Goose Neck Hitch

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Now that I am the proud parent of an 88 Chevy one ton turd. I am looking for an affordable goose neck hitch to place in the bed. I was glancing over the National Trailer Supply website and I got kinda confused looking at it. I'm looking basic inexpensive hitch and not really sure what to get. My dad just had one installed on his GMC diesel and I think 800 bucks is a tad steep for a hitch. I think he said the bill broke down to 400 dollars for the goose neck hitch and 400 dollars to install. I believe he has a B&W hitch installed which I hear is top of the line.

Any idea's or a point in the right direction would be nice!

Thanks,
Eric

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Congrat's on the new turd!

Just wondering why you are going goose neck. Around here goose necks are for live stock trailers and the 5th wheel type is everything else. I know from looking around in the past the 5th wheel type will run about a grand when complete so goose neck isn't probably too far behind in the $$'s.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Congrats on the Chevy Eric. You may be able to find something used on craigslist or kijiji . A goose neck hitch can actually be a flip over type or one hidden beneath the box floor with a plate on top. This makes the whole box available when you are not hauling the trailer. Let us know what you find Eric.:cool: Dusty P.S. This is something you can install yourself if you have a mind to.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well Scott to answer your question. Dad took a pintle hitch tag along trailer and had it converted over to a goose neck, which to me was a perfectly good trailer to begin with. So I figured if I want to used the trailer with my one ton I'll need a goose neck hook to haul with. Oh and for me 5th wheel is what I've got on my Freightliner at work so I dont need to haul around anything that damn big on my days off! LOL

Thanks Dusty,
I knew what a goos neck hitch is but I was looking for a place online to purchase one cheap. The web site links here on OTT about the hitches kinda confused the hell out of me because you have to buy the hitch then buy the mounting bracket seperate. WHY they sell the whole ordeal seperate like that doesnt make a damn bit of sense. Neither one is good without the other!

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
The explanation was more for Scott than you. But I am serious about going used. A lot of people buy a used truck and don't want or don't need the hitch that is in it.:D Dusty Or better yet google home built goose neck hitch.

Last edited:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Eric, I build a home-made goose neck hitch of my family's 91 Ford 1-ton using scrap 1/2" plate and piece of 3" X 2" rect. tubing w/ 1/4" wall thickness. I welded the plate to the ends of the tubing and then bolted the plate to the frame rails. I cut a 12" square trap door in the bed of the truck that exposed the 2 5/16" ball and is closed when not towing the trailer. That allows for a flat bed (except for the hinges) when towing isn't needed. The most expensive part was the ball which had the longest 1 1/4" shank available. It is still on the truck and was used to regularly pull a 35' - 20,000 lb dual tandum trailer that was overloaded several times. I went by to old saying "when in doubt, build it stout!". Hope this helps.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Thanks Dusty....

My aunt has a horse ranch and has a collection of goose neck trailers. Her truck bed has the ball that rotates when not in use and enables her to have full use of the truck bed. Kinda slick but very expensive.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Good point you have Dusty, never thought about looking for a used one. I figured it would be a headache to find a hitch to match up my year and model truck so the brackets will fit the bed rail.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Just had another idea Eric. Check the wrecking yards. Automotive Recyclers is what they call them these days. Ya never know. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
WHY they sell the whole ordeal seperate like that doesnt make a damn bit of sense. Neither one is good without the other!

For those hitches that have a high duty cycle some parts are going to wear out. When it is time to replace the worn parts it is nice to just get parts and not have to buy the whole thing.

Congrats on the Chevy but I don't understand the turd part. :confused:
I got my 06 Chevy with a Curt Mfgr 30,000LB gooseneck "hide a ball" system already in the truck. There are two levers in the driver side wheel well that pull to drop the ball below the bed for full use of the truck bed, then just pull the levers and the ball pops back up for towing. Pretty cool.
The Curt products are competitive priced so check on a dealer or distributor in you area with a good price.

My computer got a trojan so I can't post up pics now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The "turd" part I'm refering to is the truck is a 1988. It's on its third motor put in the truck and has a real fugly whatever white paint was around dad put on it paint job! And I mean what ever white paint was around, either from a spray can, brush or rolled on! I'm not sure but I think it has like 6 or 8 differnt shades of white on there since pops and I are both color blind!

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
The "turd" part I'm refering to is the truck is a 1988. It's on its third motor put in the truck and has a real fugly whatever white paint was around dad put on it paint job!

Cool, she takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. :D :D :D :D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Well the good news is, I checked with a buddy of mine who happens to be a mechanic at a local RV dealership and asked him to keep an eye open for a gooseneck hitch. Low and behold he calls me this morning and said he might have all the parts and pieces to pile together for me and get me a goose neck hitch to fit my truck for FREE! Gotta love friends in low places! LOL. Never thought a recerational vehical dealership would have had a goose neck hitch laying around the shop since I've never seen a camper trailer require one other then the 5th wheel hook up!

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
B&W gooseneck hitch!! I wouldnt buy anything else! You're looking at around 380 for one shipped. You wont have any bed rails to contend with in the bed if your truck when your loading and unloading materials.

just my .02

Ian

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I have this gooseneck system from Curt MFG. It is 30,000 LBS rated and the ball drops out of the bed and a cover goes over the hole so the bed can be used with no hinderances. Just pull the lock lever and then pull the ball lever and move the ball up or down. Pretty cool !! :D

Attachments