Good for a laugh

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Jeremy, I can't find the beer hidden in that first picture??? Welcome to the "Club". You're not alone!!

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Its supposed to get back down to 29* this coming weekend.

I was thinking about getting a winch that I could use in the future.
That is what I use. A winch installed on a receiver mount. Ran 0/0 cable to Anderson Plugs next to the receivers. Two minutes to install on what needs it.
I can install the winch on the tractor or my pickup. Good for pulling trees when cutting to make sure they go close to where I want and it gets me unstuck (4 times and counting!). I have a Warn with a wireless remote, good for (a safe) 90' distance.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you drive off-road long enough getting stuck is more a matter of when than if. Which is why everyone really needs at least two good tractors.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So it was 71* last Saturday and with the rain/snow melting my yard was pretty soft. I figured it was good conditions to roll it. I still had the turf tires on the BX2200, but thought to myself "It'll be fine".....

Well, obviously it wasn't. I was rolling along fine and then hit an extra soft spot and sunk. Tried to get out, but all it did was make trenches and eventually dig deeper and deeper. I could pull myself along with the FEL, but couldn't get the tires out of the ruts.

So then I decided I would pull it out with my Excursion. Pulled around back on semi firm ground with no issue, but my chain wasnt long enough. rolled forward 10 feet and the Excursion sank too.......clear up to the axle.

Ended up having a tow truck winch out the Excursion. I I was able to use a come along to get the BX up on 2x12's, but it would get stuck the second it rolled off them.

Left it there for a few days to let it dry out a little. Then I swapped out the turf tires for my AG ones. Was able to drive right out. Still left some shallow ruts, but didnt lose traction or spin the tires.

So the lesson is.......If you are feeling lazy and think "It'll be fine", it probably won't. Enjoy the pics. Hope ya'll get a good chuckle at it.

Both Stuck
View attachment 76271

Ruts from the tractor.
View attachment 76269

Ruts from winching out the Excursion
View attachment 76270

Tractor up on boards
View attachment 76272

Finally Free
View attachment 76273
Now you have some more lawn areas to roll.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
That is what I use. A winch installed on a receiver mount. Ran 0/0 cable to Anderson Plugs next to the receivers. Two minutes to install on what needs it.
I can install the winch on the tractor or my pickup. Good for pulling trees when cutting to make sure they go close to where I want and it gets me unstuck (4 times and counting!). I have a Warn with a wireless remote, good for (a safe) 90' distance.
That is the setup I was looking at. I liked the idea of the hitch receiver allowing it to be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily when needed

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
That is the setup I was looking at. I liked the idea of the hitch receiver allowing it to be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily when needed
This is my setup.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
This is my setup.
That is the same kind of setup I was thinking. For using it, did you upgrade the battery or charging system on your BX?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
So it was 71* last Saturday and with the rain/snow melting my yard was pretty soft. I figured it was good conditions to roll it. I still had the turf tires on the BX2200, but thought to myself "It'll be fine".....

Well, obviously it wasn't. I was rolling along fine and then hit an extra soft spot and sunk. Tried to get out, but all it did was make trenches and eventually dig deeper and deeper. I could pull myself along with the FEL, but couldn't get the tires out of the ruts.

So then I decided I would pull it out with my Excursion. Pulled around back on semi firm ground with no issue, but my chain wasnt long enough. rolled forward 10 feet and the Excursion sank too.......clear up to the axle.

Ended up having a tow truck winch out the Excursion. I I was able to use a come along to get the BX up on 2x12's, but it would get stuck the second it rolled off them.

Left it there for a few days to let it dry out a little. Then I swapped out the turf tires for my AG ones. Was able to drive right out. Still left some shallow ruts, but didnt lose traction or spin the tires.

So the lesson is.......If you are feeling lazy and think "It'll be fine", it probably won't. Enjoy the pics. Hope ya'll get a good chuckle at it.

Both Stuck
View attachment 76271

Ruts from the tractor.
View attachment 76269

Ruts from winching out the Excursion
View attachment 76270

Tractor up on boards
View attachment 76272

Finally Free
View attachment 76273
Hope you're enjoying feeding the rescue battleship.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
That is the same kind of setup I was thinking. For using it, did you upgrade the battery or charging system on your BX?
Nope, no changes. I do keep the tractor running at a 'fast' idle. Make sure the fan belt is in good shape and properly tightened. I'd upgrade the alternator possibly but, I doubt I could fit anything larger under the hood. No room for a larger battery unless I went to a second externally mounted one but to date, I've have no need.
Keep in mind, the winch I have is twice as strong as the weight of the tractor. So the winch is easily capable of dragging the tractor with the wheels not rotating. It is not like we are extreme 4X4 where they lift a Jeep up a canyon wall.
The thing about most 'winching operations' is actual loaded winch run time is very short and often, intermittent, which gives the charging system a chance to recover the battery.
Once, I had to pull a tree out of my pond, mired in muck! I used a few pulleys to multiply the power (the tractor was getting dragged!) Getting the tree out took a couple of hours. The winch motor got hot enough to burn my hand!
Mot winching operations I do are when felling trees by myself. I'll get a rope on the tree, winch it the direction I want the tree to go, start my cut, stop, apply some more tension, cut and apply more tenson and the tree falls. I usually use a pulley on another tree so the tractor is not in the line of the fall and in a safe spot.
When I've used the winch to get unstuck, I'll use the remote control, sitting on the seat of the tractor and while the winch is pulling, I'll try to match it with the HST so the wheels are trying to help, working together. I'll watch the winch cable and when it goes slack, I'll know I am finally 'unstuck'. Until I get stuck again...

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Nope, no changes. I do keep the tractor running at a 'fast' idle. Make sure the fan belt is in good shape and properly tightened. I'd upgrade the alternator possibly but, I doubt I could fit anything larger under the hood. No room for a larger battery unless I went to a second externally mounted one but to date, I've have no need.
Keep in mind, the winch I have is twice as strong as the weight of the tractor. So the winch is easily capable of dragging the tractor with the wheels not rotating. It is not like we are extreme 4X4 where they lift a Jeep up a canyon wall.
The thing about most 'winching operations' is actual loaded winch run time is very short and often, intermittent, which gives the charging system a chance to recover the battery.
Once, I had to pull a tree out of my pond, mired in muck! I used a few pulleys to multiply the power (the tractor was getting dragged!) Getting the tree out took a couple of hours. The winch motor got hot enough to burn my hand!
Mot winching operations I do are when felling trees by myself. I'll get a rope on the tree, winch it the direction I want the tree to go, start my cut, stop, apply some more tension, cut and apply more tenson and the tree falls. I usually use a pulley on another tree so the tractor is not in the line of the fall and in a safe spot.
When I've used the winch to get unstuck, I'll use the remote control, sitting on the seat of the tractor and while the winch is pulling, I'll try to match it with the HST so the wheels are trying to help, working together. I'll watch the winch cable and when it goes slack, I'll know I am finally 'unstuck'. Until I get stuck again...
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about what size winch I would want to get. A smaller one would be fine for my BX, but I am also thinking about how I would use it on my vehicle (Excursion).

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for the info. I was just thinking about what size winch I would want to get. A smaller one would be fine for my BX, but I am also thinking about how I would use it on my vehicle (Excursion).
I selected the Warn because of the wireless remote. Certainly more winch than I need but it was the smallest Warn (4700#) offered at the time with wireless capability.
Smaller is also lighter (probably less current draw across the board too) and carriyng it to slide into the receiver requires a little forethought. No idea what winches are being offered today.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jeremy, don't beat yourself up too bad! Every experience has value if you or anyone else can learn from it. That is where "common sense" is developed. Nothing broke, no one injured, something learned.....that's what life is. :)

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Jeremy, don't beat yourself up too bad! Every experience has value if you or anyone else can learn from it. That is where "common sense" is developed. Nothing broke, no one injured, something learned.....that's what life is. :)
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not too upset about it. If I got mad or beat myself up for every stupid thing I did I would be pissed all the time......:)

I learned some stuff and got to work outside all day.......and I figured some others might get a chuckle out of it.

Plus now I can honestly tell the wife "See, I really do NEED to buy a winch setup".

Reactions: 3 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you are going to own a winch, you should also have a snatch block to double or even triple the pulling power of the winch. Also, a long chain wrapped around a tree to hold the tractor helps a lot.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A winch may…..or may not…. be helpful…
I bought a 12K winch to pull my compactor-roller out …and never used it. My tractor couldn’t pull it out, so I thought I’d make a receiver-hitch winch-installation that I could move between the truck, the tractor, the roller…whatever.
I bought all the “stuff” and never used it. Sold it all to my neighbor at a discount while it was still new-in-the-box.
I learned instead to quit trying to roll turf within 3 days of the last rain. Problem solved. (after 3 times being stuck for days on end.… chalk it up to being a slow-learner on that thing)
18C31C92-FB18-411F-AB33-9C38CF7FD943.jpeg

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
A winch may…..or may not…. be helpful…
I bought a 12K winch to pull my compactor-roller out …and never used it. My tractor couldn’t pull it out, so I thought I’d make a receiver-hitch winch-installation that I could move between the truck, the tractor, the roller…whatever.
I bought all the “stuff” and never used it. Sold it all to my neighbor at a discount while it was still new-in-the-box.
I learned instead to quit trying to roll turf within 3 days of the last rain. Problem solved. (after 3 times being stuck for days on end.… chalk it up to being a slow-learner on that thing)
View attachment 76367
That looks like it weighs quite a bit