G4200 HST Slow Up Incline

kajun

Equipment
M4700 ,G4200
Mar 28, 2017
St Francisville , La 70775
Folks:
This 30 year plus machine is slow on an incline of 10 to 20°. Hardly pulls at all .

It is difficult to see the transmission fluid. I have measured it multiple times today with the fluid cold and it seems to be full. Have any of you thoughts on what could be the problem. It developed at the end of the mowing season last year. Unit seems to work correctly on level ground. I can find no obvious leaks . Fluid is clear and it is SUDT2 . Obliged for any guidance.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Folks:
This 30 year plus machine is slow on an incline of 10 to 20°. Hardly pulls at all .

It is difficult to see the transmission fluid. I have measured it multiple times today with the fluid cold and it seems to be full. Have any of you thoughts on what could be the problem. It developed at the end of the mowing season last year. Unit seems to work correctly on level ground. I can find no obvious leaks . Fluid is clear and it is SUDT2 . Obliged for any guidance.
It is either the filter or an internal hydrostat issue. That hydrostat is manufactured by Eaton, Kubota does not offer parts for it, they must be gotten from an Eaton dealer.

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
It is either the filter or an internal hydrostat issue. That hydrostat is manufactured by Eaton, Kubota does not offer parts for it, they must be gotten from an Eaton dealer.
Just thinking. If the pump is at the motor and the reservoir is the tranny. Is there a seal from tranny to rear end housing the could be leaking/ Could cause the pump to run low when going uphill. Worth exactly what you paid for it!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just thinking. If the pump is at the motor and the reservoir is the tranny. Is there a seal from tranny to rear end housing the could be leaking/ Could cause the pump to run low when going uphill. Worth exactly what you paid for it!
The pump and motor are in the reservoir, submerged in oil.

kajun

Equipment
M4700 ,G4200
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks ,whitetiger ,BruceP and avviddclif. All very helpful.

This machine is new to me ; coming up on its 3d anniversary with me. I estimate the thing had fewer than 1000 hours on it when I bought it. When I changed the fluids the first time I was surprised how perfectly clean the hydraulic fluid was . When I pulled the HST filter screen to clean [ as recommended ] , it too was perfectly clean .It appears that the machine was well maintained .

You have been very helpful . If changing filter ,fluid and cleaning screen fail to help , the linked Eaton manual will be of great help [ to my mechanic ] . That repair is way above my pay grade .

Deeply obliged .

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600 X2, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
When you replaced the fluids and filter did you raise the rear end and let it "slowly" rotate forward and reverse to get the air out of filter and pump? Ot can be time consuming on this model to get it right.
The pump is mounted high and on the front of the rear axle direct driven from the engine. You can fill the filter before you install it too to let it soak up fluid so this process dosnt take too long.

Reactions: 1 user

kajun

Equipment
M4700 ,G4200
Mar 28, 2017
When you replaced the fluids and filter did you raise the rear end and let it "slowly" rotate forward and reverse to get the air out of filter and pump? Ot can be time consuming on this model to get it right.
The pump is mounted high and on the front of the rear axle direct driven from the engine. You can fill the filter before you install it too to let it soak up fluid so this process dosnt take too long.

kajun

Equipment
M4700 ,G4200
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks Torinodan. No , I didn't know about that requirement.

I changed the filter and replaced the fluid on Saturday . I let it warm up slowly as the Op Manual suggests .

This time I used TSC Traveller Premium Hydraulic fluid. I could tell it was more viscous than the SUDT that I took out . [ SUDT didn't exist when this tractor was manufactured. ] After the fluid change and after very heavily working the tractor for about 45 minutes , the poor pulling seems to either have been cured or greatly diminished . So , either whitetiger was right about a filter blockage or the more viscous fluid is a better fit for this old machine. I like to be optimistic.:)

Obliged to you and all the other posters.