fuel additive question

Oldstuff

Equipment
L 3400
Jun 1, 2022
Missouri
Again, I am new to deseils (sp?). So far I m using Howe's with my fuel at the recommended ratio. Does it hurt if I add a bit more than what is rcommended on the label? How much more?
Oldstuff

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
What I use is Two-Cycle TC-W3 Oil - Outboards, Personal Water Craft (PWC’s), Snowmobiles, this is the same thing I use in my 1999 Dodge Ram Diesel since they reduce the sulfur lubrication for the injector pump. I have an older B7800 Kuboata. The newer trucks were built around the new diesel fuel. 1oz per gallon of diesel

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I went to the Howes website, but didn't see any info listed about overtreatment. I know Stabil states on their website that overtreatment is okay. My recommendation is drop Howes an email and ask them.

STA-BIL® Diesel All-Season is an advanced all year formula for all your diesel additive needs. It cleans and lubricates fuel injectors, provides anti-gel protection down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit and also boosts cetane. This product is safe for all diesel engines and it comes packaged in an easy pour, non-slip, 20-ounce bottle that treats up to 150 gallons of fuel.

USAGE DIRECTIONS:
Pour contents of bottle into tank before fill-up to aid mixing with fuel.
Over treatment, use of entire bottle or more frequent use is safe and will not harm engine.
Promptly clean up spills from vehicle finish. Do not use in gasoline engines.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
More isn't necessarily better. However, I can say that even quadrupled doses don't bother a newer truck with all the nanny state sensors and such. A guy on the truck forum poured 16 ounces in a 26 gallon tank and he didn't blow up his ride.
Howes is excellent stuff for the dollar. If you don't need the anti gel then the Defender would be my recommendation. Either one is good for regular usage.
Oil, 2 stroke oil and transmission fluid are NOT recommended for anything with a DPF or EGR.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
…. A guy on the truck forum poured 16 ounces in a 26 gallon tank and he didn't blow up his ride.
….
Well now…. THAT is CERTAINLY a REASSURING GUARANTEE for people on THIS forum,….heh?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Again, I am new to deseils (sp?). So far I m using Howe's with my fuel at the recommended ratio. Does it hurt if I add a bit more than what is rcommended on the label? How much more?
Oldstuff
Won't hurt, but does no good to use more. Typically, only about 0.15% is needed.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
For my BX I only treat my fuel during the winter to stop Gelling. I use the white bottle of Power Service. Mainly because it is inexpensive, easily available and does the job.

On my ‘88 Ford IDI that I used to drive, I would use ash less 2 cycle oil in the fuel to help lubricant things. Then use it and Power Service in the winter. I would throw in a quart of ATF every once in a while. It never complained, but then agian it would run-on almost anything. Vegetable oil, motor oil, furnace fuel oil…..etc etc.