Gnats!

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I have gnats all over in the house lately. I've tried to clear out anything I can find that's likely to attract them. Problem is, they're not congregating in any one place so it's hard to tell what's keeping them around.

BUT - I just noticed a massive bunch of them all over one of my windows.

The windows on this house were very poorly installed. Flashing is crap, if it exists at all. I've already replaced a couple because of rotting around them.

So given that, I'm wondering if what I'm seeing might be due to rotting wood around this window attracting them?

Just a sanity check I guess - does my conclusion make sense?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Talked to lots of people this year having gnats problem. We started to notice them and my wife jumped into action and it appears that we conquered them.

She used these traps

AmazonSmile : Kensizer 20-Pack Fruit Fly Trap, Yellow Sticky Gnat Traps Killer for Indoor/Outdoor Flying Plant Insect Like Fungus Gnats, Whiteflies, Aphids, Leaf Miners - 6x8 in, Twist Ties Included : Patio, Lawn & Garden

They worked really well. She also did some stinky mixture for a few days, but the traps were working so well that she got rid of the mixtures.

Gnats like moisture and if the wood is holding water, there you go.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
We have millions and millions of gnats outside. When the sun is just right it looks like a fog of them. On the yard, in the grass fields, in the grassy parts of the woods, everywhere. We use these things to keep them from overtaking the interior of the house. https://www.target.com/p/zevo-insec...VDo3ICh2iHwVVEAQYBCABEgJrLfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’m sure there are other effective methods but other than removing attractants such as rotten food in trash, trapping them is about the only way we’ve found to control them.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Well, I closed that window and sprayed it quite well - it seems to have helped at least. They're still around but not as bad.

Looks like yet another window replacement. ALL the windows in this house are installed wrong.

If you ever have someone install windows for you, MAKE SURE THEY FLASH IT RIGHT! This has become a nightmare... :(