Fuel consumption

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Keep in mind that the new tractors (for the most part) use diesel fuel to regen so they use more fuel than the pre- tier 4 engines. My M's are real frugal on fuel but PTO load (depending on implement and power requirement) causes consumption to go up. never tracked it, it gets low I pump in more.

One of the major reasons I went with a 2 speed (540-1000 rpm) pto. The power requirements on my hay tools is such that I can afford to run the engines at reduced rpm and power output as well as lower fuel consumption and still have enough pto output for the hay tools to perform correctly.

I see no point in running the engine at rated rpm to achieve 540 when I can run the engine at basically 1/3 rated rpm to achieve 540 with the 1000 rpm 21 spline output. Only drawback that I can see is you need a 21-6 spline adapter to run 6 spline implements.

One thing I did have to add was a 12 volt auxillary fan to the AC condenser under the hood to enhance the airflow through it at reduced engine rpm. There wasn't sufficient airflow through the ac condenser, the intercooler and the radiator combined to provide sufficient heat exchange, especially at the AC condenser which on my units is the farthest from the radiator fan.

Interestingly, when I owned a 5030 HSTC cab model, I also had air flow issues through the ac condenser, the HST cooler and the radiator and I had to add rubber deflectors to channel the air flow and an auxillary 12 volt cooling fan as well.
Bingo.

I have EPTO on my M9960 and nearly always use it when mowing. Operating the engine at around 1,750 RPM results in about 600 PTO RPM.

Saves fuel and revolutions.

My gear drive 9960 uses considerably less fuel to mow the same parcels with a 7' cutter than does my L6060 HST with a 6' cutter. Much less. It also does so in less time. HSTs are convenient but inefficient.

SDT

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
SDT,

Even though the hp output on your 9960 is reduced at lower RPM's, you are closer to the peak torque band. Believe the past spike in fuel costs and consistently high European energy costs, spurred the inclusion of the EPTO feature.

Also enticed farmers to invest in new equipment they might not otherwise purchase. It does however require a tractor that exceeds the power requirement for the task, to allow a reduction in output. A M7060 may not turn that 7 ft rotary in tall grass, to your satisfaction. I found the sweep action for two blades to be excessive for a 7 ft rotation. Sold mine, the 8 ft rotary w/ twin spindles, 4 blades, seems to demand less effort. Less wind-rowing as well. The 8ft offset type eliminates need for 3rd gearbox.

No one would dispute the HST lacks effieiency. Agree a dedicated gear drive tractor is superior for any sustained field mowing. I am among the fortunate to own multiple tractors for specific tasks. Certainly the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT,

Even though the hp output on your 9960 is reduced at lower RPM's, you are closer to the peak torque band. Believe the past spike in fuel costs and consistently high European energy costs, spurred the inclusion of the EPTO feature.

Also enticed farmers to invest in new equipment they might not otherwise purchase. It does however require a tractor that exceeds the power requirement for the task, to allow a reduction in output. A M7060 may not turn that 7 ft rotary in tall grass, to your satisfaction. I found the sweep action for two blades to be excessive for a 7 ft rotation. Sold mine, the 8 ft rotary w/ twin spindles, 4 blades, seems to demand less effort. Less wind-rowing as well. The 8ft offset type eliminates need for 3rd gearbox.

No one would dispute the HST lacks effieiency. Agree a dedicated gear drive tractor is superior for any sustained field mowing. I am among the fortunate to own multiple tractors for specific tasks. Certainly the best of both worlds.
Bingo.

Seven foot rotary cutters are far from ideal for multiple reasons. I bought mine for use with a 60 PTO HP MF that (thankfully) is now gone. I'm currently shopping for a 12' or 15' BW for use with the 9960.

I, too, use specific tractors for specific purposes and very rarely change implements.

SDT

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
SDT,

Something to consider. Preface this remark w/ the preference for domestic made products.

MK Martin in Canada offers a batwing w/ three blades on each stump jumper.

Results in a better cut result. Also US dollar is currently strong against the Canadian Currency. Just a thought.

Big Gee Tn

Equipment
L2501
Dec 12, 2018
White Pine,tn
As I mentioned previously,I'm not fussing about my 2501 fuel usage,it just uses more than my Ford 601 does. Having power steering ,live power,front end loader and 4wd makes it so much more safer and enjoyable to operate.I just filled it up at 21.8 hrs and will be more precise on my figures. It came with a full tank(10gal)and this makes 16 gallons (6 of this today)I have added.Thanks all ,for the responses.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
SDT,

Something to consider. Preface this remark w/ the preference for domestic made products.

MK Martin in Canada offers a batwing w/ three blades on each stump jumper.

Results in a better cut result. Also US dollar is currently strong against the Canadian Currency. Just a thought.
Both good and bad.

I keep all of my mower blades sharp.

Doing so takes time and effort. Sharpening nine rather than six takes even more time and effort.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bingo.

I have EPTO on my M9960 and nearly always use it when mowing. Operating the engine at around 1,750 RPM results in about 600 PTO RPM.

Saves fuel and revolutions.

My gear drive 9960 uses considerably less fuel to mow the same parcels with a 7' cutter than does my L6060 HST with a 6' cutter. Much less. It also does so in less time. HSTs are convenient but inefficient.

SDT
That option wasn't available when I purchased the M9 and the 105 though JD had it back then so I went with the 2 speed (2 shaft) PTO. I considered the shift lever 2 speed but the shift lever is in the way in an already cluttered up back end. I only optioned the M9 that way as well as the creep gears. The 105 is single speed 540.

Only drawback with the 2 shaft setup is changing the output stub. Like JD, you have to pop a circlip to pull the shaft and the tractor has to be sitting on a downslope or the transmission fluid runs out and makes a mess so I leave the 21 spine in all the time. The 6 spine is in the shop in the toolbox.

The 96" Landpride I bought last fall with 2 swing blades does a nice job far as I can see. No chopper will give you a lawmower cut anyway and blade tip speed is everything (as is sharpness) and the tip speed on the Landpride 96" is pretty high. I almost bought a batwing and may if I can find a used one in good condition at a farm auction but for my use, the 96 works fine.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
So far my 2650 has taken 21 hours to burn thru 12 gallons, so ... 0.57 gph. That's all been bucket, back hoe, and box blade work. 12 gallons seems awefull cheap compared to the amount of sheer work it's produced.

It has been the same experience with my B2650. I have a 1000 hrs on mine now, and have averaged .6 gph running at pto rpm doing all kinds of chores.
It has been a very good tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
On the B7510 with light snow blowing duties today I ran 1.4 hours on 4 litres, so just a wee tad over 1 US gallon. Contrast this with my previous results of 1 gallon/hour with full load snow blowing. How hard you are working the tractor, what percentage of total rated horsepower you're using, very much influences fuel burn.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
L245DT gear drive averaged 0.5 GPH (gal/hr)
ZD326 hydrostatic averages 1 GPH
TC55DA EHSS averaged about 1.2 GPH
M59 hydrostatic averages between 1-1.5GPH depending on what equipment Im running and outside temperatures.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
My old 8Ns used one gph and when I got my B2650 it seemed to be a big improvement. I have about 110 hours on it and I am sure it is 1/2 gph or better. Have only had to plow two times this year so still have some summer fuel in it, have it treated of course and topped off with #1 winter diesel.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
For comparison I have a Gr L 6060. Uses about 1 GPH at 2000 RPM up to PTO540 RPM doing light work. Mowing, chipping Back Hoe type work. With the front mount hydraulic snow blower it looks like it will be 1.5 to 2 GPM.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I don't have a 2501 but I do have a B2920 which has a few more HP despite being in a smaller frame size tractor. To me, that is a very efficient machine. Most of it's life is spent operating wide open. I think it only holds 6 gallons.

My 2002 L4310 GST also seemed very fuel efficient. My current MX4800 seems to use a fair bit more fuel.

Spanky5476

Equipment
2017 Grand L 3560 Cab HST with 805 loader and BH 92 Backhoe
May 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Dang that's a lot of GPH for a 37 HP tractor. My M7040(70 HP) uses 2.5 GPH pulling my JD 467 rd baler making 4X5.5 bales. My JD 4255(133 HP) on uses 3.2 GPH pulling same rd baler making same size bales
2.5 Gallons per hour seems very high to me for a 37 hp , are you sure thats not Litres per hour ? My 2017 Grand L 3560 ( 37 HP) Averages 2.8 Liters per hour and i have about 950 Hrs on it now. I Really like how the Computer station in this tractor monitors everything and is simple to access all the info !

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
My 3301 uses quite a bit more fuel than my earlier 3 banger I had in a 90's era smaller K tractor, more power so that's expected, but it does make me wonder how much is attributable to the whole DEF system, and having to basically keep the revs up more.
I just mowed yesterday for the first time this year, with my recently restored Jacobson commercial flail mower, that has the same 3 banger as my earlier tractor, like it it seems to almost burn NO fuel, as compared to the l3301.

CKNPRO

Equipment
L4701 HST
Apr 16, 2021
Alabama
I have not measured G/H yet, but from a day's usage mowing pasture, I can say the 47hp Bota uses more fuel that the 48hp MF it replaced. But Perkins diesels were known to be fuel sippers... I wouldn't trade back for the difference;)

Timman

Equipment
l6060
Apr 6, 2021
usa
I have not measured G/H yet, but from a day's usage mowing pasture, I can say the 47hp Bota uses more fuel that the 48hp MF it replaced. But Perkins diesels were known to be fuel sippers... I wouldn't trade back for the difference;)
This reminded me, i have l6060, after first oil change the thing gained about 1 gph...i checked several times. the only thing i changed was the oil and brand..