Got the l1500 running today!

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Well with everyone's help on the forums got the l1500 running again today. I've had it for maybe 3 months working on it and no seat time except parking it on back of house and tarped while I worked on it.

Rebuilt steering and painted box and shift covers.
New alternator
New hydraulic fluid and filter
New fuel filter
New reverse gear
New decomp wire
New oil and filter
New shifter knob
Cleaned it up a little
Greased zerks I could find
Bled fuel lines

Off to the races!

Still learning what gears to use but happy so far!

Man this thing is loud! It's got a short stack on it. Anything I can do to quiet her a little? Haha

Next to get the tach working. Haven't checked to see if it is motor or tach yet but will check tomorrow. Can't remember if it was working when I bought it but thought so!

Oil light comes on at idle but guess that's normal? Thanks all for the help!

- mike

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
So glad to hear that you got that baby running, you will enjoy it. I love mine. Such a simple machine lots of torque. A great accompaniment unless you have lots of acreage, then you might want something bigger. But mine suits me just fine.

Definitely would not mind seeing some photos. :)

Reactions: 1 user

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
A great accompaniment unless you have lots of acreage, then you might want something bigger. But mine suits me just fine.

Definitely would not mind seeing some photos. :)
Yea just 5 acres so will do fine i think. Wish it had a loader but I was on a budget and this had a finish mower, blade, and beat up bush hog in my budget. This winter maybe will start painting it if I can get a garage up.

She ain't pretty yet but will post some more pics.

- Mike

Reactions: 1 user

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
A glass pack muffler may help.

I see the tractors used by Parks and Recreation around here have them,
A trip to the high school or community college Vo Tec shop may get it welded together for free...

A little barbecue paint, presto...

Look on Cherry Bomb's web site, the list a number with 12 inch bodies, 8 inch muffler, with 2 inch pipes.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yea just 5 acres so will do fine i think. Wish it had a loader but I was on a budget and this had a finish mower, blade, and beat up bush hog in my budget. This winter maybe will start painting it if I can get a garage up.

She ain't pretty yet but will post some more pics.

- Mike
Mike
I don't know this model of Kubota but since you are posting in the Gray section, I am assuming it is a Kubota designed for an Asian market with some features different than North American models but still with the Kubota quality.

Do you know if your tractor has the North American pto rotation, in other words, standing at the rear of the tractor and looking at the pto shaft, it should turn Clockwise.

I mention it only because you stated it came with a rear mounted mower and you need to be certain it is being rotated in the correct direction.

Dave M7040

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Dave, as far as I know. The only one that spins bass akwards, is the b6000. The rest have standard rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Hi Dave. Pto runs clockwise on the 1500. Woods mower cuts with it.

Here are some pictures.

Someone had a bad day on her. Big dent in front bumper that definitely took some force.

I cut a path through to my bush hog so I can start getting it going with the finish mower

And now some of the bad news. I took the tach cable off the engine and spun it with my fingers and the tach moves. Nothing in the hole on the engine moves.

Worst news. The oil light comes on at idle. Giving her just a touch of throttle silences it. After running her a bit she wants even more throttle to keep the light off. Doesn't seem good to me.

An injector is leaking. Hopefully just need to tighten. I think I did this when i cracked the injectors to bleed which I'm pretty sure I probably didn't need to do. Should have read the manual first.

And I can't keep a ball on and have an implement on due to clearance but that is small potatoes.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The ball mount may actually be to mount the draw bar into. My L185 has a rectangular bar that actually pins through a mount something like what you show.

The front probably got bent by someone trying to push a tree down or something like that. It can be straightened out with a smaller size jack. An old scissor jack may fit in while on the tractor. If you remove it from the tractor a small floor jack will fit if you remove the front wheels from the jack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Look at the positive. If the tach is working when you spin the cable that means the expensive part is OK.

Post a picture please of where the cable connects to the engine, likely the injection pump.

Concerning the oil light coming on. I would get the right quantity of the right grade oil. I would drain the existing oil and determine if the same quantity has come out compared to the new you will be putting in. The intent is to make certain the crankcase oil is not contaminated with diesel fuel or possibly antifreeze.

Get a real pressure gauge and either connect it into the engine where the oil light switch is or install a Tee so you have both the pressure gauge and the light. You don't need an expensive gauge as this is just a test not a permanent install. A gauge like is used on a water pump for a home will work. 0 to 60 psi. You want to be certain the light is not misleading you.

See notes on this image re injector leaks.

Dave M7040

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Russell king. You are probably right about the tree. Seems very plausible and good idea to straighten it out. I have a little trolley jack that will probably work well for that.

Dave_eng. I'll post you a picture in the am. It attaches bottom right side very front of engine.

I drained all oil and replaced filter. Oil looked "good" I drained (not contaminated) I put in 10w30 Delco 400. 10w30 was on the cap. After a little research seems 5w30 might be a better choice. Either way radiator is full. Only a little white smoke on startup then no smoke at all.

I'm not an engine guy yet but i remember someone mentioned it meant cams were worn or something another. I'll start looking at getting that pressure gauge installed. Pretty sure the sending unit is on/off. Doesn't indicate actual pressure so from reading other posts I'll hook in where sending unit is. Regarding the injectors maybe I damaged those lines when I was turning the injectors. Will check on them tomorrow and see if I have some spare fuel line around here. Definitely know I don't have clamps that small.

Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Look at the positive. If the tach is working when you spin the cable that means the expensive part is OK.
Dave M7040
More than likely your problem is here....

And unfortunately that is an expensive part if you can find it,
but possibly repairable.......

Here are a few of threads on this issue

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8012&highlight=tach+repair

http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/view_all.cgi?bd=kubota&msg=9254

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Go to the Gray section of this forum and look for a B5000 post at or near the top by KOHLMAN.

He is talking about selling his machine part by part.

Don't know if the part you need would be the same on his engine.

He needs and cannot find a cylinder head.

Dave M7040

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Thanks all. From the other posts I can't tell what kind of mechanism I'm getting in to. Is there a chance I mess with timing taking this part off? Not sure I'm going to understand what is broke until I take that cover off.

Hard to tell how it goes together from the parts list.

Might be next weekend until I have time to dig into it again.

- Mike

jkk04

Equipment
kubota l1500, JD 410 backhoe,MF 30 tractor, IH TD14 142, BCS 715 tiller
Jan 9, 2017
PLYMOUTH CA
Hi, Mike
Glad to see your little tractor running again.
Couple things I like to share with you and all members here.

1) engine oil warning light on problem.

I replaced complete oil filter assembly from canister to spin filter assembly(bought from e bay) then resolved the low idle oil warning light on.(I was assuming the check valve control the engine oil flow)in the assembly was not function correctly)

2) the injector leaking problem.

Replaced fuel returning hose to rubber hose with clamps.
no more leaking any fuel.

3)tech meter is not working problem.

disassembled cable housing on front engine then discovered the end of tip was broken. added some tip with welding machine and grinded to make sharp tip like flat screw driver must be correct length and wide(cable and meter self weren't any problem)
Now, it works perfect.

I had coolant overflow problem whenever running the the tractor for some period time so added home made overflow container(used spray bottle). works perfect meaning no more overflow the coolant.

Hope to help you little.
Jkk

Attachments

Last edited:

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Jkk, thanks that is very good info! Did you have similar symptoms as me with oil light? I did research the spin on adapter but the oil filter assembly was set for certain psi relief? Or something along those lines. Been a while since I read up on it and I was worried about adjusting something that was set for a certain psi. Ill definitely go research it a bit more. The spin on filters will definitely be cheaper in the long run! Gosh just looked up in the manual. It says right here to replace it!

I definitely tweaked the return lines on the injectors. Going to replace them as soon as I go back into town.

Definitely going to implement your overflow idea as well. I haven't replaced the coolant yet but when fall rolls around will definitely get that some.

Thanks for your time. Much appreciated. Not sure she'd be running without everyone's help!

-Mike