Front wheels

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Need some input.

I was helping bale hay last week and one of the other tractors was a M9000 like mine. As it was coming thru the field I thought to myself, it sure looks wide. End of the day I looked it over and the front and rear wheels both were set as wide as they could go. I remember reading several times (about L series) not to reverse the front disk because it's hard on bearings and it will cause the seals to leak.
Does this also apply to the M series tractors?

This is 1 of 3 9000s that he runs so far he has had no front end issues that I know of. Is he just lucky or does this rule not apply to the bigger tractors?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes the Larger M's are exempt from the "rule" of not reversing the tires and rims. :D

In fact most have multiple different options for width. ;)

I think it has more to do with the fact that they could be used for several different crop widths. :)

So yes if you would like you could safely widen yours! :cool:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks Wolfman,

I'm pretty happy with mine although I get in a few spots where wider would be better but I guess if it was wider I would just got steeper than what I do now and still end up in the same boat. I do have the cast centers on the rear and really there's only been a few times that I've felt uncomfortable on slopes. I guess if I really did a lot of work on hills I would make it as wide as it would go.

Funny, the M's are already more stable because of the width and you can make them as wide as you want. The B's and L's need the width and you can't because it will damage the tractor. Does that seem dumb to anyone else?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Id imagine the bearings and seals were designed around the widest foot print available. Same idea as rock-krawlers or in my line of work, HVAC. If a sheave is too far out on a shaft, it will grenade the bearing pack much faster. The whole fulcrum/lever deal....

Id love to be 4-6" wider on the front of my B7610, but its not feasible...

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Bulldog...... my manual only stipulates about keeping the track narrow and talks about damage only in reference to having a FEL in use. Otherwise I'd go with okay......

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
ETRon,

The 9000 my friend owns is why I started this thread, it does have a loader and he never takes it off. It's a little newer than mine (going by the serial number) and his front tires are worn just about completely out. Not that the tire wear has anything to do with the width but he's got to be carrying more weight than I am.

sstrac

Equipment
M9000 Tractor, JBar 7' Rotary Cutter
Jun 3, 2015
berryville, ar US
Interesting post, I have an M9000 and a very steep farm. I was looking into wider tires but this may help me (reversing rims) so very interested in this option.

Does anyone else have opinions on this reversal thought for front tires?