Getting additional traction

rgOO6

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT
Sep 12, 2021
Villa Rica, GA
Hello All,
Just curious what the safest way is to add weight to a tractor when moving a heavy load around the woods. I have ag tires and 4x4 but the tires just start slipping in the leaves and dirt. Is is pretty standard to temporarily add some weights to the front and back to try and get better traction?
Thanks,
Rick

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You didn't say if you moving the weight in your bucket or pulling it behind you?

I will assume the bucket and the easy way to add rear weight is to attach an implement. I have my mower on during mowing season and after that, the box blade rides on the rear.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
People who do serious forestry work use tire chains on their skidders.

The chains provide a big traction increase + they protect the tires

Sidder tire chains.jpg

More weight helps but only in the correct places. You need to more completely describe your tractor and how you are working it.

Dave

Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Hello All,
Just curious what the safest way is to add weight to a tractor when moving a heavy load around the woods. I have ag tires and 4x4 but the tires just start slipping in the leaves and dirt. Is is pretty standard to temporarily add some weights to the front and back to try and get better traction?
Thanks,
Rick
I have the same machine with the rear tires loaded. I find in the woods it always needs the 4 wheel in. Are you sure you are getting yours engaged?

Bill

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello All,
Thanks,
Rick
Weight in the bucket unloads the rear tires. A counterweight is the most effective way to counteract such.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

katansam

Equipment
B8200, BF-350 loader, Woods BH750
Oct 18, 2021
Greene RI
I have my backhoe on with turf tires. Usually keep it in 4wd and I don't slip at all. I'm pretty hilly too....just need to be super careful on the hills and bumps, taking them straight or I'll flip it. My set up is pretty small so the BH is manageable in the woods

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
A little more description might help some suggestions. Tires typically don’t just slip in leaves…is it wet and if so muddy or just damp? Incline/decline and are you hauling weight in the loader. Are your tires loaded? If not that will help some. If you want to take it up a notch then some wheel weights, finally some weight off the back…ballast or some implement. But I suspect it really depends on what doing and the terrain. Weight would most likely help…chains as one member suggested probably turns your tractor into a beast with some weight.