G2160 bogging down and blowing white smoke at higher RPM

eberisha

Equipment
G2160
Nov 27, 2020
New York
Hi there..... I’m new to the forum so pardon any terminology flukes as I am not a mechanic but somewhat mechanical.
I have owned the G2160 (D782 engine) for 12 yrs with no issues. Tractor has under 400 hrs. Just recently noticed white smoke when reving above half. At idle is fine. After reading the manual there could be fuel injector timing or clogged/ damaged injectors. The flywheel timing mark lines start with half line then full line. I’m assuming 3rd full line is wher it needs to be set at? Also, my battery is completely shot and had to jump start to turn on. Could that have to do anything with fuel system not feeding enough fuel? I plan to get new battery tomorrow. Tractor never had any issue or any smoke and coincidentally smoke and battery started somewhat at the same time.
I plan to change both fuel filters and probably get fresh diesel to rule out clogged filters or bad diesel. I change filters every year and a half and go through 2-3 full tanks a year.
Am I missing anything here?
Any help is appreciated

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You're on the right track, change the fuel filter and if you can drain the fuel and replace with new fuel which is most likely causing your problem, good luck.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I agree with bearbait. Change fuel and filters first. 2 or 3 tanks a year isn't much. Could be bad fuel.

Also, I doubt this issue has a relation to the battery.

As far as timing, diesels operate differently than a gasoline engine. I would not suspect a problem there. Timing is driven by spacers under the injection pump. Unless you've had the IP off, you should be good.

eberisha

Equipment
G2160
Nov 27, 2020
New York
Hey there,
Thanks everyone for the response..... very much appreciated. I confirmed diesel injectors and glow plugs are doing good by loosening slightly each fuel line and each affected idle. Still smoke. Changed filters, still smoke. Made sure fuel cap was ok. Was not sure how to drain diesel tank but with new battery installed today I was able to turn key in contact, disconnect front fuel line and pump the tank. Got new diesel and everything worked good as new. I also have a diesel vehicle and that linear torque predictable power is such a pleasure to deal with.
I maintain the tractor myself and was wondering, is there any 101 kind of work that pros do that a non mechanic would not know to do? My grease fittings on the tractor have more grease than a grease store and I blow compressed air after every use to keep it clean. I’m about to do the 400hr service.
Thanks again for help and suggestions. Cheers!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Your fuel problem may have been due to the lower temperatures and fuel type. Did you have fuel from the summer time in the tank and has the temperature been pretty cold?

eberisha

Equipment
G2160
Nov 27, 2020
New York
Your fuel problem may have been due to the lower temperatures and fuel type. Did you have fuel from the summer time in the tank and has the temperature been pretty cold?
Yes, the gas was from summer/fall. It was not that cold though or is it considered cold hitting just around freezing. Day I had the issue was around 50’s. Odd I never had this issue for 12 yrs.
Would any fuel additive work?
thanks,

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
At 50 degrees F you should not have had a problem but at 32 degrees F it may be the starting point of the gelling point for summer diesel.

I live in Texas so to me 32 is COLD! I don’t think I have ever tried to use the tractor at that temperature down here, we wait a few hours or a few days until it gets more temperate.

But there are treatments to use.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for coming back with the apparent solution. So often folks don’t report what worked, or didn’t work.

Glad she’s back in business!

Reactions: 1 user