GR2020/2120 help

oledantucker

Apr 18, 2015
Westborough, MA, USA
I am in the market for a new lawn tractor to replace my 12 year old Toro. I will use it to mow about an acre of lawn, sometimes pull a 24 cubic foot cart loaded (reasonably) with dirt, stones, firewood, etc., and pull the occasional 600 lb lawn roller.

The cart loads and roller will not be towed up steep hills but will need to deal with a few modest slopes. There is one fairly steep hill that I might like to get to the top of now and then for firewood. I've driven the Toro up it but I wouldn't want to take it down again with a loaded cart.

Mainly this will be for mowing. My requirements are power steering (for my seventh decade), a deck with blower assist (for leaves in the fall), reliability, and durability. Also, to be honest, it's a toy...

I've narrowed it down to the John Deere x590 and the Kubota GR2020 or GR2120, all with 48" deck. I've been to dealers and driven the x590 and the GR2120, both nice. The dealer pricing is $10,200 for the GR2120 with bagger and $9,300 for the GR2020/bagger. Local JD dealers are not currently discounting so the x590 with bagger would be $9,200. So with the prices in the same ballpark I'm leaning towards the Kubota because of AWD (plus 0% financing which JD isn't offering either).

I see very few GR2020s mentioned online, mostly GR2120s. Why is that? Also, I can't find much of a description of the engine on the GR2020. Is it EFI, does anyone know?

I could go for the diesel if in ten years it will be the better tractor in terms of resale value or continued use. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
ODT

Ketch

Equipment
Gr2120
Sep 7, 2013
HATFIELD
I am in the market for a new lawn tractor to replace my 12 year old Toro. I will use it to mow about an acre of lawn, sometimes pull a 24 cubic foot cart loaded (reasonably) with dirt, stones, firewood, etc., and pull the occasional 600 lb lawn roller.

The cart loads and roller will not be towed up steep hills but will need to deal with a few modest slopes. There is one fairly steep hill that I might like to get to the top of now and then for firewood. I've driven the Toro up it but I wouldn't want to take it down again with a loaded cart.

Mainly this will be for mowing. My requirements are power steering (for my seventh decade), a deck with blower assist (for leaves in the fall), reliability, and durability. Also, to be honest, it's a toy...

I've narrowed it down to the John Deere x590 and the Kubota GR2020 or GR2120, all with 48" deck. I've been to dealers and driven the x590 and the GR2120, both nice. The dealer pricing is $10,200 for the GR2120 with bagger and $9,300 for the GR2020/bagger. Local JD dealers are not currently discounting so the x590 with bagger would be $9,200. So with the prices in the same ballpark I'm leaning towards the Kubota because of AWD (plus 0% financing which JD isn't offering either).

I see very few GR2020s mentioned online, mostly GR2120s. Why is that? Also, I can't find much of a description of the engine on the GR2020. Is it EFI, does anyone know?

I could go for the diesel if in ten years it will be the better tractor in terms of resale value or continued use. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
ODT
Hi ODT

We made the jump from a Toro (actually a Toro painted blue....Ford New Holland) to the 2120 about 2 years ago. It was a big step up in quality from the Toro / Ford New Holland, don't get me wrong the New Holland was a good machine, but the 2120 is a very nice machine. Feels more like a tractor compared to a lawn mower. We use to have an old Cub Cadet that my parents bought in the 60's built like a tank, but it finally needed replacement and that's when we bought the New Holland. The 2120 reminds us of the solid heavy duty quality of the old Cub Cadet.

It's our first experience with a diesel and we are impressed by the difference in power and fuel consumption. I was a little concerned about starting in the winter as we also use it for clearing a long driveway with a snow blower attachment. No problems at all! We love the four wheel drive, no need for tire chains in winter and you can pretty much go where you want to go. The only down side that I notice is the deck doesn't seem to give as even a cut as the New Holland did, maybe I just need to adjust it better.

Sorry I can't speak much on the gas engine, whether it's EFI or not. But when shopping for ours we asked a lot of questions about the diesel and everyone we spoke with said it was pretty much bullet proof. I looked at the listing for used units to see how many hours they had on them, just to get some idea of how long they would last. I was impressed at how long the diesels lasted, so we opted for it, and have been very happy with the choice.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Ketch

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I got the 2120. Diesel engine, 4 wheel drive, power steering, shaft drive to mower deck or blower, smooth and powerfull. Nothing at all bad to say about it. (And yes.. i had looked at the 5series Deer's. Even bought one and had trouble with it before the dealer made it back to the store, after dropping it off at my place. Had them come get it, give me my money back and went back to Kubota where i had bought 2 tractors from previously) I recommend the GR over the Deer.

The 2120 has the diesel and a 54 inch deck is optional. That diesel sipps fuel! I go forever on a tank!
http://www.kubota.com/assets/product/comps/GR2020/GR2020_2120comp.pdf

Last edited: