Fueling your Tractor

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All,
My assumption is that if y'all live on farms, you probably have large diesel/gasoline tanks from which to fuel your equipment. Cool. I wish I lived on a farm!
But those of us with some acreage that enjoy tractors probably have a different approach. So I started looking around on various sites to see what works.
I am trying never to have to lift a heavy can up to my tractor to fuel it. What are ya'll doing??
Here are products and ideas I found.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I picked up a 100 gallon transfer tank from Tractor Supply. I mounted it to some wood (think 2x4 and 2x6 home made pallet). I can pick it up with the tractor forks. I am using a hand pump from TSC. When I need to fill it goes in the back of the truck to the station, then back to the property.

The tank is a DeeZee but I dont see it on TSC anymore…supply chain 2020.

Here is the pump https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gpi-hp-90-hand-pump. I added an inline water filter and a sensor to measure the volume pumped.

It works great.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That last video of the guy being so proud of his modifications of that little gas-tank… he thinks he’s made it difficult for anyone to “steal” the gas out of his gas-can. LOLOL. …. All anyone has to do is disconnect or CUT that clear-tube “gauge” he made on the end at the top if the tube….and that clear tube becomes a delivery-hose to drain that entire tank.
He has gone to a lot of trouble to add locks to the tank…then he added a method for them to get the gas anyway… :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have a Tera pump. While it does work, it is slow, the auto shut off unpredictable. It tends to still drip and spill, especially when moving from can to can. I gave up on it. Fortunately, I got it when they were cheap. Price is now two to four times what I paid.
I did contact the manufacturer about the auto shutoff. They told me to mail it back and they'd replace it. Except the USPS will not accept a fumey gasoline item for shipment. I suppose I could of sealed it in a bag and that inside another bag of coffee grounds..... Funny thing about the video for this, the spout he removed from the can works very well for filing small engines as the shut off is instant and very little flows (like a table spoon) when released. I have a 1.5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon of these for gasoline.

With my BX, I have a JustRite five gallon metal can that I only fill with four gallons. Add various fuel preservative products. Light enough that hoisting it is easy. The on/off handle works great and metal flex hoes is very controllable. I can rest/position the can, get the spout in the fuel tank and easily fill with noting more than a drop or two spilled. Diesel is much more sneaky than gasoline!
I found that a PVC external end cap (plumbing part) fits snugly over the spout to keep debris out. I do not run my tractor enough to justify anything more.

Last edited:

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA
I use something similar to the terapump thing ..it works for me
Takes about 3 minutes to empty my 5 gallon can I don't trust the auto shut off so I just stand there and watch it

bsekf

Premium Member

Equipment
m5400
Jul 27, 2013
Western NY
I use a TeraPump A-TREP03-001, they are not very durable, this is my third one. When they work they are great. I see they have one for a 55 gallon drum now and it uses a li-ion battery.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I bought this pump kit from Amazon Diesel Pump Kit
At the time I made a small shelf for it in the garage next to the tractor and my generator. It runs on 12 volts and can empty a 5 gallon jug in 15-20 seconds.
I get my 'diesel fuel' from my heating oil tanks in the basement. I find I am using the tractor more and more lately. Its getting old carrying 3 or 4 of those jugs up when they are all empty though.
So I've decided to get a 55 gallon drum, put in on a drum dolly and mount the pump on the top cover. I'm also going to put a 2" fill and vent with a ventalarm on the cover so the oil man can easily fill it when he makes a regular delivery.
That's the plan - I'll post some progress pix when I start.

Reactions: 1 user

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I have the 30gallon Handy. It works very well and I like that I can turn the handle reverse to pump the residual fuel back out of my Mr Funnel AF8CB Fuel Filter.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
CD274DEB-2B26-46A5-B644-3A052D0E321E.jpeg

Flo-Fast for me. I have 2 of the 10 gallon containers and the manual rotary pump. Still have to lift them out of wife’s SUV 🚙😬

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I bought this pump kit from Amazon Diesel Pump Kit
At the time I made a small shelf for it in the garage next to the tractor and my generator. It runs on 12 volts and can empty a 5 gallon jug in 15-20 seconds.
I get my 'diesel fuel' from my heating oil tanks in the basement. I find I am using the tractor more and more lately. Its getting old carrying 3 or 4 of those jugs up when they are all empty though.
So I've decided to get a 55 gallon drum, put in on a drum dolly and mount the pump on the top cover. I'm also going to put a 2" fill and vent with a ventalarm on the cover so the oil man can easily fill it when he makes a regular delivery.
That's the plan - I'll post some progress pix when I start.
That may be your plan, but the oil company might not want to fill a 55 gallon drum because it isn't an approved container. Ultimately, the oil delivery company is responsible for spills if they fill an unapproved container. I purchased a 165 gallon Roth oil tank for my generator and tractor, and it is an approved oil container, so there is no problem.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
For me I collected (8) 1.5 gallon plastic jugs from work that had gun powder in them. They are black and short so they don't turn over easily in back of truck. They are not DOT approved containers nor do they have some crappy pouring spouts, just a screw on lid.

For me this works great, after I use 5 or 6 of them I'll stop on way home from work and fill them up. I keep my tractor at 3/4 or above. When it gets to 3/4 I grab 2 and fill it up.

When I head to the deer lease I'll throw 3 or 4 in the truck.

They are not heavy to lift, I'll sit them on the hood stick in my funnel and pour.

I had thought about a system where I could mount a drum to a pallet and place in truck then off load with tractor when back home.

I just like the idea of my 1.5 gallon jug system, keeps fresh fuel on hand, easy to lift, easy to carry with me to the lease, it just works for me. Someone going through much more fuel this would be far from ideal.

Be stopping my tomorrow to fill 6 of them, tractor full but only 2 full ones in barn.

Best of luck
Jay

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
My 50gal fuel can

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have something like this that I bought at Harbor Freight a few years ago. I don't see it listed there now:

I rigged it to a plastic 55 gallon drum and fashioned a solid pickup tube. I spliced a "flat two" trailer type plug on it and both tractors. The drum is just inside the shed door, so the hose reaches the parked L4240 inside as well as anything pulled up outside the overhead door.

We use gas points from the local supermarkets for discounted gas and diesel. Although not the perfect solution, we haul 5 gallon jugs and dump them into the drum. Still a whole lot easier than hoisting cans over the tractor hoods.

Recently became the owner of a tow-behind light tower with a Kubota-powered diesel generator. Will toss the lights, save the telescoping steel mast for material for other projects and use it as a tow-behind generator. With the lighting mast removed, there's a spot for a large tool box.

We do have a portable gasoline generator that isn't very portable. I can't load or unload it on a truck or trailer without picking it with the FEL. The tow-behind will be really handy for dragging it where needed. It can power my welders, plasma cutter and any of the corded tools needed. The fuel tank is large enough to use as a fuel hauler for replenishing the tractor fuel drum. All I need is to find time to get to work on it:)

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
That may be your plan, but the oil company might not want to fill a 55 gallon drum because it isn't an approved container. Ultimately, the oil delivery company is responsible for spills if they fill an unapproved container. I purchased a 165 gallon Roth oil tank for my generator and tractor, and it is an approved oil container, so there is no problem.
should have called me DustyRusty - my company distributes them. Odds are whomever you got it from, got it from us.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
DSCN0195.JPG

!5 gallon barrel 5 bucks, 12 volt HF Diesel fuel pump with coupon 80 bucks, HF 2 wheel dolly 15 bucks. And it will fuel both tractors pumps about 1 gallon a min. Cheap easy and works for me

BIGO

Equipment
M5660suhd X1140 RVT
Sep 13, 2018
Fl
I have a 38 gallon truck bed fuel tank with a 12 volt pump. Easiest way i know of.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Refurbished both my old bulk tanks about a year ago and had them filled at $1.34 a gallon. One is 200 gal., the other a 300 gallon tank. Two close neighbors also draw off them. It should carry us through two years. Would be nice when empty if the price was back down again. Only one year to go.
Bulk Tank Labeling.jpg

Now if the scrap metal price would jump back up, the pile of metal behind the tanks could go. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Refurbished both my old bulk tanks about a year ago and had them filled at $1.34 a gallon. One is 200 gal., the other a 300 gallon tank. Two close neighbors also draw off them. It should carry us through two years. Would be nice when empty if the price was back down again. Only one year to go.
View attachment 67789

Now if the scrap metal price would jump back up, the pile of metal behind the tanks could go. :)

Hilarious! Who said fueling had to be boring!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How do you fill it, just detach and put in the truck?
No I fill 3 5 gallon cans a lot easyer to wrestle around and the use a funnel in the small hole and til the cans over. I have another blue barrel I am going to use a valve in the small bung and fill through the large one then with a short piece of hose let it drain into the one on the dolly. Yes I know a lot of fooling around for some.