Giving up on a chipper

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I balked back in March when I started to look for a 3 point chipper for my BX23S. Now everywhere I look, sold out, or to be shipped in July.
Anyone out there see anything in stock? Or used for sale in the Northeast?

I may just say screw it and buy a gas powered unit on wheels.
:confused:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I balked back in March when I started to look for a 3 point chipper for my BX23S. Now everywhere I look, sold out, or to be shipped in July.

I too was in the market a few years ago ...... 3 point chipper, was ready to spend a couple of grand too.....
much like a generator - I found the stand a lone was the better option.

I use the bucket on the BX to catch the chips - then dump where I wish, the tractor can be used for different things while the chipper is still chipping!!!!

I found one of those "DR" chippers ..... works pretty good up to about 2.5 inches, makes great mulch.

Use craigslist or marketplace and do some searching - I think you will find one you like.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

That sucks but after probably close to 100 hours on the Woodland Mills WC68 I co-own with my brother (which is why it has so many hours after only about a year), if I had to wait to July to get a serious chipper with hydraulic feed or run down to the Home Depot to drop $1000 on a lightweight gasser, I’d wait to July and rent in the meantime if necessary. Wouldn’t even think about it.

That said, I’m aware what you can run with a BX23S is a bit smaller than what I’m running. You could run a WC46 though and although you’d have to wait, you’d have a lot more heavily built unit, hydraulic feed, and would avoid having another engine to maintain. Just the hydraulic feed would make the difference for me.

Reactions: 3 users

pchieffo

Equipment
BX 2660, LandPride Grading Scraper, LandPride Rake, Woodland Mills WC46 Chipper
Apr 21, 2021
Rindge, NH
I just got a Woodland Mills WC46 about 2 weeks ago. The note on the website said it might be delayed 4-7 weeks when I bought it but it actually shipped out in 2 days and I had it in about a week. Maybe I just got lucky but you may want to give it a try or talk to their customer service to double check when it would arrive.

So far I'm very happy with it. It's high quality and the hydraulic infeed is a great feature. It's worth waiting for if you can.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
neighbour made a deal with one of the local arbourists. Tree guy needed a place to unload his 'mulch', so neighbour got his huge pile of brush chopped up for accepting the 'mulch'. everyone wins !
one 'trick' was to stack the brush neatly so it was 'chipper ready'.
it might be cheaper/easier to rent a chipper for the day ? depends on how much 'brush' you have.
having a stand alone machine does allow the tractor to be free to do other jobs

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada

Even with a long wait for the 3-point chipper, getting the gas powered chipper isn't worth it IMO. Not after years of fighting to get a gasser on wheels to chip anything near what it was rated for.
My WC68 totally blows those gassers out of the water! Wait if you can.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Im not sure where you guys are but around here nobody wants to rent out a chipper, they say the liability is to high

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio

dont know where you are located.... but if you are close enough? i can sell you mine.

the thread on it from date of purchase is posted here along with the review & so on....

its lightly used & in good shape. $1600 cash

Attachments

Last edited:

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
sdk, I was looking at that model a lot, I'm in Massachusetts (don't hold it against me please), if you were a bit closer I would have considered it.

OP Update: I got angry, whipped out the credit card the other day and Ordered up the Woodland Mills WC-46. I like quality stuff, this one seems to be the highest quality for a really good price.

I hope it gets here as fast as pchieffo's did.

pchieffo

Equipment
BX 2660, LandPride Grading Scraper, LandPride Rake, Woodland Mills WC46 Chipper
Apr 21, 2021
Rindge, NH
sdk, I was looking at that model a lot, I'm in Massachusetts (don't hold it against me please), if you were a bit closer I would have considered it.

OP Update: I got angry, whipped out the credit card the other day and Ordered up the Woodland Mills WC-46. I like quality stuff, this one seems to be the highest quality for a really good price.

I hope it gets here as fast as pchieffo's did.
Good luck! I'm crossing my fingers for you!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
No worries hvnt posted it for sale yet but think I will..

If you use it a lot you will like it.

After the first few times my wife said it was too much like work and she didn't want to. Lol

So now it's a shelf queen in my rack in the shop.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The biggest problem I've seen with chippers is the 'operators' abusing the machines by either 'force feeding' limbs or tossing a 10" limb into an 8" rated machine. I hear that a lot around here...machine sounding sweet,chipping like crazy then woooooooooonk....RPM drops dramatically,sometime machine quits(gee, wonder why ??)

Docpraise

Equipment
B2601, MMM, FEL, PF, BB, RTV 500
Nov 21, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
I had to wait through two cycles of notification for my WoodMaxx WM-8H, but it was well worth it. The customer service people were great and the machine is well-built. Assembly was straightforward and I am slowly slogging through my accumulation of tree trimmings and saplings. Don't give up hope or settle for something less than you want.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I also received my Woodland Mills WC68 very quickly. For once in my life I had the foresight to plan :) I knew I was going to need a chipper for some of my projects this spring and ordered it in January.
Assembly was mostly easy, I was never able to get the discharge chute mounted in the correct orientation. The screw holes just don't line up. I ended up turning it 180 degrees and then it went together easily. The downside (from what I understand) is I won't be able to flip up the intake chute for storage. Not a problem since I don't expect to do that.

All that said it's been a great little chipper. The powered drum intake is great and I'd never get another chipper without that feature.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I love my Woodmaxx WM-8H also, been 3 years now. I put in a 1/4 mile of trail thru Quakies and other brush, and the chips make a great walking or bike riding surface. Now that the trail is mature, I maintain it with the dead fall from last winter again going on the trail. It's a win/win for me, I get the chips for the trail, and I get rid of what I don't want. Anything it can't chip goes in the wood shed.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I bought a Vermeer BX700 2 years ago, and it works great, but it does get tiring when you spend the day chipping. My friend cuts, and I feed the chipper. He can cut faster than I can chip, but at the end of the day, we accomplished a lot of chipping..

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
+1 on the Woodland Mills WC46 ... although mine is still in the box ... this is not something you want to settle on - do the research and wait for the machine you actually want if you can.

- James