GPS Theft Protection

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I read some of this thread in the beginning, but admit I ran out of steam in the interim.

BUT I keep seeing the thread title and realized that a GPS device offers no theft protection at all.

Just the possibility of finding/tracking the item after the theft.

SO if theft protection is the goal, I think a different approach would be warranted.

Forget the GPS idea, and figure out some actual preventive measures, at least this would be what I would do.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I just added one to my mini. It took a while to think of the best spot, but here is an idea for anyone interested. I have a nice little flasher on the roof of the mini. I took it apart and installed and powered the unit inside the bubble and there is no way to see it or know it is there. It sits at the very top of the machine behind plastic only and has power for charging anytime I turn the light on.

The next time I need to do the battery on the one in the front tire of the tractor, I'll move it up to the inside of my ROPS/Canopy and power it there.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
After thinking about it, I kind of like the idea to insure your equipment against theft properly, and rest easy.

All the other options, while they may save a buck, really offer no guarantee of success if the equipment is stolen.

Just seems like insuring your equipment will ensure you are protected worst case, without any further risk.

Cheapest approach? Certainly not.

Granted, after your first loss, you may not be able to afford the insurance anymore...

I am SO GLAD I don't have this worry, since I live within a hundred feet of where my stuff is stored.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
This thread has been an interesting read but to me it's just another reason I store all my "stuff" indoors and have the property covered with camera's.
My backup is a good insurance policy....

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
This thread has been an interesting read but to me it's just another reason I store all my "stuff" indoors and have the property covered with camera's.
My backup is a good insurance policy....
I agree, lots of good info. My backup is a semi automatic insurance policy.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you normally have a 'looks real to me tosser' you 'donate' to the situation.... ;)
I was told this bit of wisdom from a very high ranking cop ,decades ago

reminds me my semiauto shotgun still can go fullyauto.....

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I don't know about you guys but, I have a SUBSTANCIAL investment in my equipment! Between tractor, mini excavator and trailer, I have a crap load of money involved. Theft in this country is at an all time high while arrests and prosecutions are at an all time low. We all know the current state of affairs in the legal system that really hand cuffs Law Enforcement. I'd like to try to protect my investment against theft or, if stolen, I'd like to be able to go get it back! I've looked at some of the GPS tracking devices and I generally like what I see. The problem is I cant find exactly what I'm looking for.
I want a compact GPS device with both internal battery and vehicle power so that if the item is stolen and the battery is disconnected, it will still track for a decent amount of time.
I want it compact enough to hide well so as not to be found by the thief.
I don't want it to be OBD operated since there is no OBD on any of my equipment.
I don't want to have to pay a large sum of money monthly for it to operate.
I don't need it to tell me things like when my next service is due or how fast its going. Just simple accurate location.
I started this thread because I don't believe I'm the only one who wants these things. My hope is that collectively, we can find a system that will work for us.

What say you all?
Don’t disagree…if financed through Kubota you have a dew years of coverage if as good as they claim for the machine…trailer you are on your own though. If someone wants something bad enough they will get it. That’s reality. You don’t have to make it easy though. I keep a fairly expensive lock on the trailer(Reese lock pin is not enough) however I suspect some with a cordless sawzall and minimal patience can outsmart it…but they have to try. Machine itself…OEM keys are not anything special…you can get a secondary ignition, not too expensive and unless the a-hole(don’t sensor me that’s what people are who don’t respect private property) brings a jumper they have to risk a second trip. Be nice to your neighbors and have some open topic about what to do if you see strange vehicle in each other’s drive. Do they know and trust you? Do they know your schedule and when you are away? Nothing wrong with being a good neighbor (but don’t be too nosey) Make a plan/agreement. I am serious. It’s easy to block a driveway and send a text to the neighbor to make sure. But make an agreement in advance.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank you sir. I agree that is the world we live in. My point is that we need to change the world we live in and to DEMAND respect for personal property and well being. Its certain the courts wont do it. If someone steals from me or otherwise does me or mine physical or financial harm, I want them punished for that harm. If I cant find them then, no punishment will be executed. I want to find them.
Yep…if you have read some of my posts, then you know I would not trade 10 relatives for my dog. Get one and put a dog door / dog run in so dog can go in and out of the barn. I am partial to GSDs myself. Train it…it’s fun. Watch a video of the clown in the gear run and the GSD take the person off their feet….that’s fun too. That dog gives you enough time to stretch, do some yoga and cycle the bolt. Ask yourself what grandad would do…Make grandpa proud. Those are words to live by. Dogs are great judges of character…if they don’t like someone…let them not like them. It’s that simple.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
This is not an issue where I reside.
How big an issue is this ? Specific to makes and models ?
Chop shop for hard to get parts ? Black market for larger tractors ?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not sure where in NY you are but a simple search turned this up…

In general I don’t believe theft on farms is uncommon. From gas, to tools, to equipment, atvs etc. in city areas there’s an much higher density of people (should also mean higher chance of being seen) lot of people I work with who claim anything form bikes to hand tools stolen from their garage if they leave door open…If you have a swap meet or flea market close beware. I don’t know how common to your question but not uncommon. Locks keep honest people honest. Others require a little more deterent.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hanover is a ways north. If I want crime I can drive 20 minutes to the City of Hudson. Found nice article.

Never knew this was such a problem.

I will stand by my statement that this is not an issue where I live. I will consider myself blessed.
I am not sure I call that north…seems more that it’s definitely east. I spend a lot of time up north of there near stony creek hunting. I believe near Corinth off 9. Up by sacandaga…Great pizza place up there called Rocco’s… don’t drive through without stopping at Rocco’s. We don’t have pizza like that in Ohio. Beautiful part of the world.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I am not sure I call that north…seems more that it’s definitely east.
Not to change subject but go east from my driveway and you hit Livingston , Clermont, Germantown and the Hudson River. But you will see at least 20 tractors and/or excavating equipment out in the fields or sitting next to barns.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not to change subject but go east from my driveway and you hit Livingston , Clermont, Germantown and the Hudson River. But you will see at least 20 tractors and/or excavating equipment out in the fields or sitting next to barns.
As soon as I read 9 and Hudson only thing I am thinking about rest of weekend is Rocco’s pizza. Your post reads like Charlie browns teacher. 😂

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Does anyone know if Kubota stamps the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into any part of the Kubota tractors? I know that the foil labels are easy to take off and once they are gone, it makes identification much more difficult.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Does anyone know if Kubota stamps the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into any part of the Kubota tractors? I know that the foil labels are easy to take off and once they are gone, it makes identification much more difficult.
My new LX does but it also has a 17 digit vin