Gear oil vs UDT in front axle

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Super UDT2 is 75% synthetic. Below is a quote from the kubotausa faq page:
-IS SUPER UDT2 A SYNTHETIC OIL?
Super UDT2, Kubota's proprietary hydraulic/transmission fluid, is approximately 75% synthetic. It is a multi-purpose all-weather tractor hydraulic fluid. It is fully compatible with UDT fluids.

Link to FAQ page, under parts: https://www.kubotausa.com/contact/faq

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
If you have a Kubota, you are using Synthetic oils. The UDT is Synthetic.🤓
I don't use the Kubota Hydraulic oil of any kind anymore. I use Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission oil from Walmart. I find that it works better than Super UDT2 in my tractor. On my first hydraulic oil change I tried the Super UDT2 and experienced louder noise from my transmission so I decided to research other oils. After a lot of reading I decided to try that stuff from Walmart. on my last change. The transmission noise immediately was reduced and I also experienced faster movement in the loader hydraulics, at 2200 RPM, the engine speed that I most often use the loader with.

Anyway, if the Walmart stuff is synthetic, I would be very surprised. I suspect that it is mineral oil.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
But the topic is UDT. That is a different product then Super UDT2. The point I have been struggling to get you to see, just so others know the truth.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't use the Kubota Hydraulic oil of any kind anymore. I use Super Tech Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission oil from Walmart. I find that it works better than Super UDT2 in my tractor. On my first hydraulic oil change I tried the Super UDT2 and experienced louder noise from my transmission so I decided to research other oils. After a lot of reading I decided to try that stuff from Walmart. on my last change. The transmission noise immediately was reduced and I also experienced faster movement in the loader hydraulics, at 2200 RPM, the engine speed that I most often use the loader with.

Anyway, if the Walmart stuff is synthetic, I would be very surprised. I suspect that it is mineral oil.
The Service Mgr at my local WM confidently informs me that SuperTech is a SOPUS product.* SOPUS is Shell Oil Company’s multi-production facility in Houston, Tx and the SuperTech products are identical to the standard Quaker State/ Pennzoil counterpart, simply placed in a SuperTech container.

*The SOPUS origin of SuperTech, Pennzoil, QS, etc. Is confirmed in the fine print on the back of the packaging. They all meet the same ILSAC and EPA standards. If you prefer to spend more money for the identical product you can buy those other name-brands.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The Service Mgr at my local WM confidently informs me that SuperTech is a SOPUS product.* SOPUS is Shell Oil Company’s multi-production facility in Houston, Tx and the SuperTech products are identical to the standard Quaker State/ Pennzoil counterpart, simply placed in a SuperTech container.

*The SOPUS origin of SuperTech, Pennzoil, QS, etc. Is confirmed in the fine print on the back of the packaging. They all meet the same ILSAC and EPA standards. If you prefer to spend more money for the identical product you can buy those other name-brands.
Here is what convinced me to buy the SuperTech product. Notice the following includes Kubota in their statement.

This Super Tech Heavy-Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid is specially formulated with only the finest quality, high-viscosity index base oils and an advanced and rigorously tested additive system to deliver unsurpassed protection and performance. It offers exceptional protection against wear from microscopic contaminants and higher operating temperatures and pressures, and ensures long equipment life. This Super Tech transmission fluid contains critically balanced frictional characteristics that ensure precise clutch and wet brake operation with unsurpassed chatter suppression. It also prevents acid formation for exceptional protection against rust and corrosion and meets the following requirements: Allison C-4; John Deere J20A/B/C, J21A, Hygard J14 B/C, Type 303; Case JIC-145, Hy-Tran, MS-1207, 1208, 1209 and 1220; Caterpillar TO-2; Deutz Allis; Ford New Holland ESN-M2C134-D; International Harvester HY-Tran B-6; Kubota; and many more.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
All I know is, the front axles on both my M's are filled with Shell 85-90 Spirax gear oil and always have been. What other people use is entirely their choice. I don't care if the fill them with windshield washer fluid.

Reactions: 1 user

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
All I know is, the front axles on both my M's are filled with Shell 85-90 Spirax gear oil and always have been. What other people use is entirely their choice. I don't care if the fill them with windshield washer fluid.
Does windshield washer fluid work in the front axle? That is much cheaper than the oil I am using now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Does windshield washer fluid work in the front axle? That is much cheaper than the oil I am using now.
Heck if people use it for tire ballast (I don't don't need it) then it must be good for other 'uses' too, besides removing bugs from a windshield...

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Heck if people use it for tire ballast (I don't don't need it) then it must be good for other 'uses' too, besides removing bugs from a windshield...
I am going to research that. Happy Thanksgiving SidecarFlip!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Same to you, stay safe and Covid free. Just Amy and the cats and me for dinner. No, they get cat food, we get the real food. 😀

Out in the shop working on a Kubota bucket for a customer. Adding a SSQA plate to it for him then I have his chopper that needs serious welding and new blades, looks like he was chopping car parts with it. After that I need to work on my Lucknow 84" rear mount blower. It needs the driveline gone through. Always something.

fishdrivel

Equipment
b2501
Nov 24, 2020
georgia
Synthetic oil does not cause leaks.
It also does nothing to stop them.
Non-synthetics often will cause a seal or gasket to swell, reducing or delaying leaks.
If your stuff is bright and shiny, synthetic is the way to go.
Oldy but goodie? Use regular lubricants.
BUT, always follow manufacturers recommendations!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Synthetic oil does not cause leaks.
It also does nothing to stop them.
Non-synthetics often will cause a seal or gasket to swell, reducing or delaying leaks.
If your stuff is bright and shiny, synthetic is the way to go.
Oldy but goodie? Use regular lubricants.

BUT, always follow manufacturers recommendations!
really? Sounds like Sugar cookies to me...

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I went with the Kubota Premium UDT in the front axle for my 400 hr service. Gets friggin cold here in MB, the freer flowing udt will help.
ALSO, another reason I used the UDT instead of 80W-90 is the Premium UDT comes in 19 litre pails which is just about a perfect amount for re-filling the HST hydraulics AND the front axle, for total volume.

glenn3564

Equipment
kubota l3901-la524 loader-landpride box blade
Mar 9, 2018
gresham, s.c. 29546
Ya'll just saved me a trip to town. My book says either on me L3901 HST. I am in the process since yesterday at 1:00 pm, draining my initial service out which was 80w90 gear oil. Still draining this
morning at 10 am. That's my only bitch with it is the slow drain and the down time. Here it gets
cold too. Just got off a week of 17 to 19 degrees in the morning so it does get COLD IN THE
CAROLINAS. BUT, you won't catch me on that tractor at that temp. I'll be inside sitting by the fire.
Oh by the way, I just bought another changing of 80w90 yesterday and was tempted to take it back
for the UDT because of the slow drain time. Got both drain plugs going, the fill cap off, the over-flow
cap off too so it's getting plenty of air to drain.