GR2110 possible fixer upper

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
So I stumbled onto a local person has a GR2110. Looks to be in really nice shape EXCEPT the trans is bad. How difficult is this unit to repair (it's an AWD model) and what usually goes haywire on them? Finally what might be a fair offer for it (he just wants it gone)? Or are there any things from it I can use on my G2160?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Unfortunately the trans is the high-dollar part of that tractor. A new HST unit is around $1500 PLUS installation - so when its all fixed it may not be worth what you have in it. The owner may have already been given a repair estimate so wants to bail on it.

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you can find a working transmission for a GR series for $1500, I'll buy a bunch of them and resell them!!

The last one I put in was over $4000 installed at the dealer. Mind you there was other labor involved for other items he wanted addressed but IIRC the trans itself was around $3300.

They are expensive to fix. They are weird. You gotta know them. IOW if you ain't had one apart, you're in for a real treat. The pto clutches were poor. The transmission itself was poor. The actual HST part of it never dies or at least I've never heard of it. It's always the PTO clutch, the axle bushings, the glide-steer clutches , the differential in that order of most to least common. When the axle bushings go south, the axles leak. "Most" of the time it takes out the housing too, and it's usually on the older units more than the newer ones. Then the housings. There is a channel that runs all through them, that is used to vent the transmission assembly, you have to be mindful of it, and where it's at, and what it does--if not, it'll puke oil out of it, knock the seals out, etc. Just a stupid design all around--and quite commonly is the #1 reason that GR series mowers get retired.

I absolutely love most of the rest of the mower other than it's slow, it's sure footed, cuts wonderful, sips fuel. But the transmission and it's expense to repair/replace are the ONLY reason I wouldn't own one; and I speak for many who feel the same. It is, a big step backwards from the G1800/G1900. If the G series had power steering, they would have been one of the most popular mowers ever. But I think the marketing dept saw that it was fast and since the ZT's were starting to gain popularity, the marketing team saw that the G1800/G1900 was stealing the show from the ZT's, so they replaced it. Might have been more to it, possibly costs rising, etc. I never know all that important stuff. I had a G1900 for a long time and I'd still have it if a man didn't offer me what he did for it. Money talks. But I had a Kommander, and like it, so I said yeah man, it's yours.

Reactions: 2 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Well thanks for the info. Is there anything useful from this machine I could scrounge for my 2160? Deck, engine, electrical stuff? Etc.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I am hoping someone with experience on both machines may know. Otherwise I really would never be able to read entire parts lists.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The engine-maybe.

Deck is different
frame different
hangers different
transmission completely different
fender different
hood different
wiring harness different
radiator different, but somewhat similar (IIRC)
all of the steering completely different
front axle totally different
drive shafts and propeller shafts all different
Rear wheels might interchange; front is different. Check the size of the rear tires. Also compare the wheel offsets.

basically the engine MIGHT work, assuming the RPM is the same between the two and mounting locations are the same, as well as the fuel shut off. Beyond that, the only similarity might be some bolts and nuts.