G2160 steering issue

Randy K

Equipment
BX1860, G2160
Jan 10, 2016
Fond du Lac, WI USA
I recently purchased a used G2160-R48S that I knew had a steering issue. it will turn 15 degrees left or right just fine. after that it turns really hard. i know i will have to diagnose further, but to start, am i looking at a power steering unit under the steering wheel or the rack and pinion below on the side of the frame?
randy

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
take the tie rods off of the knuckles and steer it. If it is still hard to steer, you're looking at a steering problem and not a front axle or tie rod end problem.

Randy K

Equipment
BX1860, G2160
Jan 10, 2016
Fond du Lac, WI USA
yes it was. i dont believe the front spindles where ever greased since new. we had to pound out the right hand one w/a sledge hammer. got them out, got rid of the dried up dirty grease, cleaned the zerks and put back together. steers like a dream. now looking for some needle thrust bearing washers to put between the axle and the spindle plate to save on wear there. thank you .

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i used brass (or bronze) washers. Works fine. U can use steel ones too i just had bronze ones laying around in the junk bucket and decided to make use of them

i don't like the idea of a non sealed bearing used there, remember it's a lawn mower...worst possible environment, no suspension, blowing dirt/dust/clippings everywhere, vibration, even with a sealed Torrington, it's still gonna wear out prematurely

Randy K

Equipment
BX1860, G2160
Jan 10, 2016
Fond du Lac, WI USA
back in the early 80's, we had a our Case Lawn & Garden rep point out to use the torrington needle thrust brg on the (at the time) Case 200 and 400 series. it was the cheap mans power steering if you had snowblower on them. we did that to my father in laws 3016 when he bought new in 92, checked them last year and still all together. for the cost, they work great.

Randy K

Equipment
BX1860, G2160
Jan 10, 2016
Fond du Lac, WI USA
set of needle thrust washer bearing under the spindles at the axle, new wheel bearings, steers like a dream. just enough room for the snap ring on the right hand side and get the new steer arm on top on the left.