Fuel tank

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Well finally had the time to repair my leaking fuel tank on my M9000. Been putting it off all hay season. Never could figure out why it was leaking because I hadn't hit anything. After grinding off the factory weld from around the drain plug I don't see how it made it this long. It was full of small holes, probably 8 or 10 that I could see. Hate to weld on tanks of any kind but so far it looks like it's fixed.

Big plus for me was getting to spend the afternoon with my son. Never realized how hard it would be on me not having him here all the time. Funny, I don't recall getting any advice about this from pop. Guess this is one of those find out for yourself kind of things.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
When I bought my M9 cab tractor (new), I parked it on the concrete pad and noticed I had a drip. Turned out the bung was leaking... Called my dealer and he got me a new one that I installed myself. Right side. Gave him the old one back. Hasn't leaked since. My other one don't leak either.

How did you weld it? Fill it with water first? Not keen on welding on fuel tanks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Big plus for me was getting to spend the afternoon with my son.
Very nice, Bulldog.

My son is only 20, away to college (3rd year) and an aspiring MD. His twin sisters are nearly 7 years older, are successful, and live far away (Philly and Monterey Bay, CA).

At 16-17, he was incorrigible. His best friend committed suicide. One day I honestly was ready to beat him to a pulp. He's 6'5", but the ol' man is 6'4"/ 230, and he knows a force to be reckoned with when provoked. :eek:

This summer, he wrecked his car in a fender-bender. The old Buick wasn't worth fixing with 140K miles on it. He and I spent some time together commuting to/from work until HE found another. I could tell a phase had passed, and he had indeed grown up. He appreciated Dad's help in finding another set of wheels.

Lately, he's had some living quarters/lease issues at college. He's now the self-appointed leader of the household, and has done a stellar job of it.

Mature beyond his years. Has steady work, as he has since 16, Dean's List, and really focusing on the future. Mom and Dad did okay....:D

He's still 20 and sometimes it shows, but I'm proud to say he's a good kid...

He's looking forward to the holidays; to see his sisters, his prospective brother-in-laws, as well as mom and dad.

I'm looking forward to it as well....;)

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
How did you weld it? Fill it with water first? Not keen on welding on fuel tanks.
I washed it out to remove all the fuel. The turned the wire speed all the way down and blew argon in the tank until all the diesel smell was gone. After that just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Filling with water may have been a good choice but I didn't think of that. Either way it worked out. I didn't blow anything up and so far it seems like I plugged the leak.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
RCW, it's a proud moment to see what we taught them being put to good use as they grow up. My son is 22 and less than a month away from his own son being born. Always been a good kid and I hope I've kept him pointed in the right direction. Seem to be doing fine to this point but he has no idea how his world is fixing to change when the little one arrives.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Mine just turned 17....doing really good so far.....the hardest part is not imparting my teenage behavior prevention onto him.

Incredibly rewarding!

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine is a Georgia Highway Patrol officer (K9). Sure a long way from up here to down there. and I have grand kids too.

Not keen on his choice of profession but his choice, not mine.