golf cart roof & mosquito netting

WRMorrison

Equipment
L3901
May 29, 2020
Ramsey, IL
I finally got around to installing the golf cart roof that I picked up a few weeks ago. The mount is made from 3/16" tread plate, some square tubing that I split in half (to "grab" onto the ROPS) and some 1" square tubing. It's overbuilt, but it was free material. It's not shown in some of the pics, but the mount is secured to the ROPS with (4) u-bolts. Total cost is around $80.

The last picture shows some mosquito netting that I've draped over it. It's rectangular in shape (made to hang over a cot while camping), and fits over the roof pretty well. I'm hoping that it'll keep most of the wasps, yellow jackets and bald-faced hornets off of me while mowing...they're bad this year. Everybody has their phobia(s), and mine is those things. I know that they can still get in the "cab" by my legs and under the seat, but I hope they're not that smart.

Anybody else done anything similar before to keep the bugs out? Save the, "buy a tractor with a cab" comments; I'm not spending an additional $10K.

Next up, as soon as I find the time, is to install the 12V misting system I bought. I'll mount it under the roof on the steel mount, and hopefully it'll keep me a little cooler in the heat.

-WRM

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I like the "out of the box" thinking with the netting. I hope that works out without getting caught on every limb or tall weeds.

Might buy a second net and sew them together in order to close off the "cab". Get some magnets and hot glue the netting to them to hold the net in place without altering the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make 1000% sure that the netting can never get caught up in the PTO, there has been many a case of bad situations from things like that!

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I like the "out of the box" thinking with the netting. I hope that works out without getting caught on every limb or tall weeds.

Might buy a second net and sew them together in order to close off the "cab". Get some magnets and hot glue the netting to them to hold the net in place without altering the tractor.
10-4 on the second net. My worry would be having bugs enter the bottom and not be able to find an exit.

WRMorrison

Equipment
L3901
May 29, 2020
Ramsey, IL
I already have a 2nd net (for the possibility of sewing them together), but I'm not sure I'll need to try it this year. I've used the netting twice, and while it does work, it's a bit of a pain in the neck. I definitely need some strong magnets to hold the netting in place on the hood and both fenders. Even a light breeze pushes it around.

-WRM

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Have you considered a bee suit? Bought one online for about $10. Keeps them off the face, white suit keeps sun off you. Probably still too hot. But a thought. Of course, you'd look pretty silly, I only use mine when poisoning a wasp nest. And even then, one time it didn't work so well and they stung me anyway. I'm kinda allergic to wasps, so that was a bad week.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Great idea! Where I live it gets HOT in the summer and I happen to have a golf cart top.
Thanks for the idea........