting my grass at full throttle during the first 50 hours of use? I’m not so sure the PTO should ever be engaged at anything but full throttle.

2. Is it really necessary or even advisable to change the oil after the first 10 hours as my dealer said?

Thanks for your time!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm gas or diesel engine, I see both are used......could make a difference.

re 1....I'd VARY the speed often ,once up to operating temperature. PTO should be engaged at LOW RPM not WOT !! Same as any 'engine', you never start and run WOT for hours....unless you're a car jockey at the dealership...

re 2. If the dealer wants it done at 10hrs HE can pay for it..... I actually had the dealer do mine at 55hrs(part of the purchase....) It's the most important one,figured if they screwed up ,they would pay...

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Run it like a farmer with a brand new combine! Engage PTO at idle and then pour the coal to it for cutting. Reduce to idle for a short period then disengage PTO, your equipment will thank you.

Reactions: 1 users

Lawngevity

Equipment
N/A.
Jul 13, 2022
Connecticut
I suggest moderate use, nothing excessive, especially for the first 10 hours. They do make break-in oil that has zinc (ZDDP) which you should use.