Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Hey, never let a catastrophe go to waste.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Here is what I know....

My Ram Ecodiesel died in the driveway on May 29--under warranty. Towed it to the Ram service center on Monday, June 1 and they said it would be about two weeks to look at it--way backed-up. Called yesterday and said at least another 1-1.5 weeks before they can even look at it. So they will have it over a MONTH before they can even look at it.

Not sure what's going on but something isn't right.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Hmmm sounds like the law of supply and demand. You don't want your government to interfere here, do you?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I meant to respond to your thread you had posted.

Our dealer has been swamped for months, it is not uncommon for vehicles to sit for weeks before we can get to them. This has been the craziest time Ive seen it in my 19 years of doing this.

Few reasons for this from my experience...

With Covid we got a shutdown of many manufacturing facilities, which affects the parts supply to build new vehicles and repair vehicles that are on the road. Shortage of new vehicles available for purchase means people have had to fix vehicles they would likely not spend money on, just trade it. But also getting parts for the ones in for service has been a challenge too with many back orders on many parts.

Lack of qualified technicians to repair these vehicles is another challenge. For many reasons, its not the same job it was back in the day. Very few new recruits make it long. I won’t ramble on that.

Lack of new cars has also put dealers in a bind to have something to sell as well. In our case we have 3 dedicated used car techs that recondition used vehicles for sale (not the case at every dealer, some use main techs to do this). They are spending a lot of money on cars that would typically not be resold on our lot. This is an internal issue to a dealer that most won’t understand, but its business.

I feel for you in that you don’t have your truck, and in my case I try my best to prioritize vehicles, but in the end we can’t please everybody.

This comment is not directed at you aa, just a general observation. Its seems many people don’t understand why things like this happen when you shutdown half of the world. It is taking its toll on everybody.

Reactions: 3 users

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Ford tech...Same thing here in my industry. Everyone fixing vehicles which makes long times for repair. Some vehicles over 300000 miles. Did one last week with 476,000 miles. When my lot gets full, I have to just start turning them away.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Yep they used to supply grease for us and they are the largest grease supplier in North America. They supply to many OEMs and other branded greases.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
This comment is not directed at you aa, just a general observation. Its seems many people don’t understand why things like this happen when you shutdown half of the world. It is taking its toll on everybody.
I really appreciate the response. Your explanation makes sense and I get it. BUT.... they tell me 2-3 weeks and now 4-5 WEEKS to look at a truck.

I know nothing about the vehicle business but I do know business and although they may have good reason for the back-up they will never get my business again. I have purchased 6 trucks from them in the past 20 or so years and this is the last.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I really appreciate the response. Your explanation makes sense and I get it. BUT.... they tell me 2-3 weeks and now 4-5 WEEKS to look at a truck.

I know nothing about the vehicle business but I do know business and although they may have good reason for the back-up they will never get my business again. I have purchased 6 trucks from them in the past 20 or so years and this is the last.
I certainly understand your frustration. I can not speak for the dealer you are dealing with, Ive heard similar stories from our local Dodge dealership, even pre Covid, we would actually get a lot of them brought to us. I understand yours is under warranty so its not really an option, also understand the hassle of having it towed to another dealer as well (if even an option, don’t know your area).

What we try to do is try to at least get a diagnosis completed and parts ordered, finding time to get repairs done can take some time though. Ive been working 11-12 hr days for past few months and its not slowing down at all.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I certainly understand your frustration.
Well as you said, its just where we are right now. Its just impossible to imagine that when all is said and done this COULD take two months (1/6 of a YEAR).

I'm fortunate that a friend of mine has a 2007 Santa Fe sitting around that I am able to use. Things like this can/do cause folks to lose jobs. If you cannot get to work, or worse yet need your truck to work, you could go bankrupt..and thats no exaggeration... on a warranty repair!!

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Well as you said, its just where we are right now. Its just impossible to imagine that when all is said and done this COULD take two months (1/6 of a YEAR).

I'm fortunate that a friend of mine has a 2007 Santa Fe sitting around that I am able to use. Things like this can/do cause folks to lose jobs. If you cannot get to work, or worse yet need your truck to work, you could go bankrupt..and thats no exaggeration... on a warranty repair!!
You might want to call the guy who sold you the vehicle and push for them to provide you with a loaner. Heck if it was more than a week on a vehicle under warranty I would be pushing the dealer I bought it from for one. You shouldn't be put in a position to borrow a friend's vehicle when you just bought a brand new one.

Unless the dealership has decided to take over the payments for the time that they have let it sit in their lot without you being able to use it. Even if they are being level with you about it being pushed back you are paying insurance, taxes, depreciation, and the car payments while it is sitting on their lot. If they say they don't have a loaner available at the time tell them to call you when the next one is returned.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You might want to call the guy who sold you the vehicle and push for them to provide you with a loaner. Heck if it was more than a week on a vehicle under warranty I would be pushing the dealer I bought it from for one. You shouldn't be put in a position to borrow a friend's vehicle when you just bought a brand new one.

Unless the dealership has decided to take over the payments for the time that they have let it sit in their lot without you being able to use it. Even if they are being level with you about it being pushed back you are paying insurance, taxes, depreciation, and the car payments while it is sitting on their lot. If they say they don't have a loaner available at the time tell them to call you when the next one is returned.
Not trying to be rude at all, but this is not our problem as a dealer. We don’t build them, buy them, or break them. That would be an issue you can try to take up with the manufacturer. Not all dealers have loaners available, and rentals are is very short supply as well. If you look at most of the dealers sales lot I suspect they are pretty bare. We typically have roughly 500 or so on the lot for sale. There may be 100 out there, been that way for a while. I feel for the trouble aa has been having, the past year has affected everything.

Edit: I meant to quote only the part about the dealer making the payments while its down.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Not trying to be rude at all, but this is not our problem as a dealer. We don’t build them, buy them, or break them. That would be an issue you can try to take up with the manufacturer. Not all dealers have loaners available, and rentals are is very short supply as well. If you look at most of the dealers sales lot I suspect they are pretty bare. We typically have roughly 500 or so on the lot for sale. There may be 100 out there, been that way for a while. I feel for the trouble aa has been having, the past year has affected everything.

Edit: I meant to quote only the part about the dealer making the payments while its down.
I apologize my mentioning of the dealer making the payments was an extreme suggestion that no dealership would ever take up on and probably came of a little aggressive. I also don't mean to suggest the dealer built it or broke it.

However, they do sell the product and are basically the only go between for the end consumer and the manufacturer. Most if not all of the warranty work is done by them and if the vehicle is on their lot for 4 weeks and not looked at yet then that dealer should be looking at how to do something to help the person that bought the vehicle not have to borrow something from someone else. whether that be offering to pay for a long term rental, take a lot vehicle and turn it into a loaner, or lean on the manufacturer for assistance. They didn't buy some jalopy with 300k miles on it, what they have probably has less than 10k miles.

I fully understand if they don't have the parts or manpower but does it then fall on the customer to pay for a rental vehicle when they just bought a brand new car while they wait 2 months for it to get looked at? At that point it is getting mighty close to a lemon to me.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I apologize my mentioning of the dealer making the payments was an extreme suggestion that no dealership would ever take up on and probably came of a little aggressive. I also don't mean to suggest the dealer built it or broke it.

However, they do sell the product and are basically the only go between for the end consumer and the manufacturer. Most if not all of the warranty work is done by them and if the vehicle is on their lot for 4 weeks and not looked at yet then that dealer should be looking at how to do something to help the person that bought the vehicle not have to borrow something from someone else. whether that be offering to pay for a long term rental, take a lot vehicle and turn it into a loaner, or lean on the manufacturer for assistance. They didn't buy some jalopy with 300k miles on it, what they have probably has less than 10k miles.

I fully understand if they don't have the parts or manpower but does it then fall on the customer to pay for a rental vehicle when they just bought a brand new car while they wait 2 months for it to get looked at? At that point it is getting mighty close to a lemon to me.
Its all good, I completely understand both sides of it, and can only offer my personal experience.

I completely agree that the truck should have at least been looked at by now. Can’t speak for the particular dealer in question, but its not hows ours is run. Can think of many reasons why, but Im not going to assume anything because Im not there. It is very unfortunate and I hate hearing stories like this.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here is what I know....

My Ram Ecodiesel died in the driveway on May 29--under warranty. Towed it to the Ram service center on Monday, June 1 and they said it would be about two weeks to look at it--way backed-up. Called yesterday and said at least another 1-1.5 weeks before they can even look at it. So they will have it over a MONTH before they can even look at it.

Local dealers have been covered up. And a limited number of lifts that can handle the bigger framed vehicles. Factor in chip and part shortages, repairs have been taking longer.

Just had recall work done on the transmission for a 2020 F550 flat bed. They had a bad pinion gear that was known to crater the transmission.

Per warranty instructions, they aren't allowed to order parts till it was torn apart. There is only one dealership that has a lift big enough to handle those trucks locally. The next closest lift is 70 miles away. And the dealer only has one.

Once it's on the lift, they are stuck till parts come in.

We were able to do some scheduling and managed to get the truck in and fixed in about a week. But when I stopped by a week later to pick the truck up, they had 4 more on the lot waiting for the same repair. So... number 4 is at least a month out from getting fixed.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
So... number 4 is at least a month out from getting fixed.
Yeah its just crazy. Like @Fordtech86 said things are just nuts right now. And I have felt like @ccoon520 has expressed. I have to believe that the dealer is doing everything they can, what else can I believe?

Not to hijack the thread and nothing I say is political (I hate them all equally) BUT I'm just very confused and concerned when you look at my situation (which is apparently very common) AND every store here looks like its 'going out of business'--shelves half bare or completely removed. Restaurants open for dinner only, some only Fridays and Saturdays, help wanted signs at every business... on and on.

@Fordtech86 is fortunate to have too much to do. Think about the salesman where he works that needs to sell cars to feed his family... and there are no cars to sell--our toyota dealer has, no joke, 8 cars on the entire lot. Think about the guy/gal working at the Bass gun department sent home because there are no guns/ammo to sell--true story of my friend. The guy I purchased their LAST Badboy mower from Tuesday who now has nothing to sell.

We have to turn things around fellas!!!! Quick!!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah its just crazy. Like @Fordtech86 said things are just nuts right now. And I have felt like @ccoon520 has expressed. I have to believe that the dealer is doing everything they can, what else can I believe?

Not to hijack the thread and nothing I say is political (I hate them all equally) BUT I'm just very confused and concerned when you look at my situation (which is apparently very common) AND every store here looks like its 'going out of business'--shelves half bare or completely removed. Restaurants open for dinner only, some only Fridays and Saturdays, help wanted signs at every business... on and on.

@Fordtech86 is fortunate to have too much to do. Think about the salesman where he works that needs to sell cars to feed his family... and there are no cars to sell--our toyota dealer has, no joke, 8 cars on the entire lot. Think about the guy/gal working at the Bass gun department sent home because there are no guns/ammo to sell--true story of my friend. The guy I purchased their LAST Badboy mower from Tuesday who now has nothing to sell.

We have to turn things around fellas!!!! Quick!!!
Quite a few of the restaraunts around here are extremely short staffed. Hence the limited hours of operation. Every one around here is hiring. But there are also quite a few folks milking the unemployment as well. Until they get cut off, we will be in this position

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
UPDATE:

It will be five weeks Monday. Was told they would 'get to it' this week. My patients has run out--and if I must say so myself I believe I have been more than patient.

I'm going up there Monday to 'discuss' this with the owner, or service manager at a minimum.