Getting the mail in style

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Tired of the standard duty mail box. It never seems to hold up to a spirited game of mail box baseball that the local thugs seem to enjoy playing. I can't wait till they try to hit a home run on this bad boy. Lets see how well they do against 3/16 plate welded inside and out and even has gussets on the inside for extra strength. 3/8 wall 4x4 steel post with concrete about 4 ft deep and has 1/4 in steel plate side support. The door alone weighs over 5 lbs.

I just hope they don't scratch the new paint up to bad.

Attachments

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
LOL!!! A bright orange landmark for visitors.:D They make a heavy duty "RURAL" mail box for the bat people, I have two of them. Of course they aren't quite 3/16" inch thick, but surely enough to hurt their wrist on a drive by.:D I mounted mine on a 1 1/2" pressure treated board, attached to the traditional pressure treated post with concrete around it.:D I never knew a mail box had to be so complicated in modern society.:rolleyes:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Cool, I like it. Maybe I should do the same, improve my weak-alu-box to steel in orange!

;-)

cabu

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
That's a serious piece of metal-work . I eventually went with a
PO Box in town , for security and weatherproofness.
Have you got line-of-sight of your mail box or are you
way back from the road ?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sam, I bet the next time you come up here you won't have any trouble finding my driveway for sure. My postman came up while we were putting it up yesterday and I thought he was going to fall out of his jeep. He said he was sure that it was by far the tuffest built mail box on his rout. I even found a good use for cheap wrenches. Makes a damn good latch for the door. It will do for now.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That's a serious piece of metal-work . I eventually went with a
PO Box in town , for security and weatherproofness.
Have you got line-of-sight of your mail box or are you
way back from the road ?
I can't see it from my house. I guess it's about 250 yds from the road.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
My mailbox is a retired propane tank, welded to a steel post. The bat boys haven't even tried it, but a few others mailboxes on my road have been damaged.
I guess now I'll have to decorate it and paint it orange.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Bulldog, do you remember on John Ross road from East Ridge toward Rossville, about 300 yards from the stop sign at Crest Road back toward E R, there is a sharp curve with a mail box on the outside curve that was always getting knocked down. People would come around the curve too fast when the road was wet and slide into it. That thing was forever getting knocked down. I came to work thru there one morning and the guy had built a mountain stone pillar with the mail box in it. I just laughed and pitied the next guy that spun out. Two weeks later, mountain stone was scattered all over his yard and the mailbox was gone. He never rebuilt it. guess he got a PO box.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Ipz, I do remember that but I don't think I ever got to see the mountain stone version. It seemed like every time it would rain that poor dude was fixing his mail box.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
When I was driving a tuck for a local landscape product supplier. I hauled several boulders out to a ladies house who lined the edge of her property with boulders in an effort to keep cars from running threw her grass. Someone nailed a 3500lb boulder and knocked it back about 25 feet.

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
:eek:Bulldog thats a mailbox. Pitty the dude that hits that one with a bat or bottle broke arm or paint job on car.handy:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It opens up real nice. Just push up on the wrench and it come right open. I'm considering putting spring assist to close it though. It's not bad at all really. I guarantee you that it's by far the heaviest lid he shuts on his rout though. I guess the box - post weighs around 70 lbs or so. Total package is pushing 200#. It's beefy.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well if they scuff up the orange I'm sure it will be easy to match up to what ever they hit it with. :D :D :D :D

Then it will be pay back time. :D :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The thugs beat my other mail box clean of the post after they came by and hit that 1/4 plate I had welded on the side for protection. So far so good on the new one. Maybe they will show some respect for the Orange.