Getting Loaded Tires Back On

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I'm not able to get my BX to a tire shop to get the rear tires loaded (no trailer and no truck) so I'll have to take them in the back of the Venza to the shop.

So here's my question; what is the best/easiest/least amount of hassle way of getting the loaded tires back on to the tractor? Just huff 'em up there?

Thanks for any help!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've not dealt with loaded tire. I find air filled ones a bit much to attempt to align and get bolts started. With everything at about the right height I'll put one 2 X 4 crosswise beneath another using them as a lever and fulcrum. With the tire on one end of my lever I can depress the other end with my foot while attempting to start my bolt. It sounds primitive but it works.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
While doing my 3rd function on my LX2610, I jacked up just enough so the tire wasn't touching. Wressled into position, good size pry bar under tire to give lift and work it on. Should be a bit easier with the smaller BX tire.

I have the larger of the two tire options on my LX.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I used the following method to re-mount the tires on my BX1860. First, I used a hydraulic jack and aligned one of the bottom holes in the wheel with the hole in the axle. Once I got that first hole aligned I screwed in the first lug bolt. That first bolt should screwed in loose so that you can pivot the wheel and align another lug bolt and screw it in. Once you have the first two lug bolts screwed in the rest are easy. I found that it is almost impossible to align all the lug holes up with the axle unless I used the method I just described. The best thing about using this method is that there is no lifting required.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You ought to try mounting mine. They are not loaded because I don't need filled tires but both rims have the cast centers and each one with a tire mounted weighs just under 1000 pounds. It's a 2 man job or a chetry picker job to mount them and you never let them fall over and if they do, get out of the way because they can injure you on the way down.

I prefer to have my tire guy handle them.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
For big heavy tires don't try lifting the wheel onto the hub. Let gravity hold the wheel and use a bottle jack to adjust the hub height.

Get a bottle jack or some jack that lets you fine control the bleed out. (I have some jack that just seem to drop under load, you don't want to use one like that.) Use safety stands as a back up. Raise the hub high enough that you can roll the wheel into place and get the bolt holes lined up. Slowly lower the jack until you can thread one bolt. You will need to play around with jack height to get the second opposite side bolt threaded. Seat both bolts by hand, don't use an impact gun. Now you can jack up the rear end and spin the wheels freely and hand tighten the remaining bolts. Do the initial torque then a final torque with the wheels on the ground.

Don't worry if it doesn't seem easy, it isn't. Life will be easier if you are strong like bull, and even easier if have a helping hand.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
For big heavy tires don't try lifting the wheel onto the hub. Let gravity hold the wheel and use a bottle jack to adjust the hub height.

Get a bottle jack or some jack that lets you fine control the bleed out. (I have some jack that just seem to drop under load, you don't want to use one like that.) Use safety stands as a back up. Raise the hub high enough that you can roll the wheel into place and get the bolt holes lined up. Slowly lower the jack until you can thread one bolt. You will need to play around with jack height to get the second opposite side bolt threaded. Seat both bolts by hand, don't use an impact gun. Now you can jack up the rear end and spin the wheels freely and hand tighten the remaining bolts. Do the initial torque then a final torque with the wheels on the ground.

Don't worry if it doesn't seem easy, it isn't. Life will be easier if you are strong like bull, and even easier if have a helping hand.
isn't this exactly what I posted in #4?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I used the following method to re-mount the tires on my BX1860. First, I used a hydraulic jack and aligned one of the bottom holes in the wheel with the hole in the axle. Once I got that first hole aligned I screwed in the first lug bolt. That first bolt should screwed in loose so that you can pivot the wheel and align another lug bolt and screw it in. Once you have the first two lug bolts screwed in the rest are easy. I found that it is almost impossible to align all the lug holes up with the axle unless I used the method I just described. The best thing about using this method is that there is no lifting required.
This ^^^ (or a variation)

I just had the foam filled tires off my BX a couple days ago to install wheel spacers. Very heavy by the way.

Jack under the frame in back. Raise/lower tractor as needed to get the studs/bolt holes close to where they need to be. Bar under tire to make final adjustments, so tire slipped on spacer studs. My hubs have five bolts and no studs, but the same procedure worked fine with bolts only, years ago.

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Thanks for all the suggestions on this!

I've looked into doing this myself, but can't get the Rim Guard back to my house easily - basically no way to transport it. For me, I think it makes more sense to just bring the tires in to the local Rim Guard dealer (not the tractor dealership, which seems to charge much more per gallon).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Don't know what a Venza is, but my back hurts just thinking if you try to 'grunt and lift'... Actually have a 2nd hernia (upper) from doing something stupid like that.
I made a simple 'tire carrier' that goes on the chain hoist. Similar to what delivery trucks have for drywall or bricks. It makes it easy,simple and SAFE to remove/install 500$ forklift tire/rim/drum units.
Anyone know what the filled tires weigh ? I'd be curious.... and ... I assume you're not cutting grss with them on ??

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Don't know what a Venza is, but my back hurts just thinking if you try to 'grunt and lift'... Actually have a 2nd hernia (upper) from doing something stupid like that.
I made a simple 'tire carrier' that goes on the chain hoist. Similar to what delivery trucks have for drywall or bricks. It makes it easy,simple and SAFE to remove/install 500$ forklift tire/rim/drum units.
Anyone know what the filled tires weigh ? I'd be curious.... and ... I assume you're not cutting grss with them on ??
The rear tires for your tractor will hold roughly 10 gallons of fluid. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you add about 20 pounds for the tire/wheel weight you have a bout 100 pounds per tire for your tractor. Stock rear tires for the BX1860 hold about 2.5 gallons less fluid than the tires for your tractor.

Stock rear tires for the BX1860 are 24x12x12. Stock rear tires for your tractor are 26x12x12,

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
The rear tires for your tractor will hold roughly 10 gallons of fluid. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you add about 20 pounds for the tire/wheel weight you have a bout 100 pounds per tire for your tractor. Stock rear tires for the BX1860 hold about 2.5 gallons less fluid than the tires for your tractor.

Stock rear tires for the BX1860 are 24x12x12. Stock rear tires for your tractor are 26x12x12,
I believe rim guard is about 10 pounds per gallon.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I believe rim guard is about 10 pounds per gallon.
I know that Rim Guard is heavier than water. I was using the weight of water only as a reference. I happen to use windshield washer fluid. It is much cheaper and easier to handle.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My BX ag tires are foam filled. I think the filled fronts were about 50 pounds each, and the rears something like 150 (or more)pounds each. Recorded it somewhere but that was 16 years ago. Being foam, they are 100 percent filled.

Yes I cut grass with the BX. Looks like grass anyway. Mix of short weeds I suppose.