G1800 intermittent starter operation

EdK

Equipment
G1800 garden tractor
Jul 28, 2021
Indiana
Occasionally when I attempt to start the diesel engine the starter clicks but doesn’t engage. Battery is fully charged. when it clicks you can feel the starter trying to engage. I’ve replaced the starter with no luck. Sometimes if you roll the starter motor sprocket with your finger or screwdriver and try it again it will engage. When the starter works it seems to operate fine. The problem may occur whether the engine is cold or warm and in cold or warm weather. Electrical connections all seem good. Any suggestions Are appreciated.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The battery is charged. Fine. how old is the battery? Is it possible you only have a surface charge? You may wish to have the battery load tested. From there I'd clean the battery terminals and the connectors on the cables. Tighten the connectors securely on the battery. Follow the ground cable to the frame. Clean and tighten.

KMoJo

Equipment
B2150, G1900
Jan 18, 2020
Granger, Texas, United States
Occasionally when I attempt to start the diesel engine the starter clicks but doesn’t engage. Battery is fully charged. when it clicks you can feel the starter trying to engage. I’ve replaced the starter with no luck. Sometimes if you roll the starter motor sprocket with your finger or screwdriver and try it again it will engage. When the starter works it seems to operate fine. The problem may occur whether the engine is cold or warm and in cold or warm weather. Electrical connections all seem good. Any suggestions Are appreciated.
I sort had the same the symptoms on G1900. turned out to be some bare wires shorting behind the ignition switch at plug connection. Cleaned up the plug and replaced some wire, good to go.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There may be a start circuit relay between the key-switch and the starter solenoid that has burned points. I ran into this on my M4700 and chased safety-switches and battery and wiring and starter motor and starter solenoid and range-lever switch …and on and on ad nauseum…. until I discovered this starter relay. I took it apart, filed the points and it worked better for a couple weeks then gave trouble again.
I found out Kubota gets a ridiculous price for this relay and installed a common automotive 40A relay instead and have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS since. I’ll try to find that post and provide a link:
Here’s the link with pics where I solved the problem (be certain to scroll-back and begin at Post #1)….but Post #6 shows my solution):

Last edited:

EdK

Equipment
G1800 garden tractor
Jul 28, 2021
Indiana
The battery is charged. Fine. how old is the battery? Is it possible you only have a surface charge? You may wish to have the battery load tested. From there I'd clean the battery terminals and the connectors on the cables. Tighten the connectors securely on the battery. Follow the ground cable to the frame. Clean and tighten.
Roadworthy. Thanks but I tried connecting a strong battery pack to no avail. I also jumper cabled from starter housing to negative battery post to insure a good ground and that didn’t help.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
First check all the safety switches. (brake, PTO, etc). Failing that understand Kubota has a strange way of running the wiring. Everything runs from the "ign" switch then to the safety interlocks, finally to the starter relay/solenoid. Had the same issue with my G2160. Was driving me nuts tracking everything down. I finally fixed it by adding a relay in the starter circuit. I get strong start first time every time. Look at this thread or search for anything else by me on the subject
(4) Another No starter rotation thread | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota