Fuel pump relay?

Mark Alderson

Equipment
BX 26
Mar 31, 2010
Brownsburg, IN, USA
I have a BX 26 - battery ran down (would not start) - charged battery started tractor and used it for several hours. I parked it and went to shut it off- engine would not shut off with ignition switch. In the process of trying to figure out what was going on I turned the headlight switch on and the engine quit. Restarted the engine and turned it off - will not quit unless I turn the headlights on.
When the tractor is off and I turn the headlights off I can hear a relay clicking.
The tractor is 1.5 years old with 145 hours on it. What should I replace? Or should I just take it to a dealer.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I have a BX 26 - battery ran down (would not start) - charged battery started tractor and used it for several hours. I parked it and went to shut it off- engine would not shut off with ignition switch. In the process of trying to figure out what was going on I turned the headlight switch on and the engine quit. Restarted the engine and turned it off - will not quit unless I turn the headlights on.
When the tractor is off and I turn the headlights off I can hear a relay clicking.
The tractor is 1.5 years old with 145 hours on it. What should I replace? Or should I just take it to a dealer.

First things first - Check all of your fuses. A blown fuse can cause this. Also the click you are hearing should have always been there. It is a timer delay relay and fuel shut off solenoid. This timer delay relay may also be suspect. But fuses first :)

If it's not a fuse, report back promplty :D

Good luck,
Scott

Last edited:

Mark Alderson

Equipment
BX 26
Mar 31, 2010
Brownsburg, IN, USA
I will check the fuses.
The clicking is with the ignition off -- and the light switch off -- if i turn the light switch on the clicking stops.
let me check the fuses and make sure all of my information is correct.

Thanks,
Mark

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I will check the fuses.
The clicking is with the ignition off -- and the light switch off -- if i turn the light switch on the clicking stops.
let me check the fuses and make sure all of my information is correct.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
I bet I know why your battery died after I thought about it.
On BX tractors the fuel shut off solenoid is normal open - power close.

With normal operation during shut down the timer relay will send voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid closing it for about ten seconds. After that time the relay relaxes and the solenoid opens again waiting for you to restart.

When your battery died it was probably because the timer relay stuck in shut down mode holding the solenoid closed, thus killing the battery.

Find the shut off solenoid on your tractor, turn the key to run for about five seconds (ball park) then turn the key switch off while observing the shut off solenoid. It should make a notable click as the timer relay is closing it. You can also put your finger on it to try and feel it happen. This is of course under normal operation.

Now, disconnect the connector from the fuel shut off solenoid and leave it off. Turn the key switch ON for say five seconds, no less. Now turn the key switch OFF and if you hear repetitive clicking it has to be the Timer Relay bad. Perhaps one to two clicks would be normal. One for the relay closing and several seconds later another click for opening.

On the connector you removed from the fuel solenoid you can probe it with a meter. Hopefully there is only two wires but find the one that is fed from the timer relay. Now with the key on for five seconds then off you should get voltage at the connector for several seconds then it will go away. If there is no voltage when key off then the timer relay is bad.

Here is a link to see the timer relay. It should go to your tractor model. Type " T0070-31410 " in the part number window and click search current model. Should be item number 40. At $80 I would try at least what I mentioned above, those are pricey.

Good luck,
Scott

Last edited: