gasoline in diesel engine....

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
NOT a Kubota.... this is an old Mitsubishi tractor.

I noticed a buddy had his tractor sitting in an odd location the other day and asked him WHY it was there.

He explained that it ran out of diesel a couple weeks ago right there. He did not have any diesel fuel so he thought it would be OK to just put a couple gallons of GASOLINE in it to move it. He was not clear on what happened next...

It has not moved since.... I suspect the gasoline damaged something (like a cracked head)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If it's for sale, buy it and then fix it. Old diesels are very forgiving. Probably just need to drain out the entire fuel system and fill with winter diesel anc clean filters

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Drain the gasoline from the tank, and fuel lines. Change fuel filter. Disconnect the injection lines from the injection pump. Crack lines at the injectors so the injection lines will drain.

Tighten lines at injection pump. Prime fuel system. Crank engine till fuel spurts from each injector. Tighten lines at injectors after getting good fuel spurts from them.

Start tractor and let idle for a bit to finishing purging any gasoline from fuel system.

Most likely the engine started running like crud. But unless gasoline is added repeatedly or engine was run for a long time under those conditions it should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Just for scientific curiosity, approximately how old is your buddy? It reminds me of my niece's 24 year old boyfriend who straight gassed my parents weed eater and locked it up. He had no clue as he had never ran a weed eater. It is baffling to me as a male.

BTW, you're in a beautiful state. I have relatives not far from you.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Cleaning the fuel system should work unless he melted a piston from the gas.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Hey Triode, many years ago I found a used Mecedes 230 (?) in really nice shape for my wife. She was pregnant with our 1st and late one night was coming back from her mom's & pulled into a truck stop for gas. The attendant (remember them) filled her up and she made it about 2 miles before it quit. He put diesel in it, it wasn't :(

They towed it back to the truck stop and got it running - claimed they even pulled the carb and washed it out. Too bad it was fuel injected. It did run ok after that, right up to the time she totaled it.