Gaining traction

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
B2601 BX5455HD, RCK60-32,
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
Well we finally got a plowable snow here in central Maine. My first foray with the B2601 and Bx5455hd snowblower combo struggled and slipped to get up some small inclines on the driveway.
So between tire loading, a ballast box, or tire chains which would give me the best chance at gaining traction? I thought chains but im really not excited about the prospect of installing wheel spacers outside in winter....

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
In my experience chains are the best option. You could start with front chains which are pretty easy to put on due to being so much lighter, less expensive, and don’t require spacers.

Reactions: 4 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I would say chains but ballast always helps as well. What tires do you have on it?

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
In Addition to above recommendations (ballast…weight helps), I’ve been considering studs myself in lieu of chains. There are several threads on here about them. I really only need them for ice though, so my interest changes with the year and weather. Ballast is a great idea regardless, Unless ice, my B is fine just with proper ballast.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Ballast, then chains. In the mean time, when having issues, pick up the blower a inch or so, this put the blower weight on the tractor, (ballast), plus the blower is not dragging on the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you have the R4 tires you need chains,, they are skid steer tires I dont know who the brain truss was that thought it was a good idea to use this tire but he should be horse whipped !!!

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Also in Maine, and just learning my tractor, but I have loaded turf tires, and didn't really ever notice the rears breaking traction while snow blowing or picking up piles of snow with the loader - that said, I do have quite a bit more ballast weight, given the loaded tires and the blower being on the rear of the tractor versus the front. If you don't have loaded tires, I'd start there, as this will help year round, regardless of the job you're trying to tackle.

I will say that chains make a world of difference as well, as that is what I have on my Ryobi riding mower with snow blade. Before I put the chains on, it would break traction at ~3-4" of snow, after, I was able to push around 12", that rider only has rear wheel drive, but the battery sits over the rear axle. I like chains for their purpose, but they are a bit of a pain to put on, can leave marks on pavement (the electric mower breaks traction, but its because of it having all the torque right away), and also reduces the braking ability, if you're moving from point to point, while not performing a task, and lastly, they rust and can leave rust spots where you're storing it.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
In my experience chains are the best option. You could start with front chains which are pretty easy to put on due to being so much lighter, less expensive, and don’t require spacers.
Using front chains only is not a good idea for these smaller tractors as it puts a lot more stress on the front end potentially leading to damage. If only doing 1 end of the tractor, do the rear tires.

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Hello from next door. If you got the same ice pellet/freezing rain stuff, I feel your pain.
It was like sugar or frozen beach sand and pretty tough to snow blow with the little 'BX.

Thankfully I do have turfs with tire chains (no spacers) on the rear only and ran in 4wd-lo range

About 1/2 though snowblowing I put the back blade on for a little more ballast and to occasionally drop it
on the ground to "break up the concrete"

p.s.-My driveway is pretty flat, but rolls up towards the road at the end. If it ever gets icy, I always snowblow "down", away from the road.

You need to adapt to the conditions or your equipment.

I saw the next door neighbour snowblowing 2 months worth of snow in his backyard yesterday but he has a 1965(?) International with 40 or 50hp and ginormous rear tires with massive chains & blower. Throttle was just above idle. heh heh

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Well we finally got a plowable snow here in central Maine. My first foray with the B2601 and Bx5455hd snowblower combo struggled and slipped to get up some small inclines on the driveway.
So between tire loading, a ballast box, or tire chains which would give me the best chance at gaining traction? I thought chains but im really not excited about the prospect of installing wheel spacers outside in winter....
Tire chains are always the best option for snow/ice but other options will help somewhat in snow.

Your snow blower, if front mounted, is, no doubt, unloading your rear tires so rear ballast, especially behind the rear wheels, e.g., ballast box, will help.

Folks who install wheel spacers rarely, if ever, install/remove such seasonally. Put them on and leave them on. Unless the wheel spacing of your rear tires is adjustable, you will likely need wheel spacers to mount tire chains.

If your driveway is paved, choose the proper type of tire chains to minimize the likelyhood of pavement damage. Go to tirechains.com and read up.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have a BX25D and front snowblower (BX5455HD). I studded my front tires and use rubber chains on my loaded rears. So far, no problems but on SHEER ICE every wheel will lose traction trying to go uphill. You will slide forward or backward which results in a butt-pucker every time! 🤣.
Thankfully, the black ice situation doesn’t happen often. I have used steel chains in the past and they are better on ice, of course, but the rubber chains are a good compromise and easier to put on and off. I do leave my backhoe on all year long since dumping the MMM and going to a zero turn. Much easier all around not having to mess with the MMM which for me, was a pain in the a$$

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
If you have the R4 tires you need chains,, they are skid steer tires I dont know who the brain truss was that thought it was a good idea to use this tire but he should be horse whipped !!!
Skeets! Don't hold back like that! Tell us how you really feel about them! :D

;)

• Haha

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have no problem with R4 tires in the snow. But the lugs on my large rear wheels are deeper than the are on the smaller tractor R4 tires. Maybe that makes a difference. They just appear more aggressive than R4s on smaller tractors.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well the R4s on mine, wet grass yeah not very good at all, the book calls for 40 PSI, stupid if you as me. Snow Ice same same, and mud well you got it of course Im on a hill top so everything is up or down. Lil Bro has a groover back when they raced dirt, so that is next onthe list, and if that dont help, chains, unless I find a set of R14s and I hear they aint all they are cracked up to be either, or turfs at a really good price

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Using
Impressive! Or should i say....

View attachment 94255

A few questions, if I may:

1. What were the temps on that day?
  2. What did it cost to have the grooving done, or did you DIY?
  3. How do the tires perform in summer conditions on pavement, dirt, and mud?
1. The date stamp on pic and weather records indicate it was 16*F, 75% RH and no wind with light snow / ice fog.

2. I borrowed a groover from a friend at work. No cost.

3. I can't say there is any noticeable difference other than in Winter.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I'm pretty happy with my studded R4's, second season now. Not as good as chains in deep snow but way better ride. I'm finding the studs are better control on ice than chains.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Putting on a set of spacers on a B2601 is a piece of cake, even if the rears are loaded. The whole job takes less than an hour.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Putting the spacers is an easy job, but having a healthy stout young man helping makes, it lots easyer. They say to check your torque after a couple hours,,,,, with loaded tires,, yeah thats not happening just sayin