Going to get either L2501 or L3301

momule1572

Equipment
none yet
Jul 8, 2016
Eureka, MO
Hello all. I am going to be running AG tires since I live on a big hill, a loader, bucket, and a bh77 backhoe. I don't have any immediate plans to use the three point hitch or PTO and have no grass to cut. The price difference between the 2501 and 3301 is $2225.00. I understand both tractors have many virtues. I could easily live with 25 horsepower and the 3301 is at the top of my budget. Thoughts?

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Hello all. I am going to be running AG tires since I live on a big hill, a loader, bucket, and a bh77 backhoe. I don't have any immediate plans to use the three point hitch or PTO and have no grass to cut. The price difference between the 2501 and 3301 is $2225.00. I understand both tractors have many virtues. I could easily live with 25 horsepower and the 3301 is at the top of my budget. Thoughts?
I faced the same decision about a year ago. I chose the L2501, not because of the price but because I did not want the DPF filter problems. So far I have not regretted my choice.

Reactions: 1 user

momule1572

Equipment
none yet
Jul 8, 2016
Eureka, MO
I faced the same decision about a year ago. I chose the L2501, not because of the price but because I did not want the DPF filter problems. So far I have not regretted my choice.
Thanks! Do you recall what the price difference was? I am almost there. The dealer with the 2501 is a little lethargic.

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Thanks! Do you recall what the price difference was? I am almost there. The dealer with the 2501 is a little lethargic.
My L2501 HST with FEL HST and R4 fluid filled tires and a 5 ft landpride rotary cutter was $20,080.00 delivered. I think now Kubota has a better rebate and warranty than I got a year ago. The L3301 was about $2,000 more and if it were not for the DPF, I would have bought the L3901 which was not a lot more than the L3301.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
All standard L series tractors are fine! I would not be afraid of the DPF systems. Except the B3350. I currently have 2 L2501's and 6-7 of each of 3301 and 3901.

All customers have had no problems so far! The only complaints that are common among most, is the hydrostatic whine that they think is excessive.

Steel floor board with no rubber mat to help knock down the sound.

Pat

momule1572

Equipment
none yet
Jul 8, 2016
Eureka, MO
All standard L series tractors are fine! I would not be afraid of the DPF systems. Except the B3350. I currently have 2 L2501's and 6-7 of each of 3301 and 3901.

All customers have had no problems so far! The only complaints that are common among most, is the hydrostatic whine that they think is excessive.

Steel floor board with no rubber mat to help knock down the sound.

Pat
Thanks Pat! Is the HST the same between those models? The 2501 and 3301 seem like they might be nicely over built if they are they same components for the 3901.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Should be same frames and axles. Just HP and hydraulic pump sizes differ. L4701 is bigger in frame. I was in love when I saw it, but realisticly its far overkill for me...

momule1572

Equipment
none yet
Jul 8, 2016
Eureka, MO
Should be same frames and axles. Just HP and hydraulic pump sizes differ. L4701 is bigger in frame. I was in love when I saw it, but realisticly its far overkill for me...
Well I pulled the trigger on a HST L2501 today. I am feeling very good about the decision. I can really very close to buying the floor tractor that was a year old that was a standard. That tractor in the standard is well balanced. In the end I would have wanted a little more discount on that floor model to decide to get it. I liked the big brake foot petal on the manual and I liked the foot throttle and I know I could have made that tractor work for me if I decided to go with it. Interestingly the 3301 in the HST would bog down if set in high and mashed on the forward go. The standard on the 2501 in top gear did not bog down at all. The 2501 felt every bit as stout as the 3301 when comparing them at PTO rpm. I like running the engine at lower RPM and the 2501 seems to do that well. I think the standard unit gets PTO power at 1950 rpm! I rolled in loaded tires, factory wheel spacers, and a thumb on the backhoe. Very excited

Bunker Buster

Equipment
2015 L2501DT
You won't regret the 2501. I bought mine last august and have been very happy with it. I've used mine to mow 10 acres, box blade a long driveway and moving/spreading crushed concrete, dirt and sand. There are times I wish the bucket had a little more lifting capacity though.

momule1572

Equipment
none yet
Jul 8, 2016
Eureka, MO
You won't regret the 2501. I bought mine last august and have been very happy with it. I've used mine to mow 10 acres, box blade a long driveway and moving/spreading crushed concrete, dirt and sand. There are times I wish the bucket had a little more lifting capacity though.
Thanks, yea I would like to have more lifting capacity but it seems to get significantly more lifting capacity one would need to jump to a much more expensive tractor. I would have looked at a Mahindra if they had a dealer anywhere close but they don't. I am settling in to my decision and am feeling good about it.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
Thanks, yea I would like to have more lifting capacity but it seems to get significantly more lifting capacity one would need to jump to a much more expensive tractor. I would have looked at a Mahindra if they had a dealer anywhere close but they don't. I am settling in to my decision and am feeling good about it.
You should feel good about your decision, I use mine all the time for loader, backhoe, and road grading work and it does a great job with no lack of power at all.

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I am looking at the NH Workmaster 33 tomorrow. On paper, seems like more tractor. But the more I look at pics, the more I doubt Ill like it.

Got L2501 and 3301 quotes from a third dealer today and this puts the L3301 at $600 more than the Deere 3032e. Since Im biased towards Orange....

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I'm glad to hear such positive things about the L2501
Im about to purchase one with 2wd, gear transmission.
I have included a finish mower and a box blade and I think I have secured it at a very good price., about $12,500.
I am just a homeowner with 5 acres and I just want to mow and do some maintenance on the property so I didn't think the additional $2500 for 4wd was a good investment.
I'll post back with my experiences.

NS kubota

Equipment
Kubota MX4800, Norse 350 logging winch, Hla 2042 pallet forks, Woods BSS60
Dec 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Momule 1572 I know you said the 3301 was at the top of your budget but you should look at the 3901 also before pulling the pin they are roughly $2600 more than the 3301 but more power we have one and at the time my Dad asked me what my thoughts were and I told him get the 3901 you won't regret it and he is glad he did better power on the hills etc, as for the dpf don't worry about that if you follow the instructions on the fender you will have no trouble ours has regened 4-5 times in 100 hours but hang on if you don't do the regen properly a guy up the road from us shuts his down in the middle of a regen and has spent money at the dealer fixing his mistakes and the dealer has told him to stop mess up the regen but he won't listen anyway either way the 3301 will treat you well for many years to come. Cheers

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I'm glad to hear such positive things about the L2501
Im about to purchase one with 2wd, gear transmission.
I have included a finish mower and a box blade and I think I have secured it at a very good price., about $12,500.
I am just a homeowner with 5 acres and I just want to mow and do some maintenance on the property so I didn't think the additional $2500 for 4wd was a good investment.
I'll post back with my experiences.
You might want to reconsider the 4WD option. Think about mud, snow, & ice. In addition if pulling out a stuck vehicle with the tractor you will absolutely need 4WD. I have only had my tractor since November 2015 and I have needed 4WD in many different situations. Once you buy the tractor and have the options you want the cost difference will be forgotten.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
You might want to reconsider the 4WD option. Think about mud, snow, & ice. In addition if pulling out a stuck vehicle with the tractor you will absolutely need 4WD. I have only had my tractor since November 2015 and I have needed 4WD in many different situations. Once you buy the tractor and have the options you want the cost difference will be forgotten.
I certainly see your point. But I won't be working in the rain since I am retired and pretty much can pick the time I do anything. And snow? What's that?
Since I've moved here to Missouri (10 years) we have had less than a total of 8 inches of snow.....total as in all 10 years.
And the big decider was the extra cost.
I am retired and just can't justify it. But one thing that I am tossing around is the choice of tires. I suspect that the turf tires will suffice for most things but are the lug tires the better choice? My biggest concern is puncture and I would think the lug are much more resistant. My other concern is ride. Is there a noticeable ride difference between the two?
I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I certainly see your point. But I won't be working in the rain since I am retired and pretty much can pick the time I do anything. And snow? What's that?
Since I've moved here to Missouri (10 years) we have had less than a total of 8 inches of snow.....total as in all 10 years.
And the big decider was the extra cost.
I am retired and just can't justify it. But one thing that I am tossing around is the choice of tires. I suspect that the turf tires will suffice for most things but are the lug tires the better choice? My biggest concern is puncture and I would think the lug are much more resistant. My other concern is ride. Is there a noticeable ride difference between the two?
I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.
All good points, what about resale value? Just one more thing to consider.

As far as tires are concerned I opted for the R4 AG tires, this was a recommendation from my son in law that turned out to be a good one for me. I think that unless you're going to be driving across a golf course type lawn the R4 are a good choice that will work in many situations. I have driven my tractor across our lawn (in 2WD) without tearing it up, but it was not wet either. I imagine as far as ride the turf tires will be better, but having no suspension it is going to ride like a pogo stick anyway.
You might want to get other opinions on the correct tire choice especially since you are leaning towards the 2WD Tractor.
Let us know what you learn and good luck with your purchase!

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
Unless all your doing is mowing lawn on flat land, I would steer clear of the turf tires. Most 2wd models come with the r1 ag tires straight from the factory/dealer for the added traction. It's just my honest opinion but I wouldn't buy one of these tractors without 4x4 unless it was strictly a mowing and tilling tractor. Trying to do any real amount of pulling or loader work in 2wd just results in the rear tires digging ruts or losing traction because these tractors are so light.

drab m

Jul 13, 2016
Southern Illinois
Fwiw - I am as cheap as they come, and always look for ways to not spend money. But in this case I think the overwhelming collective wisdom on the issue of 4wd for this type of tractor is correct. I'd take a much smaller, used 4wd tractor over a new 2wd.

But I guess if I never drove one with 4wd and never knew any better I would be more happy with a 2wd tractor, than no tractor.

Actually - the more that I think, in your case, since it doesn't seem like you have any work that "has" to get done, I think you could have great fun with any tractor.

Last edited:

Takota

Equipment
L3301
Jan 27, 2016
Sanford, Fl
Remember when you have a 2wd if you are using a front end loader the more you load in the bucket the less weight is on the rear wheels. That can take away a lot of usefulness for you. Just something else to consider.