Fuel issue

Rlandrum

Equipment
L4630
Feb 17, 2013
Kansas
I did the most stupid thing after owning my tractor for several years. I pushed to get something done thinking I had enough fuel and of course ran out. I have bled the cock valve and all the lines and it still won’t start??

Any advice is much appreciated for a stupid mistake!
Thanks.

Rlandrum

Equipment
L4630
Feb 17, 2013
Kansas
I also meant to mention in my last post that I changed the filter. I also checked the in line filter after changing the sediment filter and fuel is getting to the injectors.

Help!

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Now, how did you verify that fuel is getting to the injectors? Are you assuming that because it's getting to the injection pump, or did you loosen the connection and verify that there is fuel there?

Last edited by a moderator:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Odds are real good "after owning my tractor for several years' that there IS water in the fuel tank.
I don't know how easy it is, but I'd drain the tank,not use that fuel, replace filter(s), use new fuel.
Put battery on charger too.
Start 'fresh'. Since tractor was running fine, once primed, she should be as good as new....

Reactions: 1 user

Rlandrum

Equipment
L4630
Feb 17, 2013
Kansas
I disconnected at the injection pump and had fuel there as well as fuel in the lines to the top of the cylinders. I put new filter in it, and the in-line filter was still good. I bled the lines and it would run for about three seconds and then dies. After a few times of that it just turns over now but doesn’t start at all even for just a few seconds. The battery was charged over night so it is fully charged. All new fuel was put in it, so I just cannot figure out what is going wrong?
Thanks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any chance glow plugs aren't getting HOT ?
Depending on how cold it is, you may need more time to get enough HEAT into the cylinders to get the diesel to ignite.
I know my forklift needs 2-3-4-7 trys before it'll keep going.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I did the most stupid thing after owning my tractor for several years. I pushed to get something done thinking I had enough fuel and of course ran out. I have bled the cock valve and all the lines and it still won’t start??

Any advice is much appreciated for a stupid mistake!
Thanks.
Did you leave the bleed valve open? You need to leave it open until the engine starts. It'll run at low load with it open. Also, open the throttle at least halfway until it starts.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I disconnected at the injection pump and had fuel there as well as fuel in the lines to the top of the cylinders.
Clarify what lines or line EXACTY did you remove or loosen?

And because you opened it up, your more then likely going to have to manually bled the lines to the injectors.

Only crack the lines at the injectors, set the throttle to medium, and crank in short intervals to purge all the air out of the system, keep doing the bled till you get only fuel no foaming (air).
Tighten then restart.